Strength training

Options
k9babygirl
k9babygirl Posts: 13 Member
Hi I'm needing to transform my body i really do hate it will strength training help if I do it every day and how long b4 you see results I'm 1 of those who need results straight away which is really bad I know so help is needed my way please

Replies

• Jaegur
    Jaegur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you want to see body transformation, you definitely need strength training. Your first step is to find a plan that suits your needs/desires, and if you stick to it I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing differences in two weeks.
  • kmillette15
    kmillette15 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It usually takes about a week or two for u to notice and between three and 4weeks for others to notice a big difference I lift weight and do strength training and cardio and everyone is different don't get discouraged if u don't see the results right away sometimes it takes little bit but it will be worth it just remember the harder u work the better the results.... And you are worth every bit and you will feel so good about it in the end... What do your meals look like for a day nutrition is a huge part of getting the results u want
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    With strength training, you won't see results for a few weeks but will get gains in strength much sooner, depending on the type and intensity of the strength training. After having a bad reaction to statins [I'm one of those rare cases where it causes muscular degeneration] it only took a couple weeks to get back to the 20 pound resistance bands. I gained some slight definition, but not much.
  • k9babygirl
    Options
    Thank you I do need 2 eat better that's for sure I just grap crap wot Eva easiest which is not good at all I know ! Wot do u all do for strength training I want 2 do it at home
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I bought a set of "resistance bands" - aka big rubber bands. I looked around and found the best deal on Amazon. I'm going to buy another set.

www.amazon.com/Fit-Spirit®-Fitness-Exercise-Resistance/dp/B017OAK198/ref=sr_1_cc_8?s=aps&srs=12034488011&ie=UTF8&qid=1464374674

I don't have a link handy but Fitness Blender has a bunch of exercises that use them. So do plenty of other sites. You can find a way to mimic just about anything you can do with weights with these if you're clever or good with google. I like that they're cheap, don't take up much space, and travel well. I took mine on vacation last month and used them on schedule. :smile:

Your muscles need a day of rest after you work them. The resistance training tears your muscles up, then your body builds them back bigger than before, that part happens when they rest. That means you need to let them rest if you want to get all the gains you're working for. (That's why people alternate between arm day, leg day, chest day, etc.)
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I do legs on Mondays and Thursdays, arms on Tuesdays and Friday's, and abs and cardio on Wednesdays. Sat-Sun are rest days. It depends on how much fat you have and how good your diet is, but you will feel stronger in a couple weeks. For me, I didn't see noticeable results on my body for about 2 months, it sucks yeah, but I figure that time will go by whether I'm working out or not, so get through it anyways and you'll see results eventually. Don't let it discourage you, and don't pay attention to the scale. You will not lose a lot of weight with weight lifting, but you will lose inches.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Strength training WILL change/shape/mold your body. Results aren't immediately apparent, but stick with it! I'm in a deficit now, but I have been "recomping" the last 9 months...
  • Feint90
    Feint90 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First off, training every day is a bad idea. Rest is just as important as the actual workout (if not more important).

Now as a beginner(?) I would highly advice you to visit a gym where people can explain exercises and help you setup a program to work with. Even if you want to do the exercises at home, if you go to a good gym and tell them what you want, they generally can help you out and it will make sure your form is good which can make or break your workout.

As far as results go, the best way to track this is to actually keep a photo album of your progress. The problem with the mirror is that you see yourself so often, you generally don't see the small changes. But a picture says a thousand words and makes it easier to spot your improvements.
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Strength training is definitely the way to go and you will see big changes but it takes time. You should see some change in 4 weeks but it always takes me about 12 weeks to see any significant changes. I would start with a full body workout 3 times a week. That way you are getting sufficient rest time and full body will help you burn more fat. You can do some type of cardio in between. Rest is important for muscle growth so don't go crazy. Take at least one day off from everything and rest.

As for programs bodybuilding.com has a ton of them. I've done Jamie Eason's plan and loved it. But I started with Body-for-life. I still use alot of their info and think it's a great place to start.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I have a set of Black Mountain resistance bands, which came with a booklet full of exercises. Looking on their website, they include the exercises in the booklet there, plus quite a few more.

http://www.blackmountainproducts.com/exercises/
  • k9babygirl
    Options
    Will strength training help get rid of my muffin top lol I'm eating salads again now and vitamins thank u everyone for your kind words help and advice means alot
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    k9babygirl wrote: »
    Will strength training help get rid of my muffin top lol I'm eating salads again now and vitamins thank u everyone for your kind words help and advice means alot

only a calorie deficit can help you lose fat. you cannot spot reduce fat comes off where it wants when it wants,but strength training in a deficit can help change how your body looks. it has mine. Im a smaller size now at a higher weight ,compared to years ago at a lower weight.I credit that to the strength training(I was active years ago and didnt have a lot of fat but wore bigger clothing).you can also eat other foods besides just salads and taking vitamins. its not what you eat but how much that contributes to weight gain. put in your info into MFP ,eat those calories and weight train. it takes time to see results of any kind(even if you were just eating at a deficit it takes time) and go from there
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Feint90 wrote: »
    First off, training every day is a bad idea. Rest is just as important as the actual workout (if not more important).

Now as a beginner(?) I would highly advice you to visit a gym where people can explain exercises and help you setup a program to work with. Even if you want to do the exercises at home, if you go to a good gym and tell them what you want, they generally can help you out and it will make sure your form is good which can make or break your workout.

As far as results go, the best way to track this is to actually keep a photo album of your progress. The problem with the mirror is that you see yourself so often, you generally don't see the small changes. But a picture says a thousand words and makes it easier to spot your improvements.

There's nothing wrong with strength training every day as long as you aren't training the same muscle groups every day and I'm sure that's what this poster meant to say. You could do legs every other day and arms and core on the days between. The rest/recovery day is just as important as the lifting day so definitely don't work the same muscles two days in a row.

Keep in mind that if you aren't lifting heavy weights you aren't going to get results as quickly. If you want to work out at home using resistance bands just realize you aren't going to have the same results as if you were using barbells and dumbbells.

In addition to a photo album use a tape measure (the kind used for sewing, not carpentry) to record your body measurements and track them in MFP every month or so. You may not see a lot of movement on the scale, which can be discouraging, but you'll often be shrinking as a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.

As CharlieBeans pointed out, you can't choose where you'll lose fat but in losing it overall the areas you are unhappy with will shrink, too.
  • elzianne
    elzianne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you really hate strength training, I'd look into doing a full body program that you do 3 times a week. If you're a beginner, you can probably see major progress from just focusing on big, compound movements (squats, deadlifts, bench, rows, etc) in a 45min-1 hour full body workout. Programs like Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Stronglifts are great. Keep in mind a lot of women need to start off with dumbbells or bodyweight before they can progress to using the barbell on a lot of those moves. You can incorporate some cardio on your days off... I'd suggest finding something you love to do! Whether it's running, hiking, Zumba, yoga, etc. Make sure you're doing activities you like because that's what will keep you committed! And like others have mentioned, make sure you're getting at LEAST one rest day per week (two is probably better to start).

In my experience, weight lifting had a much bigger impact on my stomach than any cardio. Like others have mentioned though, it's hard to spot reduce, and you might lose from other areas first. Maybe not though - all depends on you and your genetic makeup! Diet is also crucial for weight loss... that's why they say "abs are made in the kitchen." Just make sure you're not over-restricting yourself and you're getting a good balance of protein, fats, and carbs.

Good luck! And I hope you end up loving weight lifting... it really is fun when you start to see yourself becoming stronger!!!
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, if you want to get rid of a muffin top, you need to count your calories. Eat at a deficit and lift weights. Find a proven *program*, not a workout or a routine.