Some advice please

Options
I'm 31 years old weigh 1st (95kg) I have maintained this weight bang on for 6 weeks.. I lost a stone before without doing or trying anything?? I've been on slimfast diet for just over 2week and sticking to it..my calorie intake is between 1100-1350 wether on a diet or not..I had slimfast shake for breakfast main meal for lunch and shake for dinner and slimfast snack bars or fruit for snacks. I drink 4 x 500ml water each day.... For fist few days but the daily logger was telling me I wasn't eating enough so I now have slimfast shake and 2 x toast for breakfast, cooked lunch (max 600 calorie but usually about 400) and slimfast shake for dinner and again snack in between and my water...... I go to the gym 3 x a week minimum... tredmill row machine and cross trainer for 45 min in total..I push my self too....I also walk 4 miles (2 miles eachway) a day at moderate to brisk pace and spend 2 hours cleaning (my job).. my died has no fried food and usually consists of chicken. Veg. Beef. Jacket potato. Salad. Eggs. Bacon. Pasta and weekend food can be not as healthy but never go over calories.....I'm not budging from my weight nore my measurements. I don't use sugar..gave up coffee n soda drinks and a 2 pint of semi skimmed milk can last me a week as I put a splash in my green tea take the bitterness off..... any suggestions please

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Stop those dreadful shakes and eating rules, and instead aim to log accurately. Weigh everything and log everything. Hit your calorie goal every day (never below 1200 calories). Sticking to reduced food intake can be tricky, and logging can be an effort, but losing weight is really simple when you do the right things right.
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Could you post a sample day of what you eat. I am not a fan of slimfast but if it works for you then use it. I think you might be better to swap some of your slimfast shakes for real food. I use meal replacement shakes occasionally when I'm on the go but I always find it easier to get my calories and macros right when I plan my meals with real food.
  • jennap31
    jennap31 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi thank you both for replying. I find the shakes easier as I am not a big eater and for eg if I had breakfast I probably wouldn't eat till t time or next morning... I have no appetite hence why I chose slimfast it's more of a drink than meal if u know what I mean. Also how do I post a pic of sample of a typical day? Tia
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Eat real food! This is all about changing your food eating habits. Do you plan on eating Slim Fast drinks for the rest of your life?
  • jennap31
    Options
    I live alone Mon to Fri and partner bsck from work at weekends.... I don't eat meals all the time as I don't have the time or patience or appetite for meals so shakes are suitable for me.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm confused.

You lost a stone without doing or trying anything. You must have done something to create a calorie deficit - were you logging on MFP at that time? Over what period of time did you lose these 14 pounds?

Two weeks ago you started on the Slimfast diet. Have you been logging everything on MFP during those two weeks? Are you using a food scale to weigh all of your food? Are you measuring and logging all liquid calories you consume?

You have maintained your current weight for 6 weeks. What were you doing during the 4 weeks preceeding your Slimfast diet? Were you logging everything on MFP and weighing/measuring all foods? Were you incorporating exercise during that time period?

Slimfast is a bit of a gimmicky sort of plan. It is convenient, and if it is meeting an individual's immediate needs and they insist on using it, then you just kind of have to let them figure out it isn't a long term solution on their own. Some people have to repeat the experience over and over and over again, but that is just part of their process.

For you, it may be a bit easier. How is the Slimfast plan working out for you? It sounds like it isn't so great as you're not losing weight. For whatever reason, you aren't in a caloric deficit. Drop the Slimfast, eat foods that you find enjoyable and satiating, and meticulously weigh, measure, and log what you consume. Have you used MFP to determine an appropriate daily calorie goal? Your current calorie intake seems a little low considering where you are at - I would let MFP calculate a goal and then stick to it for a month or so. If your goal is too low, it might lead you to feel unsatisfied and make it more likely for you to eat just a bit extra here and there, and those little bit extras can wipe out your calorie deficit in a hurry.
  • jmolivia
    jmolivia Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Are you guys paying attention? She likes the Slimfast!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm confused too. If you have no appetite, how did you end up needing to lose weight? Maybe some of the lack of appetite may come from not eating properly and reserve time for meals?

You can open your diary if you want people to have a look: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings (bottom of page).
  • pattyandthemoos
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with using Slimfast. I just wouldn't use it for all your meals. I agree that you need to start weighing, measuring and logging your food. Since you are living alone and looking for your convenience, what I would do is plan a Sunday meal prep. Put some convenient meals together and put them in your fridge or freezer so all you have to do is pop them in the microwave or in a pan to throw in the oven or cook up real quick on the stove. This way all your measuring is done and you can get through your week with convenience. Shakes are good for if you don't like to eat breakfast or if you don't have time for a real lunch, but I just wouldn't use it for every meal.

