Lose weight by walking?

Options
spyro88
spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
Hello, I am wondering whether people think it's possible to lose weight just by walking combined with a healthier diet (I was eating a lot of fast food and takeaways before and am making big improvements here). I am quite overweight at the moment, actually just into the bottom of the 'obese' category on BMI :(

So, if I walk round my local park for say 45 minutes each day (including some hills) and use my fitbit to record steps, do you think that this would help, or is the only way to join a gym??

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    What you eat doesn't matter that much (in terms of weight loss) if you're still eating at a caloric surplus, yes......you could (at least theoretically) get fat eating nothing but broccoli, an awful lot of broccoli..

The weight loss will happen as a result of eating at a caloric deficit. You can lose weight without exercising but exercise (and walking is great) may help you acheive that caloric deficit and will also help improve your cardiovascular health......a win-win.
  • jhudson892
    jhudson892 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I only walk and monitor my calories and diet via MFP. I have lost 33 pounds with 10 more to go. It has been at a slow rate but I have not gained anything back. I don't go to the gym and pretty much walk at home watching TV but it works for me.
    GOOD LUCK
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Replace "healthier diet" with "accurately logging my foods on MFP and staying within my limits" and you have a sure fire way to lose weight!

Walking is great, I do it a lot. Sometimes for exercise (a bit speedy) and sometimes just for enjoyment (spend a while walking a few miles with the kids around the countryside yesterday). It's all good, it gets you moving, it burns calories, is easy on the joints and you get fresh air. Enjoy it and good luck with your weight loss journey :)
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Walk (exercise) for health...benefits heart, lungs, muscles, bones, mental health. Control your calories for weight loss...take in less than you burn.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    spyro88 wrote: »
    Hello, I am wondering whether people think it's possible to lose weight just by walking combined with a healthier diet (I was eating a lot of fast food and takeaways before and am making big improvements here). I am quite overweight at the moment, actually just into the bottom of the 'obese' category on BMI :(

So, if I walk round my local park for say 45 minutes each day (including some hills) and use my fitbit to record steps, do you think that this would help, or is the only way to join a gym??

any movement is better than being still. 45 minutes is a good start. do that for a while then slowly increase it in increments you are comfortable with 5 or 15 minutes.

as other have said be sure to watch what you eat and account for everything. when you dont log food because you dont want to be over your goal you are only cheating yourself.

i have seen it said before and it bears repeating, you cannot outwork bad eating habits

• CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I think there are different levels of walking. I think you can get a decent workout by walking if you push yourself. No leisurely stroll. Put on your workout clothes and walk as far and as fast as you can. Get sweaty and a little out of breath. Like running, speed and endurance will vary and will improve based upon your fitness level. But make sure you exert yourself; only YOU will know when that happens.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise no matter the terrain or pace. When you are ready, you can make it more challenging/entertaining by including hills.

Keep it up! And keep making better food choices! As long as you are moving, you are burning calories.

I love long slow walks. So therapeutic.
  • OdditiesAbound
    OdditiesAbound Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've lost 32 lbs since April and the vast majority of my exercising has been walking. I was suuuper sedentary at the start of this, all day desk job, videogames/reading being my main for-fun hobbies.

So I started off trying to hit over 5k steps on my fitbit every day, and 10k steps 3 days a week. Which most people probably wouldn't consider exercise but for me it was a lot of extra moving compared to what I did before. I'm now up to 10k steps 5-6 days a week, and on days I don't hit 10k I still try to commit to hitting 5k.

The bulk of weightloss like everyone saying though will be from a calorie deficit. The walking is more for general health purposes and a little extra daily calorie burn to make it easier to eat a little more and stay in my deficit.

Because I'm heavier, the fitbit adjustment sometimes gives me a LOT of calories for my longer walks, I usually eat back 60% of them and have been staying at my 2 lbs a week goal so I guess that's about right for me but others say fitbit actually underestimates for them and they can eat back 100% of them and others say they can only eat back a third of what fitbit says, so you'll have to kind of experiment and adjust it on the fly until you figure out how the fitbit adjustment matches up to you.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what others have said as a way to lend my support. I've lost over 100 lbs since the calendar flipped to 2016. In my very unscientific estimation 90% of that is due to eating less, having a regimented daily calorie goal between 1200-1500/day and sticking to that daily (well, 95% of the time). The other 10% has to do with burning fat by building muscle from weight training and calorie burn from running 3x week.

Want to lose weight? Eat less. Want to lose weight a little faster? Eat less and exercise more.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    If you're in a caloric deficit. Then yes. Do I think that's all you should do. No.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering this as well. I have a Fitbit and I keep everything set to sedentary because I usually spend the day in my small apartment playing games or cleaning. But now I do a lot more grocery shopping, and I walk to 3 different stores all the time. Just today I walked over 14k steps, over 6 miles, and according to my Fitbit and MFP, I burned 500 calories.

Did I actually? Someone else told me that walking doesn't actually burn calories.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    MaiLinna wrote: »
    I'm wondering this as well. I have a Fitbit and I keep everything set to sedentary because I usually spend the day in my small apartment playing games or cleaning. But now I do a lot more grocery shopping, and I walk to 3 different stores all the time. Just today I walked over 14k steps, over 6 miles, and according to my Fitbit and MFP, I burned 500 calories.

Did I actually? Someone else told me that walking doesn't actually burn calories.

Of course walking burns calories, it takes energy/fuel to move anything (including your body) from one place to another and we get our fuel from the food we eat, that we conveniently measure in Calories. If I sit on my bum all day I'd only burn around 1800 Calories a day, but by moving my 200lb body around all day, taking 25000 steps I burn >3000 in a day.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options

Walking definitely burns calories. It is movement, energy expenditure. Think of it this way... If walking didn't burn calories, people who were bedridden wouldn't need their diet watched so hard for them to stay healthy. Having a desk job vs a job with movement wouldn't be much different.

Just because it isn't as active as running around doesn't mean walking does nothing. n___n
  • riceiscarb
    riceiscarb Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Walking sure burns calories. even breathing burn calories. your body requires/burns calories at all time, just at a different rate.
    for example, during my workout rest day, i do slow cardio, walking for an hour on a threadmill, and that would burn around 300-ish calories.

with fitbit and any other trackers, they are great for metrics, but not entirely 100% accurate. i would say give and take 10-30% margin of error depending on the activity. i use fitbit blaze myself.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a calorie eater-backer, and some days I gotta make sure I hit 1200 because I got too into work and forgot to eat, but it's those other days where sometimes I'll just snack with my boyfriend all day and I'll easily eat like 1700-1800 calories, and being so sedentary most days really screws me up.
  • samilicious01
    samilicious01 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    spyro88 wrote: »

Walking is fine, I know someone who hates the gym and has lost loads of weight by walking and controlling her food intake. I'm the opposite and love the gym but I include walking as part of my steady state cardio routines. Crack on and make it happen.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Take in fewer calories than you burn, and burn more through walking, and yes you will lose weight. You'll also have an exercise routine that can go anywhere.