Frozen salmon fillets?

Options
Drake940
Drake940 Posts: 39 Member
Is there any harm of having frozen salmon fillets. I heard some types are not as healthy as others. The one I get is frozen and it's called:
'Skinless and boneless wild Alaska salmon fillets in a protective ice glaze'

Is this line perfectly acceptable to eat because for me it's the tastiest. Is there anything wrong at all with this kind? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it. What should be wrong with it?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Why would there be anything wrong with frozen fish?
  • hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've never cooked with fresh fish. I get frozen salmon and tilapia fillets from Kroger/Aldi weekly. I've never had any issues.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's in relation to wild vs farm-raised varieties? Either way, that's clearly of the wild variety.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Protective ice glaze? Sounds fancy. Mine just comes in vacuum pouches. It's kind of a lot of garbage, but at $10 for 2 lbs (not the same kind as yours, fyi) it's a pretty cost-effective protein source for me.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I've never cooked with fresh fish. I get frozen salmon and tilapia fillets from Kroger/Aldi weekly. I've never had any issues.

Same. They are too easy. One of these straight from the freezer, and a bag of microwave steam veggies is the most delicious dinner I can make in 10 minutes.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I prefer frozen wild Alaskan salmon where I live. If I got fresh, it would be a few days old at a minimum. I don't like the taste of Atlantic or farm raised salmon.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Frozen salmon is my go to dinner!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If you like them and the stats fit your macro/calorie goals, then why not?
  • Drake940
    Drake940 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Well I heard certain salmon varieties are not healthy. I think farmed isn't the best option for some reason to do with chemicals etc. That's why I was asking if the salmon I get is ok.

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I usually get a bag of them from Costco. I know one smells up the kitchen more than the other but always forget to keep track of which is which.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    KasimH1996 wrote: »

Well I heard certain salmon varieties are not healthy. I think farmed isn't the best option for some reason to do with chemicals etc. That's why I was asking if the salmon I get is ok.

I think this is a reasonable overview on that. It discusses risks and benefits.

http://www.onemedical.com/blog/live-well/farmed-salmon/
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You might want to thaw and cook it first. Once frozen, it's not quite what you want for sushi.
  • Seaghdha
    Seaghdha Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I mean, if we're being honest, fish in general isn't perfect, I wouldn't consider wild or farm to be healthier than the other. Both have chemicals in them. Wild has sludge that we pour into the ocean, farm has chemicals that they add to the water for whatever reason. You just gotta pick your poison with them.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    Seaghdha wrote: »
    I mean, if we're being honest, fish in general isn't perfect, I wouldn't consider wild or farm to be healthier than the other. Both have chemicals in them. Wild has sludge that we pour into the ocean, farm has chemicals that they add to the water for whatever reason. You just gotta pick your poison with them.

We're all gonna die from chemicals. The only solution is to not eat. Or breathe.
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I personally only eat wild. Farmed has the same (if not slightly more) omega 3, but it also contains more saturated fat and omega 6. I buy my salmon frozen in the vacuum packs at Trader Joes. I always say to buy wild if you can find/afford it.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Are you talking about eating the fish raw or cooked? If you eat fish, make sure it's certified by the Marine Stewardship Council, becareful of mercury and PCB's. Wild Atlantic Salmon should be pretty safe.

Wild Alaskan salmon – a category that comprises the pink, coho, sockeye, chum, and king (Chinook), varieties – is always the best choice. These fish come from relatively stable populations, are caught using traditional, low-impact methods, and are low in PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls).

In contrast, farmed Atlantic salmon, most of which come from Canada, present a host of risks: The majority are raised in densely stocked pens in coastal waters, a practice that often leads to pollution and disease and can threaten surrounding waters and native fish. Plus, due to their feed, farmed salmon contain significantly higher levels of PCBs than wild salmon, prompting the Environmental Defense Fund to warn against feeding kids more than one portion each month.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Seaghdha wrote: »

Don't forget the fish itself, which is made up of chemicals! And the bag it came in. And your car. And your clothes. And you. All made up of chemicals!