Burning more calories then eaten

Options
deup
deup Posts: 129 Member
I am wondering what happens if you burn more calories then you eat in any given day? Assuming your eating 1500+ calories.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    That is called eating at a deficit. If you keep it up, you will decrease body weight
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    deup wrote: »
    I am wondering what happens if you burn more calories then you eat in any given day? Assuming your eating 1500+ calories.

Mean like you ate 1600 calories but burned 1800 in 3 hours of cardio exercises?
  • deup
    Options
    Yeah something like that. Example one day i ate 1500 calories, burned off 2700 in biking,walking and misc. And i was already minus 1000 calories from my maintance lvl.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you're burning a large number of calories through exercise and your intake is lower than your exercise calorie burn the result will be lean mass loss. Maybe not one day of doing it or even one day per month of doing it. Doing it frequently will result in lean mass loss.
  • deup
    Options
    When u mean lean mass loss is that muscle loss or fat?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    lean body mass is everything that isn't fat. This includes muscles, bone, organs, etc.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    When u mean lean mass loss is that muscle loss or fat?

Muscle, connective tissue, bone, organs, pretty much everything except fat.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Your body can only burn a certain amount of fat per day. If your body fat is high you can burn a lot more fat than if your body fat is on the lower side. If your body burns 4,000 calories in a day from normal activity, exercise, and basic body function and you give it 1500 calories it has to make up those 2,500 calories from something and it's often muscle.

I believe the rate is 31 calories per pound of body fat per day. If you only have 10 pounds of fat it means your body will only give you 310 calories from body fat, the rest needs to come from food or your body will use muscle. Same thing applies if you don't eat adequate protein (it's essential and your body will break down muscle for protein) or do resistance training of some sort.
  • deup
    Options
    Thank you guy:). Atm i am at 255lbs i been debating on pushing myself a little harder and longer on the bike. Been wondering if i just maintained the same calories eaten but lossing more during my biking sessions once or twice a week apart of my daily 1 hour sessions daily, how would the body respond to it.. So atm its safe but once i get lower in weight then could cause problems. If i understand correctly
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Thank you guy:). Atm i am at 255lbs i been debating on pushing myself a little harder and longer on the bike. Been wondering if i just maintained the same calories eaten but lossing more during my biking sessions once or twice a week apart of my daily 1 hour sessions daily, how would the body respond to it.. So atm its safe but once i get lower in weight then could cause problems. If i understand correctly

The above member is female. You can edit your comment and say thanks gal or just thanks though.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

The above member is female. You can edit your comment and say thanks gal or just thanks though.

I wondered about that, but just told myself he meant to say "thank you guys" :bigsmile:
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You die
  • usmcmp
    Options

I think I'm so used to that now that I don't even notice. :laugh: