Obese children -- a question for them what have kids

Options

Replies

• Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I also find the number of obese children to be alarming. Being a parent myself to 2 grown children I just don't understand how parents let their children get so overweight. When I had children was probably the first time I really thought about nutrition because it was the first time I was responsible for someone else. When I was in school there were only a handful of children that were overweight. When my children were in school the number was much larger, and now I think more than half of the children are obese in our area. I don't know if it's a lack of caring or disipline on the parents part or just a complete lack of nutritional knowledge. When I first started reading these MFP boards I was shocked at how many people didn't really have a basic knowledge of nutrition. I don't know what the answer is, but it seems logical that if a parent has a child who is gaining weight and they don't know how to stop or control it tehmselves that they would seek help from a doctor or nutritionist, just as they would with any other medical problem.

The parents aren't the only ones that need to be coached. I left my son in the care of his grandmother - slim, well educated, well dressed, loved her grandson. I got home earlier then she thought I would and I found her with COKE in a sippy cup feeding him! That is one battle I won (as far as I know but then you can't breathe the same air as you child 24 -7) and you should be able to trust someone to pick up the slack when you can't be there.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    My mom, as wonderful as she is, was never a cook. She never prepared meals from scratch, nor were they nutritionally balanced. We always had snack food in the house as well

This was exactly my childhood. Add to that, that my favorite beverage was pop/soda and my favorite activity was video games and it is quite obvious why I was an obese child. Once you are in that pattern and mindset that food comes from boxes, it is difficult to break. I am now 26 and am successfully reversing the years of damage. The funny thing is that even at my largest (262lbs, 5’11’’) my mom would say that I was not fat. I would say “Mom, I am clinically obese” and her reply would be “oh, you look fine.”

Now I have a 2 year old and a 1 month old and my wife and I are making a deliberate effort to cook from scratch and feed them nutritional balanced meals. We seldom travel down isles in the grocery store any more unless we need something specific like condiments, or cooking ingredients, everything else comes from the perimeter. Shopping like this is funny, because when my wife’s parents come over they look in the fridge and freezer and see only meats, dairy, fruits, vegetables and water and comment that we have nothing to eat or drink in the house. lol.

My 2 year old loves to be active, so we are encourage her in that as well with trips to the park, lake, playground etc… She will be taking her first ballet class today too because she loves to dance. My wife and I are also trying to set the example by taking up more active hobbies (although Istill like my video games, I play them much less now) like working out together, we will be doing a Warrior Dash in June 2012, hiking, camping, and we plan to start mountain biking and rock climbing.

I think it is important that “fun” be their only motivation right now, I don’t want pre-teen children worrying about calories and exercise. But as they get older and can understand, I think it is important that they learn, the how’s and why’s behind nutrition and exercise. Without the understanding component, once they grow out of these activities and are on their own, they run a much larger risk of becoming unhealthy and obese later in life. You see this all the time with high school football players; they are in great shape their entire life until they stop playing football.

So that is our approach anyways.
  • Benji49
    Options
    I was "husky" as a child. I wouldn't say obese... but I slimmed out when I started sports in middle school. Weight has always been an issue for me. Some kids are naturally inclined to being heavy. Genetics... whatever. But the rest of the kids... I wonder what they are eating and how much physical activity they are getting.

I truly believe that these 3 things.

1) Kids need to get up and move. As a child I was deposited out the front door in the morning and told to entertain myself. I didn't play video games, watch tv, or sit around all day. I played tag, jumped rope, and rode my bike to my friends houses. Children do not MOVE enough.
    2. "Convenience" food has led to obesity in children and adults. Think about it... Isn't it easier to buy the food that you zap in the microwave, buy something packaged and throw it in a pot, and swing through that fast food restaurant for a "quick" dinner. The thing is those foods are cheap/easy for a reason. I didn't know that being cheap and easy was the norm... ba doom chi! Before pre packaged food and fast food... American's ate home cooked meals. Real food. It was all down hill as we became a fast food nation.
    3. This goes to food as well... I think the hormones that meat packing companies inject into beef/poultery is leading to obesity in children. Think about it. The company injects hormones into a chicken to make it larger and grow faster. The chicken is obese. We then eat that chicken therefore consuming some of those hormones. There is scientific research behind this. And it makes sense.

This may seem harsh but there is evidence behind it.
    Food Inc.
    Fast Food Nation
    Super Size Me
    Those are three movies that I suggest everyone watches...

Very interesting stuff...

I agree totally. I'm amazed at the number of people who can't cook unless it comes prepared with microwave instructions.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Nowadays, kids aren't going outside to play like we used to. It's video games and TV. When I was younger, I had a time limit I could play video games and if my mom thought I was being lazy, she kicked me out of the house to go play. The parents might be in denial or they just think they'll grow into it when they hit puberty :/ Weight is a tough subject, even with kids.You could say one thing and you might think it was worded perfectly and nicely but it transfers into their mind as rude, embarrassing and they get angry with you over it.

I dont really know what to tell you that would help. I was obese in High School (any other time I was fairly thin) and I would have preferred no one told me I was fat. I was always outgoing (but still shy) and that killed me. I didn't know I was fat but after that I was overly aware.
  • Benji49
    Options

My sons schools actually banned pop and fattening foods from their school about 5 years ago. The vending machines only have water and healthy snacks in them. The cafeteria has a strict list of what it can and can't serve. The result was -- this is a junior/senior high school (gr 9-12) - they went elsewhere at lunch time to get what they wanted to eat. The school was able to control the gr 9 students but once they reach high school age they go where they want in their free time.
    [/quote]

The thing about this is it doesn't control what kids bring in their lunch boxes.

Other than that... I think it is awesome that you sons school now has these new healthy options in place. Why do kids need pop at school? Or candy? If they aren't given the options then they really do not even know what they are missing.
    [/quote]

I agree - and maybe once the elementary kids get up to high school level they will be used to it and will eat what is offered to them. When it first came in at the high school I think the kids looked on it as a punishment of some sort and rebelled big time.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Nowadays, kids aren't going outside to play like we used to. It's video games and TV.

So true.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I think parents are in that "perfect" stage of love, a bit like when you fall in love with your partner and you go through that phase of thinking they are absolutely perfect. You love everything about them, even their fat.
    I try to educate my daughter the relationship between eating and exercise, rather than trying to stop her eating. So we may have an ice cream but it will be incorporated with a long walk. That kind of thing. I lead by example by going to the gym and telling her I exercise.
    Its hard for parents. If you're both working its hard to exercise with your kids during the week for instance. And then the weekend comes which for adults and children means loosening up eating, having a McDonalds treat etc.
    But I think the advise definitely has to be to encourage kids to be active, thats great if they are good at music but they still need to be doing a sport at school for instance.
  • SecretlyBatwoman
    SecretlyBatwoman Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't know the other kids who performed. These are just once a week private lessons, not through a school or a class. It was arranged by my own childhood teacher who invited any of her former students who teach to bring their students and show off. So arranging a group project for all of us to try to be healthy is not really possible.

I really didn't think about how much time kids spend away from home. Now that I think of it, I play in a student-teacher orchestra during the school year and when we have a break in the night, they sell the kids cookies, candy and chips and sodas. The justification, of course, is that we need to raise money to stay around and this was a good way to make a little extra. I'm going to try to talk to them about at least offering a healthy alternative, even if the kids don't take it. I'll even volunteer to bring in the healthy foods. I understand these are 4 hour rehearsals and they run late, but I don't think getting these kids wired on sugar and caffeine is the best way to get them to pay attention.

One of my students really really looks up to me in the way only a 13-year-old girl can. Her mom says that I'm all she talks about all week and she spends an hour getting ready for each lesson to make sure she looks cool (I wish she spent so much time practicing!) So when, after a year of lessons, I started to lose weight, she asked me for healthy eating tips. Never been so proud. Not "diet help" or "how can I lose weight fast" but "how can I stop eating junk food when healthy food tastet s so bad?"

