Exercise suggestions??

Options
Hello! I've been doing kickboxing for an hot mon/wed/fri, weight lifting 45mins tues/thurs and jogging for an hour everyday. Thinking about adding on a spin class, yoga class, Pilates class and strength circuit class. Any suggestions for at home workout plans? I need something extra to do on Saturday's and Sunday's...the gym I go to closes early those days.

Replies

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    While some people do certainly keep that level of activity, especially competitive athletes, it's pretty extreme and it's far more than you need to maintain an excellent level of fitness. Why do you want to do so much? Are you preparing for a competition?

You'll need to be really careful about a overtraining. It can make you really prone to injury. If your body is feeling tired or overstressed from this level of activity, take a day or two off, at least. And actually, if I were planning on putting that much stress on my body daily, I'm probably just plan to make Saturday or Sunday a regular rest day where I'd at most do a yoga video or something.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. The three classes you mention offer different results: spin builds endurance; yoga flexibility; Pilates core strength.

If you are primarily a runner, yoga & Pilates are probably the most beneficial to running.
  • PeyPeybaby
    PeyPeybaby Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm actually training for MMA. I want to train about 4 hours a day. I had a knee surgery last summer (tore my meniscus playing soccer) and gained about 50lbs. Need to build up my cardio...so I won't get tired easily. I've been in dance for 13 years and need to build my flexibility back up also.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I know almost nothing about MMA - would adding an actual martial arts class outside of your gym make sense? Tae kwon do, krav maga, judo, or whatever. Might be a helpful foundation.

There are tons of workouts you can do at home if that's what you're looking for, using streaming videos, whether paid or free. For cardio, I like to use an aerobics step and light weights at home if I'm going to be watching TV or movies. Once you take a group class or five, you know a lot of the moves and can just do them at home. There are fitness "games" for XBox Kinect that are really good.

Indoor rock climbing is really popular right now, too. There are some dance classes for adults near me, like Bhangra, that are hugely aerobic and work a lot on flexibility.

You have virtually limitless options :)
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    If you're training for MMA I would look for workouts that focus on quickness and agility. I would go with Plyo or something very specific to your fighting style.
  • eandasher
    eandasher Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would add in swimming, as for the home workout I suggest looking on craigs list for free workout gear someone is always giving it away. I got a bench, treadmill, full set of weights, and 3 different lifting bars for about 20 dollars total (from different people) Be warned though people give it away, because its heavy, takes up a lot of space, and isn't easy to get rid of fast. I already have a punching bag, and mitts as well. My roommate used to train for MMA we would do Mauy Thai classes, BJJ, and he would do a MMA class there it was invite only though they don't want regular folks like me wondering in.
  • PeyPeybaby
    PeyPeybaby Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I start jiu jitsu in September twice a week so I have that covered. Might check outCraigslist and see if there is a place near me that does plyo training. Thanks everyone!
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I say T25. I love it. I can see it complementing what you already do. It's effective and only 25 minutes and works your whole body!
  • i_ge_w94
    i_ge_w94 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey! Maybe have a look on Flex and see if there are any classes you think might be suitable? They basically live-stream classes run buy proper instructors, and they cover most of the areas you mentioned (yoga, pilates, HIIT, strength, core etc), plus you don't need to buy any equipment!