Pokemon Go

Options
Jimmyh234
Jimmyh234 Posts: 14 Member
So Pokemon Go. Some say it's a waste of time, it's useless. So far, my experience has been nothing but successful. It's been almost 2 weeks since release and I have unintentionally lost 9 pounds playing. I work from 4am - 1:30pm every day at my local gym. After a quick work out, I go home park my car and head off onto the streets of my city. I walk anywhere from 20,000 - 30,000 steps a day/night(Tracked with MyFitnessPal) doing laps around around my city, hiking to pokestop lookouts deep in the woods at the state parks. It all started when a few of my friends said they were going to get level 20 before me, and I wasn't going to have that. It's been a competitive thing from the start, and I was going to be the best. I don't stop and sit at pokestops, I collect the items and Pokemon and leave and come back to it when I've hit all the other ones. My sister and her friends wanted to come with me, but quit after 30 minuets, they are just following a trend, so I don't see it lasting very long for them. But I've been waiting quite a while for this game, and intend on catching them all. The main reason I have lost so much, unintentionally, is because I 1. I work at a gym, working out through my shift and after my shifts over. 2. Since I've been spending hours on end, walking/hiking catching Pokemon I haven't been eating as much as I should have been, I'm not necessarily staving myself, I still feel good, awake and have enough energy to keep me going, but most days I was only taking in about 400 calories, while burning anywhere from 500-800+ a day. Some people will argue that it's a bit unhealthy, but I could care less, I'm no fitness freak, so I could care less. Pokemon go is simply the *kitten*.

Replies

• Jimmyh234
    Options
    I didn't mean to say "I could care less" twice, but I guess it just shows how much I really don't care xD
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It's funny how nobody has figured out that Pokemon Go works by triangulation. A random pokemon pops up when two or more users are close by. The pokemon isn't there waiting for you. It's put there when two of you log in. But hey, if it gets you to exercise more then thats a bonus
  • NevrGiveUp40
    NevrGiveUp40 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just be careful--there has been a few mugged, shot at and one lady found a dead body--some have almost been ran over too--just please be aware of your surroundings-have fun
  • Jimmyh234
    Options
    Just be careful--there has been a few mugged, shot at and one lady found a dead body--some have almost been ran over too--just please be aware of your surroundings-have fun
    I never leave the house without a little protection ;)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    IF pokemon go keeps you in a calorie deficit, then go for it! Yep after a while if that calorie deficit gets too steep, you will start to feel it.

What ever the "kitten" works for you, then keep going!! And you are really young and probably with a lot of time on your hands, so let us know how many miles you actually travel!

You will probably want to invest in the Pokemon GO Plus at some point when it is released.

http://www.pokemongo.com/en-us/pokemon-go-plus/
  • Jimmyh234
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    IF pokemon go keeps you in a calorie deficit, then go for it! Yep after a while if that calorie deficit gets too steep, you will start to feel it.

What ever the "kitten" works for you, then keep going!! And you are really young and probably with a lot of time on your hands, so let us know how many miles you actually travel!
    So far I've only gone 130km according to the Pokemon go app
  • Jimmyh234
    Options
    I'm not sure if it tracks me while at work, but I tend to keep it up to try and unlock my eggs.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think it's brilliant. I play it and love it.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Jimmyh234 wrote: »

130 km?? 81 miles. Wow.

I'm at 48 km, or 30 miles. I've had the app since July 10, so I'm just shy of 4 miles a day.

I'm 31 years old, but I admit I have the millennial disease. I'm a recovering video game addict, and my biggest reason for giving it up was the "idle time," which I hated squandering in front of the computer or console when I knew I had more important things to do. My agreement with myself is that I only use PokeGO during cardio. It's "guilt-free play", the carrot without the stick.
  • Jimmyh234
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »

130 km?? 81 miles. Wow.

I'm at 48 km, or 30 miles. I've had the app since July 10, so I'm just shy of 4 miles a day.

I'm 31 years old, but I admit I have the millennial disease. I'm a recovering video game addict, and my biggest reason for giving it up was the "idle time," which I hated squandering in front of the computer or console when I knew I had more important things to do. My agreement with myself is that I only use PokeGO during cardio. It's "guilt-free play", the carrot without the stick.

Well i try to do about 10+ Miles a day, and its been out 8 or nine days, so i guess thats about right.
  • Jimmyh234
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »

130 km?? 81 miles. Wow.

Well i try to do about 10+ Miles a day, and its been out 8 or nine days, so i guess thats about right.

My work days are pretty early and im usually home by 2:00pm, and its a great way to pass the time before everyone else gets out of work.
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I tried to get into Pokemon Go, but people kept driving by and asking if I was lost or needed a ride, and I felt uncomfortable.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    It's gotten my Boyfriend to want to go for walks - someone who'd much rather sit and play video games at home. Now there is one we can play together and get exercise. We typically only go to parks and places where we can't be run over by cars...
  • Jimmyh234
    Options
    I tried to get into Pokemon Go, but people kept driving by and asking if I was lost or needed a ride, and I felt uncomfortable.

I've had my share of strange encounters with people when it first came out. People either starting trouble or yelling out the window at me when I was walking starring at my phone. But now everyone just assumes your playing Pokemon go, or they are being creepy and hoping some young pretty girl will hop In the car with them. It's best to go with someone else, you'll feel more comfortable/safe
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options

I've had my share of strange encounters with people when it first came out. People either starting trouble or yelling out the window at me when I was walking starring at my phone. But now everyone just assumes your playing Pokemon go, or they are being creepy and hoping some young pretty girl will hop In the car with them. It's best to go with someone else, you'll feel more comfortable/safe

I wish I could find someone to go with me. I don't have any friends in this city since I moved.
  • Jimmyh234
    Options
    It's gotten my Boyfriend to want to go for walks - someone who'd much rather sit and play video games at home. Now there is one we can play together and get exercise. We typically only go to parks and places where we can't be run over by cars...

My state park has pokestops all over the place, i can spend hours walking all the hiking trails to the different pokestops, and i have put in a few requests for new locations (Look up how to put in requests). I never have to worry about getting hit by cars in there XD
  • Jimmyh234
    Options

I wish I could find someone to go with me. I don't have any friends in this city since I moved.

I have a similar problem, the only people who live in my city that i actually know are my close family members, but just going to the local areas, i've met a lot of new friendly people. I live in a small city in Vermont, so everyone pretty chill and friendly/Approachable. I probably wouldn't be doing this if i were in one of the sketchier cities like Detroit or something. No offence to Detroit, but I've been there a few times and it was nothing but trouble walking through the city.
  • Jimmyh234
    Options
    Btw, sorry to people who were looking for before and after weightless pictures, im not really trying to lose weight, as i dont really have much to lose. I just thought it was crazy when i stepped on the scale at my gym the other day to weigh myself. I usually take in at least 2000 calories a day but the game took all of my attention away from food, so i figured id share this because its a great way to unintentionally lose a decent amount of weight. Lots of activity, and very little food intake. I'm back to paying attention to my normal meal intake and probably wont be going as hard as i normally have been, i don't want to go all skin and bone.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!