And I know kids can tell when they are at all different from their peers. I just don't really think that at that age they have the tools to help themselves. I know at 14 I thought that when you want to lose weight, you stop eating entirely.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    interested in all the responses, so many different vies on this subject
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    My child is a porkchop...I feed him super healthy because of it. But the fact of the matter is, my kid is lazy. I`m more active than he is, but getting him to come mountain bike riding is like pulling teeth. He just b!tches and moans the entire time and we just end up fighting. I enrolled him in football, and the kid walks most of the time...he`s even had to do 10 pushups because he was walking, he did 4. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, or your best intentions, there`s nothing you can do. There are no video games the minute the snow melts, he has to be outside playing, and he does...but that hasn`t slimmed him out any. Not to mention his dad is HUGE...I mean 6`4 270lbs with a large shoulder spance. But his dad wasn`t large when he was 8. One more year and I can take Ash to the gym with me, they have a youth program where they teach them eating healthy and how to lift weights properly, he seems excited about it, so we`ll give it a go...I just wish he wasn`t so lazy.
  • Jaradel
    Jaradel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to head obesity off at the pass with my kids too. Both are thin now, but we have steered them toward fruit and veg since they were babies, and we have enrolled them in various activities (7yo in TKD, 4yo in soccer clinic and gymnastics) to give them regularly scheduled physical activity. But with their dad and me being predisposed toward obesity, I keep a close eye on them - I don't know when their metabolisms will change, so I'm just trying to teach them how to be healthy now. Hopefully I will drop this weight and get healthy too and provide them with a better example.
  • craig1768
    craig1768 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i think the best way to handle this situation is for the parents to lead by example. I personally have no one to blame but myself if my daughter is polishing off a bag of hot cheetos since I am the one that does the grocery shopping.

Ive noticed my daughter has been getting a little lazy and since she is 11 her little belly is getting a bit chunky so i told made a deal with her that we would make changes like not drinking our calories (which is something I do already) but that way she doesnt feel like she is alone. We went grocery shopping and she asked for all kinds of fruit and i bought whatever fruit she wanted. I said no to the chips & ice cream. I been taking them swimming so she can get some activity and im hoping if its not 10000 degrees tonight we will go for a bike ride. I sneak it in by telling her i want some mommy daughter time. Which I do! But she doesnt even realize my other motive. You gotta make it fun for them.

We now will have ice cream once a week. Instead of having it in the house for constant grazing. A treat once a week is now the plan.

I totally concur with this post. Parents need to lead by example. A child when given a choice of candy vs something healthy will generally choose the unhealthy choice. The same for video games vs riding a bike. Hey, who doesn't like a good video game? In most of the cases I have seen, it isn't that the parent doesn't care for the child, but they often don't care about their own health and therefore are not engaged in their child's health.

I often find it amusing in our society that we all take a stance against the evils of drinking... and smoking... but society (generally) has no problems feeding our kids McDonalds five days a week. Maybe we can put pictures of people exploding on twinkes like the government has decided to do by placing peoples faces melting off on cigarettes.
  • rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting topic. As a working mom of two, I think it's hard for moms or dads now to prepare a healthful meal every night, so we do the best we can with what we have.

I have two girls, so I am very conscious of how I present food to them. I don't want them to feel like anything is off-limits, because that's the way I felt as a kid (because of lack of money) and when I was older and had money I went crazy with food (and still do). I also don't want to ever focus on their sizes, so compliment them on their pretty smiles, nice singing, etc.

Do I notice their weight? Yes. And for me it's a struggle, as my 3-year-old is average to petite, while my 1-year-old takes after my tall husband and is large all over. I have to bite my tongue every time I want to point out her chubby thighs! I don't deny them snacks, but I prepare healthy meals several times a week, pack them healthy lunches, and let them have snacks in moderation. They spend most of the day outside at daycare, and evenings outside with myself and my husband, and I think that's the best we can do now.

Teaching them to have a good relationship with food is one of the most important things to me, but I do notice their weight. At this age, more on a proportional basis (since weight and height is still measured in percentiles). I've read so much on this topic, especially relating to girls and mothers, and it really scares me because there will be so many extremes as they go through life and I have to be the role model without making them feel like they are being deprived or put down for what they eat!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that when my brothers were born (we are 13 years apart) my mother didn't make healthy eating a big deal, didn't offer the choice of little debbies or celery sticks, and didnt' make a big deal out of exercising...

She ALWAYS had a veggie plate out on the counter, ususally with cottage cheese, and meat and cheese slices. This is now my brothers FAVORITE meal.

When they were old enough to start sports, they started them. If it is nice out side, my mother kicks them out side to go play.

yes they have cookies, yes they play video games, yes they LOVE icecream. But their real food doesn't consist of hamburger helper and mcdonalds.

