Am I read for a 1/2 marathon?

Options
ChelzFit
ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
There is a 1/2 scheduled on Oct. 16th and I am really interested in trying to run it! I have been an avid runner in my past, but in the last three years not so much due to two pregnancies in two years. Since my last child (14 months ago) I have brought my fitness up. I workout 5 days a week with 35-40 min. of cardio mixed with moderate strength training. As of now I am running 2-3 days a week. 2 of those days are 2.5 mile runs with the third day being a 3-4 mile run. Other days I do the elliptical. In my past I have ran 5ks and 10ks so I have raced before. I have looked at a 12 week plan on Hals website for Novice. Just curious what others think? Should I give myself another year of running before a jump into a half. Also, most of my runs will have to be on a tredmill. With 2 little ones, that is the only option expect on weekends when I have my husband to watch them.

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Maybe consider a run/walk goal.

It really depends on how well you progress. Since you've run in the past, you may have no problem getting back into it. You just don't want to set this half up as an unpleasant experience.

I'm probably older, but I need to be running a minimum of 20 miles per week for a decent half.

Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    As long as you've got time to work up your miles, especially on a weekend long run, you'll be fine.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think you probably could. if you upped your weekday runs to 3-4 and increased your weekend runs by a mile each week for a few weeks then upped your weekday runs to 5 miles or so. If you get the fitnes to run 11 miles or soon your weekend run you'd be able to push through to the half on race day.

Runkeeper has some free half marathon training programs that are milage based and work with a smartphone. One negative though is runkeeper adds milage to your run on average for me is 1/10 of a mile every mile but that just be an issue with my iphone.

• 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Yes, do it! I did a 12 week beginners half marathon program, with the half being in March of this year. I was SO out of shape when I started my training (205lbs 5'4"), that I was only able to run/walk it, but I finished. I was so jazzed at the improvement of my health, and by the time of the half I was able to run 3 miles without walking. You sound like you are in way better shape than I was at first half marathon. So my second half. I started training for my second half as soon as I got home. I was 183 lbs, with a weekly starting running base of 3, 4, and 5 miles running my first week, 12 weeks later (last month) I completed my second half marathon (without walking) averaging an 11:31 minute mile. My weight on the day of that half was 161. So 12 weeks is totally enough time for you to be able to run a half marathon at the current condition that you're in. And what does 'a decent half' mean anyways, if you've never done one before? If it's your first, and you have not run in a while, just do it because you can!!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Maybe consider a run/walk goal.

It really depends on how well you progress. Since you've run in the past, you may have no problem getting back into it. You just don't want to set this half up as an unpleasant experience.

I'm probably older, but I need to be running a minimum of 20 miles per week for a decent half.

Good luck!

I agree with the response above. "It depends" Could you complete a half? Yes, probably. The question is what is your goal? Just completing the distance? Is there a special reason to target the October race?

Sounds like you have the desire and some running background, so the challenge may be in the time you have to devote to building up run mileage. With that said, I could envision a successful training plan that calls for mileage during the week done on the treadmill, then using the weekend days for outdoor runs. Best of luck to you.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Following a training plan is a good idea. I did that before my first half and it went great. I freelanced my training for my second half and did not do as well. You have plenty of time to get ready by October. Good luck and have fun!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention - don't be concerned that most of your running is on a TM. That's all I do in the summer and it works just fine.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I think I am going to work up my miles slowly over the fall/winter and get some 10ks in. In the spring there is another big half marathon I might try to race. I really have the itch to train for one right now, but I would rather be a little more prepared so I don't injure myself. I have a history of going to hard too fast and end up injured.
  • kcrw79
    kcrw79 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not up to half yet, but I finally realized I was running enough on my normal workouts that I could finish a 5K in a reasonable time. Here's what I plan to do and think it will translate to longer distances. By all means the goal is to run the entire distance, but it doesn't mean you've failed if you have to walk part of the distance. What I've discovered is that if I run too far before I take a walk break, I end up finishing the distance SLOWER than taking regular scheduled walk breaks. I've worked up to running 8 minutes/walking 2 minutes and hope I can extend out to 30 minutes straight over the next few weeks before my first 5k. But, If I get to race week and can only do 15 or 20 minutes before hitting the wall, then I will plan a walk break or two as needed. I tried not to take any breaks a few days ago and found 15 minutes was my limit. But then I was much slower over the 5 mile course I train on than when I stayed on my interval training plan. I'm a 54 year old guy who hasn't done any serious running in over 30 years, so you will be way ahead of me. But I think the principle still stands. Realistically assess your ability to run an entire half marathon as race day approaches. If you can't realistically run the whole thing without killing yourself, then just schedule a few walk breaks. Your time will actually be better than if you tough it out and end up running very slowly.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 1/2 in May of this past year. If you can run a 10K you can run a 1/2. I used McMillan's 1/2 program and would recommend it.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about the Omaha half? I think 3 months is more than enough time. Especially if you don't have a time goal in mind you can definitely get enough training in to be able to finish a half. If you want to go for time it may be good idea to use the Omaha half as a warm up and train for the Lincoln next year (it's a very flat course and fairly popular nationwide as many runners sign up for it to get there qualifying times)
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    First, you can only accomplish what you try. Those afraid to try never accomplished anything. I would try, but worst case scenrio accept that maybe you end up walking a piece here or there. (But in the next month or so if you gradually increase your distance I do not see why you can't. There is no shame in that. In life the true race is only against yourself.

Second, do you have a double jogging stroller, even one that you could purchase second hand? My four year old loves going with me, and actually pushes me pretty hard, if I slow down, she wants out. "She push," as she likes to say. Or "faster Daddy, faster." (She loves the wind in her face and loves when we pass people on the trails.)
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    ChelzFit wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice! I think I am going to work up my miles slowly over the fall/winter and get some 10ks in. In the spring there is another big half marathon I might try to race. I really have the itch to train for one right now, but I would rather be a little more prepared so I don't injure myself. I have a history of going to hard too fast and end up injured.

Whether you try to do the half this fall or not, I think you are making a wise decision by building volume slowly. ( 10% increase/weekly). IMO, injury prevention should be the #1 consideration if you have a history of injury or, like me, you're REALLY old, lol.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "like me, you're REALLY old, lol."

Djproulx:

You aint really old yet. ;-)

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    ChelzFit wrote: »

Good thinking......we tend to become victims of our own enthusiasm.