Also, you've only been at this for two weeks. I am not one of those people that loses weight fast. My usual weight loss is 1 lb to 1/2 lb a week and I've been known to go 2 or 3 weeks without losing anything and then all of a sudden loose a bunch at once. It doesn't always come off in increments like you want.
  • jennap31
    Options
    A bit of background information maybe needed... 14 years ago I sufferd from severe anorexia and a size zero pair of trousers were too big for me..cut long story short I became pregnant and had to sort my eating out..... 3 children later I'm at the other end of the scale overweight..... I was on depo provera which made me gain weight and made my appetite increase but due to being with my ex it was bad foods...... then I lost 5 stone in 6 months as me and my partner split up so that was through stress....... no as for the appetite part...yes I don't have an appetite I have to set alarms on my phone to remind me to eat!! When I do eat I stick to slimmingworld type foods I find them easy and taste good plus it's good stuff not crap!! Yes my calorie deficit is from MFP it says 1350 as a goal...... then when I've done my walking and my gym it says I have loads of calories still to eat....... ive only been logging for the past week and a half! As I was using an app on my phone that went boom! And lost it all.... as for my weight loss of 14 lbs before this u ask what was I doing and eating....I was doing nothing at all just general housework as didn't have a job..... no gym no exercise apart from walking to shop....... may also need to mention I have arrhythmia tachycardia and bradycardia......even when I was on slimmingworld my daily calorie intake never exceeded 1400 and usually sat at 1220..... that's with breakfast dinner n tea and snacks and I had to force myself to eat.......
  • jennap31
    Options
    I am logging absolutely everything I eat and drink..anything that passes my lips.......typical day for me....
    4 x 500ml bottles water throughout the day.
    4-6 green tea with dash of milk and 2 silver spoon calorie free sweetner.
    BREAKFAST - Slimfast shake and 2 x toast with thin slither of butter.
    SNACK- slimfast snack bar
    LUNCH- baked potato and baked beans
    SNACK-slimfast snack bar
    DINNER- slimfast shake
    SNACK- frazzles crisps.
    2 mile walk to work
    2 hour cleaning offices
    2 mile walk home
  • jennap31
    Options
    I physically can't stomache eating 3 meals a day.... I Eat breakfast and then I can go till say t time or even nxt morning..With odd snack of a banana or grapes! So shakes are good for me
  • pattyandthemoos
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Okay. As someone who has also had an eating disorder, I can give you my perspective. You're screwing up your metabolism by not eating real food. Not eating real food is something anorexics do, and personally I think this is not good for you. I will not eat that way because of triggers and bad eating habits. You need to add some protein, complex carbs, and healthy fats to your diet. Start with one meal and make it a real meal with lean meat or fish, whole grains of some sort (even if it's a small portion) and veggies. I'd try to get up to eating two real meals a day and just doing one shake.
  • pattyandthemoos
    Options
    jennap31 wrote: »
    I physically can't stomache eating 3 meals a day.... I Eat breakfast and then I can go till say t time or even nxt morning..With odd snack of a banana or grapes! So shakes are good for me

Start with one meal. You have conditioned your body to eat like this. You need to get back to eating right.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I am logging absolutely everything I eat and drink..anything that passes my lips.......typical day for me....
    4 x 500ml bottles water throughout the day.
    4-6 green tea with dash of milk and 2 silver spoon calorie free sweetner.
    BREAKFAST - Slimfast shake and 2 x toast with thin slither of butter.
    SNACK- slimfast snack bar
    LUNCH- baked potato and baked beans
    SNACK-slimfast snack bar
    DINNER- slimfast shake
    SNACK- frazzles crisps.
    2 mile walk to work
    2 hour cleaning offices
    2 mile walk home

Are you weighing all of your food though? That slither of butter could have a lot more calories than you realise.
  • dbashby
    dbashby Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are eating in the morning because that's what the studies supposedly say. To me it sounds like you have sort of become a victim of what has now what we call Bro Science (stuff that gets repeated in the gym that ultimately isn't true but keeps being repeated because its sort of what everybody likes to repeat) this guy always uses actual science/studies to draw conclusions. He addresses this specific issue on this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syleh_6Aopw
  • jennap31
    Options
    Hi I eat one real meal a day as mentioned above...ive literally just finished eating jacket potato and baked beans
  • jennap31
    Options
    I did write more but it's dissappeard.... I don't weigh all foods no eg the butter I don't like the taste much so it's literally a slither..eg the butters u get in hotel with ur toast...I use less than half on two peices of toast. I eat meat and veg mainly for meals as it's easier and tastier....The reason I eat breakfast is because this was the meal I most struggled to eat and if I didn't have breakfast I wouldn't eat till the evening. So I made it my aim to eat breakfast
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You mention some issues (severe anorexia history and heart arrhythmias) and behaviors (loss of appetite, significant weight loss due to stress caused by the end of a relationship, possibly lots of exercise, and possible food restriction) that make me think you might be best served by seeking assistance from a medical professional. A doctor can make a thorough assessment of your situation and offer you individualized recommendations.

It just feels like there is the potential for there to be more going on here than can be adequately addressed on a message board.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I did write more but it's dissappeard.... I don't weigh all foods no eg the butter I don't like the taste much so it's literally a slither..eg the butters u get in hotel with ur toast...I use less than half on two peices of toast. I eat meat and veg mainly for meals as it's easier and tastier....The reason I eat breakfast is because this was the meal I most struggled to eat and if I didn't have breakfast I wouldn't eat till the evening. So I made it my aim to eat breakfast

You really need to weigh everything you eat or you could be massively underestimating your calories. The jacket potato and beans for instance - a baking potato can vary in size by quite a lot, and if you're not weighing it your estimations are likely to be way off.
    Similarly the sliver of butter on your toast might only seem small but it all adds up.