7lb gain in 3 days- wtf!!

Options
So I was expecting a slight increase in my weight (maybe 2-3lb) after a big Chinese on Friday, quite a few drinks Saturday and a Pizza last night, but jesus christ 7lb!?
I did go for a 2.5 mile run on Saturday and horse riding yesterday which I do feel a bit achey from? But how de-motivating! Does anyone else ever get shockers like this? As you have probably gathered I am not very happy with myself.

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Same here but I knew it was going to be bad after Nachos, Sushi and lots of beer. On the bright side when it goes on quick it can come off quick too.
  • mankars
    mankars Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    ...... too many carbs and sodium causes the alarming weight gains.
    Happens to me most of the weekend.
    But, keep up with your regular diet & exercise routine for this week & you will see the pounds go down.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Anytime you have an increase in the amount of carbohydrate intake and sodium intake, above and beyond what you would normally average, then you are going to see a spike in your weight, especially if you have been limiting your carb intake prior to the splurge.

When you eat fewer carbohydrates, your body ends up using up its glycogen stores. Once you have a day when you eat a carbohydrate-rich meal or meals, your body utilizes the carbohydrate to restore its glycogen supply. Glycogen binds up with water, so you will have a water weight gain following the carbohydrate rich meal or meals.

After a few days or a week of eating your typical diet, your weight will likely stabilize back to what it was before.

Also, extra sodium in the diet can increase water retention, as well.

• Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Any time I eat Chinese or pizza my body reacts to the sodium with at least 3-4 pounds, so having both those things, plus alcohol - I would be way up for a few days. It takes my body several days to flush all that retaining weight sodium from my system.
    Fluid retention can also be worse in hot weather and can cause you to have aches and pains.
    Give it a few days to level out.
    And don't beat yourself up. What's done is done and can be undone with more mindful eating this week.

;)
  • AndyJBacon
    AndyJBacon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Water and muscle. This is why I only weigh once a week. It evens out the BS fluctuations like this.
    Keep at it. You'll probably drop 10 in the next week.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Chinese and pizza, lots of sodium, lots of water retention. LOL, when I had a period, I gained at least 10 lbs around that time of month, all temporary.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Drink up - lots of extra water this week to flush out all that sodium!
  • TrueHeart1430
    TrueHeart1430 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Seems like water weight.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    AndyJBacon wrote: »
    Water and muscle. This is why I only weigh once a week. It evens out the BS fluctuations like this.

Do you find that? If I hit the wrong days I could go a whole month thinking I never lost anything. Weighing every day I can see what the real trend is and what's an anomaly. Funny what works for different people can be so far off :)
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have just realised that its that time of the month soon too so that probs wont be helping either! Its just a one off bad weekend iv been on track for 4 weeks straight now so I just hope its not all "real" weight gain :smile:
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    No, definitely NOT muscle. Muscle is hard to gain for women and it has to be on purpose with heavy lifting and calorie surplus... And newbie gains aren't that fast...

It is definitely water weight. For every pound, one has to eat 500 calories over their TDEE every day for a week.

Ahh, and TOM! Yeah, that's a doozy.

• michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Do you find that? If I hit the wrong days I could go a whole month thinking I never lost anything. Weighing every day I can see what the real trend is and what's an anomaly. Funny what works for different people can be so far off :)

I was always too scared to only weigh once a week. At least once a week I have one day that my weight is totally off from the rest of the week, and I think, "What if that was the only weight I saw?" For example, today I'm a bit up because of eating out last night, and last Monday I was low, so if I only weighed on Mondays I'd think I'd gained a pound and a half! I weigh daily and then every Monday I do an average of all of my weights for the past week and log that as my "official" weight. Doing that, I can see that I've actually lost 1.2 pounds this week.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath...Its water weight...Its temporary...It will level out...Everything will be fine.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Chinese food is full of MSG, which acts like salt to retain fluid. Ditto the pizza - especially if it's got pepperoni or anything like that as a topping. Also - WHEN did you eat? It's important to remember the 3-hour rule: dinner should be at least 3 hours before bed. Last thing to bear in mind - you can't exercise away a bad diet.
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Doing something is better than doing nothing though? Plus I enjoy it! What difference does the time I ate make?
  • Ricksh1000
    Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow i've learned a lot from this thread alone!

Keep at it and don't lose faith B)

Rick
  • gertmeister
    gertmeister Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's water weight. You have to eat an excess of 3500 cal to gain 1 lb in stored fat.