In my opinion, MOST CASES of child hood obesity is all in how you raise your children, We cant blame schools. they eat one meal a day there. We cant blame tv or the grocery stores, because they aren't the one's shopping.

WAAAY back when daddies and thier children worked in the fields or out with the animals or doing other tasks around the farm, and when mommies and other children were inside sowing, cooking cleaning or washing clothes at the river or making bread by hand grinding all the ingredients by hand, families could eat what ever they wanted, they could eat as much as they wanted because we were all MOVING and moving a lot.
    NOW a days, people sit at desk jobs, and sit at home, and sit in cars, sit and play games sit and watch tv sit and sit and sit and sit... so if we don't get up and move, we will inevitably gain weight. its just how it works.
  • Jessika616
    Jessika616 Posts: 41
    Options
    I started to gain a lot of weight when my dad left when I was in the fifth grade. At first I always thought I was fat, but looking back at pictures now, it really shows that I started to gain weight when he did leave. My mom still blames my weight problem on him. I don't, specially now that I'm grown. Lol. But when he left, my mom then had to work a lot of hours to stay a float from all the bills. My dad's mom then moved In with us and she became the main care taker of us while my moms at work. She does not cook and loves soda. Before she came all we were allowed was water and my mom would cook every meal. It turned into mcdonalds pretty much every day, and we would normally get shakes along with it. My mom on the other hand got too busy and depressed to notice and to busy to eat and she became under weight. So she was shrinking as her kids got bigger. I think when I loat all the weight before she was so proud of me.,,,then I gained 100 during pregnancy...ugh
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    This may seem harsh but there is evidence behind it.
    Food Inc.
    Fast Food Nation
    Super Size Me
    Those are three movies that I suggest everyone watches...

Very interesting stuff...

Don't forget to add to the above list, "Forks Over Knives", currently in theaters and available for pre-order on their website.

Since watching this movie, my husband and I have completely changed our outlook on food. For us, it is now all about nutrition and health rather than weight loss. My daughters are 7 and 8 and are thin, unlike us. I keep them both active. They are in gymnastics and Tae Kwon Do and they love to swim and play outdoors. Now that we have changed our eating lifestyle, my girls' interest in healthy food has increased dramatically (they were already interested before). My 7 year old now reads labels for me and tells me how many grams of fat are in a serving of something. She is just learning to read, but she is quite good with the food labels.

My husband and I both work full-time, and yet I still make time to plan out and prepare all of our meals from scratch. We will be providing all school lunches from now on. Yes, it is inconvenient at times. But then, so is having a child with Type II diabetes.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    I don't think there's a simple, one-size-fits-all answer to the problem. There are many reasons that contribute to obesity in childhood. Rarely is it the parents' fault, but the media would have us believe it is entirely. It's actually one of my major triggers.

I was adopted as an infant into a tall, thin family. My biological family were all overweight, unbeknownst to any of us, until I turned about 30. As a child, I was a healthy weight, with a small amount of chub. As soon as I hit puberty, all hell broke loose. I suddenly had a ravenous appetite and continued to eat my way to 155 pounds through my teens. While not what is considered huge, I was noticably, significantly overweight in my teens. It was a constant power struggle between my mother and I as to what went in my mouth. She wanted me slim, I wanted me slim, but my appetite won the war. We both lost battle after battle, as my will to eat was stronger than both of our desires to have me stay slim. I have the usual teen stories of attending WW, Tops, Weight Loss Clinic, etc., and following diet after diet...Scarsdale, grapefruit, Paavo Arola, whatever, you name it, my mother had me try it. She was diligent in her attempts to monitor and prepare food. To no avail. I just ate after school. There were several vending machines at the University I rode my bike through on my way to and from school and they had this huge brownie in one...nuff said. When my mother baked for Christmas, she had to bake several times, because I pilfered stuff from the freezer. As long as I was being denied, I was out of control. Was this my mother's fault? My fault? No. My survival instinct was stronger than both of us. The trick to preventing a huge weight gain was to make sure I always knew there was another treat, another meal coming. I could wait a few hours. But forever? Forget it. That just set me up for deceit and a binge. The key to dealing with a ravenous appetite it to keep it satisfied with small things, often. That means snacking to stave off hunger pangs. Hope you parents of adipose inclined kids are reading this...you can save both of you a lot of heartache and bring peace to your household.

