Intermittent Fasting

Options
What's your feedback with intermittent Fasting and have u seen results?

Replies

• kelleymarie1993
    kelleymarie1993 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been intermittent fasting since the last week of April 2016. I've lost 10lbs. I started with 5:2 and have switched over to alternate day fasting. If you need any help/support you can follow the struggle here:

http://everyotherdayfasting.tumblr.com/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Here are links to a couple of the MFP groups

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

Anything that helps you control your calorie intake in a consistent manner will help you lose weight.

Alternate day dieting is another method (more aggressive) for very over weight people.
  • Breizier
    Breizier Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I always have decent results with alternate day fasting. If nothing else it kick starts me for a while. I have recently started dieting (AGAIN!!!) and lost 10lbs in 2 weeks this way. Binged for my birthday (+5lbs), then went on to being sensible calorie counting, dropped 2lbs then stuck for 2 out of the last 3 weeks.

The IF where you restrict your meals to a shortened timeslot doesn't work for me. That's how I got fat in the first place. Eating nothing all day and basically eating the equivalent of 3 meals in 4 hours between 6pm and 10pm then going to bed an hour or so later on a full stomach.

Work out what suits you, what you can maintain then go for it.

"......do as I say not as I do."
  • alyrgomez
    alyrgomez Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been doing intermittent fasting for over 46 days now and went from 29.3% Bodyfat to 24% in that time frame. I have been supplementing with BCAAs, Beta-Alanine, Creatine and Hemp Protein this whole time too. Feeling great
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I see work colleges do the 5-2 diet. They always. Always put weight back on as its not sustainable to do and love life!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I did 5:2 and found it far easier to lose weight than every day calorie restriction.

Been maintaining successfully for 3 years.*

*ETA
    I've maintained on 5:2, 6:1, every day the same, 16:8, logging food, not logging food. I like to experiment! It's all taught me something.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I use IF and also count calories and macros. I like it - it helps me to have bigger evening meals.
  • poncho1892
    poncho1892 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had success with IF(5:2 16/8) last year, 2015 and lost (2stone/28lbs) before a holiday in roughly 9 wks.
    I came back off holiday and over a yr put it all back on!
    I go on holiday again in 4 wks and ive been doing IF (5:2/18:6) for the last 2 wks, already lost half a stone (7lbs) and im religiously counting calories and macros through MFP. The weird thing is that its been easier than last year and I because of that I feel like IF will be a life choice for me going forward. I typically wake around 0530 then fast until 16:00, its not that hard if you have a black filter coffee when you get hungry, normally ill have 1 at 9am and 1 at 12 noon, cardio around 1530 then big healthy meal at 1600 to break fast, another at 2100 then bed around 2200.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I love IF!

Like others have said, you still have to maintain a calorie deficit - your eating window is not a free for all.

For me, it makes it so much easier to maintain a deficit. I skip breakfast, eat a reasonable lunch around noon, and get to have a huge dinner in the evening (when I have a much better idea how many calories I've earned from exercise).

Yes, I'm hungry in the morning. But I find it much easier to know that I'm hungry because it's not time to eat yet, and then I never get terribly hungry the rest of the day.

Before IF, every time I felt hungry I felt the need to eat, and it made it really difficult to manage my calories.
  • trishvb11
    trishvb11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am new at doing this. I am doing the 16:8 IF. Besides a multi vitamin what other supplements do I need if I need any at all. Thank you in advance!
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Neanbean13 wrote: »
    I see work colleges do the 5-2 diet. They always. Always put weight back on as its not sustainable to do and love life!

People have been doing this for centuries. I for one, and many do, love it!

It's comments like this that make no sense to me. You won't see me state something as fact about rocket science when I don't understand it. This is how myths and misinformation gets passed around.