What do you make with cauliflower?

Options
st476
st476 Posts: 357 Member
I've heard of (and made) cauliflower pizza crust, and I've heard of cauliflower waffles and cauliflower mashed potatoes (which I plan on making soon). Seems like cauliflower has a ton of uses, what do you do with it?

Replies

• 1nprgr3s
    1nprgr3s Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I make cauliflower "cheese" sauce; Cauliflower, onion and garlic sauteed, salt and pepper, and nutritional yeast, all blended and can be used in place of a cheese sauce.
  • ajhally123
    ajhally123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just get about 2-3 cups of cauliflower and boil it. After boiling, I sprinkle a little bit of black pepper on it. You can add a little olive oil or butter, but that depends on your fitness goals. Other than that, boiling is one of my favorite ways to go.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower fried "rice". You can actually buy cauliflower crumbles here in the produce section, but if you have a head you can cut the stalks off and pulse it in a food processor or blender and then fry it up in some butter with soy sauce and I use garlic and pepper:) yum!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I dice it up really small and put it in my low cal pizza, along with the onions, peppers, etc.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I recently roasted some cauliflower and it was tasty! I usually just eat it raw. I love cutting it up and putting in the fridge in a bowl. It looks like I have a bowl of tiny brains.
    Yes! Roasted cauliflower is great! I like to add a little olive oil and Luzianne Cajun seasoning.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower puree which is an excellent substitute for mashed potatoes and cauliflower soup which is essentially a diluted version of the puree. Both very easy to make.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I like a simple version Buffalo cauliflower. I've been making it on the grill: garlic powder, tons of Frank's Red Hot, and butter, wrap everything in a foil packet and cook til done.
  • River314
    River314 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned putting it in the food processor. I do that, add an egg and dried minced onion with salt and pepper. Make small patties like hash browns in the skillet with oil. Be very gentle when flipping them. They make great potato substitutes this way with eggs. Don't miss the potatoes.

I tried making cauliflower mash but it didn't satisfy that potato craving at all. I'm looking forward to seeing more uses for cauliflower.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I like cauliflower dahl: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/cauliflower-dhal/

And cauliflower puree - just cauli steamed in the microwave and pureed with a little bit of milk and butter. Delicious!

And I add it to soup sometimes - I cook the cauli separately in the microwave then puree it with a stick blender and stir it into the soup at the end of the cooking time. Makes it almost creamy without the cream.. though it might be even better with a spoonful of cream as well.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I've known to use cauliflower rice to bulk out a risotto. I cut down the amount or rice by 1/3-1/2 and then add cauliflower rice. I've served it to other people and they haven't been able to tell the difference. I also like to do the same thing with mash. 1/2 and 1/2 potato an cauliflower. You can definitely tell the difference between cauli mash and potato mash but 1/2 cauli 1/2 potato doesn't taste that different to full potato.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower, Brocolli, red onion, feta fritter
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I roast it and eat it plain or I add it to a pasta sauce or a stir fry or include it in a soup. Sometimes I add it to a salad or just dip it in some hummus or eat it raw and plain. I love cauliflower.

I don't make things with it, though -- I've never seen the point and it seems like a pain. Plus, I prefer the texture unmashed and don't miss mashed potatoes that much (if I did I'd make them more often than I do -- I prefer roasted potatoes with the skin, but potatoes aren't that high cal if you eat a normal serving size and don't add lots of fat). Foods masquerading as other foods always seems sad and unpleasant to me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

This, on the other hand, sounds delicious!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Avoid it
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Oh this sounds so yummy :o
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love it roasted, sprinkled with salt. I have also pulsed it and subbed it for rice in stirfries, and it is very good that way. I have mashed it with some onion chip dip for mashed potatoes and its good - just plain mashed cauliflower is very bland so it has to be spiced up. I hav3e made pizza crust with it - not good enough to give up real pizza crust for!! But if you are lo carbing, its worth a try. Of course soup - yummy in the winter. I usually have some in the freezer at all times, but once frozen, the texture seems to change and all i do with it is soup. Actually, I should buy a bucket load of it now while it is in season and cheap, and freeze it for later in the year when it can get stupid expensive.
  • TerriK14
    TerriK14 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower tortillas, mashes with different meats, fritters, soups. I am going to try ravioli this weekend. I try to use it for a substitute anywhere I can.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have always loved cauliflower. It's so versatile. Sadly I really like it simple fried with a squeeze of a lemon, or as a casserole with tahini garlic sauce. Both options are quite high in calories. No wonder I gained weight.

You can make it into easy fritters or tots. It tastes amazing like that. I dry them, but you could bake them with only a brush of oil. Curried roasted cauliflower with sesame seeds and mustard butter is nice and low calorie if you go light on the butter. You can add it to soups, curries, casseroles, I even made it into a tart once with caramelized onions (pretty calorie dense though)! It's so versatile and takes on whatever flavors you mix with it.