One of the contributing factors is the way kids live, compared to the way we lived as kids. They're kept indoors for their own safety. Rarely do we see a kid running around the neighbourhood on their own like we did as kids and when we see one, we wonder where their parents are, because that kid is the vulnerable one. It's a sad, sad state that we've come to as a society.

Another factor is video games. Kids that are kept indoors have to be entertained somehow and this is an easy solution. We're not bad parents because we provide our kids with something to occupy them. Our parents didn't entertain us 24/7 either. The truth is, we need to spend MORE time with our kids than our parents did. We have to find ways to get them physical and that means doing it with them. Getting them out there. Driving them to activity after activity. Yes, our parents did that too, but in between, we were outside running around. Our kids aren't. They don't have the independence that we did. Whose fault is that? Not the parents and certainly not the kids.

Anyway, I am now a mother of a naturally slim child and of a naturally heavy child. My daughter is a size 2. She took the words I said to her as an 11-year old to heart "Learn from my mistakes. You can eat what you want, but you must exercise almost every day in order to stay slim and keep your health." While exercise was not naturally her favourite thing and she had a little extra weight during puberty, she registered for a dance class throughout her teens and continues to exercise regularly by running, doing tae bo and kickboxing, pilates, rock climbing, riding and other sports. She knows she can eat what she wants as long as she exercises to keep her metabolism going.

My son is not so lucky. Throughout my pregnancy, I had gestational diabetes and he was born with the same issues I have. He is quite content to sit still for long periods of time and cannot understand why anyone would want to do otherwise. It has been a struggle just to get him to go for a walk. This year, however, he is 14 and is starting to notice girls in a more focused way, shall we say? In spite of previous resistance to the idea, he has signed up for a personal trainer [thank you grand parents!!!] and I think this summer, he will start a lifetime of exercise. He seems to have the right attitude and is self-motivated enough to go on his own. I am so excited and relieved that the time has finally come for him. I was very aware of what he must have gone through at school and made sure I supported him in every way I could. I felt sometimes like I'd failed him, because he was overweight and got bullied some. I made sure though, that food was never a power struggle between us, as I know from personal experience, it only makes things worse. It gives a child an avenue to rebel in. Food is NOT the arena you want your kid to rebel in. At 14, he is 6'3" and 280 pounds right now and at the moment, the bullies are half his size, so it's not an issue. In Sept he goes to high school. We are dreading it somewhat. Boys being boys, there is always someone bigger and meaner that will test him. We are not particularly looking forward to that day. Hopefully, he will have some level of fitness by the end of the summer and might be confident enough to be able to avoid a confrontation. He is slow to boil and we have advocated peaceful means of shutting down bullies [humour being one of the main ones], so we are also hopeful.

This turned outto be more about the history of me and my kids, but I just wanted to show that each situation with each child is different and you really do need to take into account genetic and family backgrounds. In the end, the will to fight it is within the individual. You cannot do it for them, only support them by providing healthy foods and encouraging exercise as something fun to do. Parents today have some unique challenges and instead of being accusatory, judgmental and dismissive, we need to offer support and understanding and create safe environments where kids can play. All Day.

We have allowed our society to become one where it is not safe to go out. We have taken the consequences away from our children and allowed a few of them to terrorize our society. Childhood obesity is one of the consequences of that reality.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options

My sons schools actually banned pop and fattening foods from their school about 5 years ago. The vending machines only have water and healthy snacks in them. The cafeteria has a strict list of what it can and can't serve. The result was -- this is a junior/senior high school (gr 9-12) - they went elsewhere at lunch time to get what they wanted to eat. The school was able to control the gr 9 students but once they reach high school age they go where they want in their free time.
    [/quote]

The thing about this is it doesn't control what kids bring in their lunch boxes.

Other than that... I think it is awesome that you sons school now has these new healthy options in place. Why do kids need pop at school? Or candy? If they aren't given the options then they really do not even know what they are missing.
    [/quote]or they can make it like my high school was. we wasnt allowed to leave campus during lunch, or anytime during the school day. we lived. sure we did a lets sneak out for lunch day...but it wasnt all the time lol. once we got caught by my mom of all people, who happened to be out shopping.