Fitbit Question

Options
So, I see where my Fitbit is connecting to MfP but it is not logging my exercise. In fact, Fitbit doesn't recognize my work out at all. I just got back from a nice 2.5 mile walk and it didn't log it. Do I still need to log my activity even though it is counting my steps over here?

Replies

• hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think they've been having problems syncing. Both mine and my husbands have been acting weird since last night. It will eventually sync up. Might be the next day though.
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Did you activate the tracker? Press the button on the side at the start and finish of the workout?
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    No I have not ever activated it. I generally start map my walk to keep up with the miles. I didn't realize there was somewhere to do start it on Fitbit.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Options
    It does notate my steps for the day, just not the exercise moments.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The only thing MFP reads from Fitbit are the number of steps you've taken and the total calories burned. It can't distinguish what was burned through exercise, regular activity, or BMR. If you wish, you can post a status saying you burned so many calories walking. Logging the exercise on MFP will override what Fitbit (usually more accurate) says you burned in that time period.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and I keep everything set to sedentary because I usually spend the day in my small apartment playing games or cleaning. But now I do a lot more grocery shopping, and I walk to 3 different stores all the time. Just today I walked over 14k steps, over 6 miles, and according to my Fitbit and MFP, I burned 500 calories.

Did I actually? Someone else told me that walking doesn't actually burn calories.
  • fattynomore78
    fattynomore78 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think there having trouble syncing mine has had trouble for 2 days it does it sometimes late on the day or mines been deleting itself as well
  • Queen_JessieA
    Options
    It does say I burned cals but I don't think that is accurate with a actual chest strap type heart monitor?

So do I need to log my exercise even though the steps are being counted?
  • delllis06
    delllis06 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just got a fit bit charge HR yesterday, and I cannot get it to link to my MFP account. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Wait... if you took a 2.5 mile walk, and it counted all of the steps you took on that walk, how is it not logging your exercise? I don't think it really matters if the Fitbit says "this walking was for exercise" vs "this was just walking around the house." A step is a step.

On MFP, on your diary, does it say you've earned calories from your Fitbit? Does it say the right number of steps?
  • lisaseager45
    lisaseager45 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yeah mine stop adding my exercise/steps today ? Tried reconnecting etc nothing
  • Amanda_1973
    Amanda_1973 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The only thing MFP reads from Fitbit are the number of steps you've taken and the total calories burned. It can't distinguish what was burned through exercise, regular activity, or BMR. If you wish, you can post a status saying you burned so many calories walking. Logging the exercise on MFP will override what Fitbit (usually more accurate) says you burned in that time period.

So in Fitbit the calories burned is coming from the activities such as walking + steps, right and that piece of information is being send to MFP, so technically it j calculating my activity calories as well as steps. Also having trouble getting MFP to collect my activity calories from Fitbit, today and yesterday...that's been frustrating.

I think you need to turn something on in your Fitbit for it to track your exercise, otherwise it wants you to manually put it in.
  • lisaseager45
    lisaseager45 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Mine was working fine till today
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    When you start an actual workout with the Fitbit Charge, you have to hold the button on the side down to activate the timer. At that point it will start measuring your exercise. When you're finished, press and hold the button again, to end the time. Go to the Fitbit app on your phone and allow it to sync with your watch. The. You can sync that app with MFP.
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    When you start an actual workout with the Fitbit Charge, you have to hold the button on the side down to activate the timer. At that point it will start measuring your exercise. When you're finished, press and hold the button again, to end the time. Go to the Fitbit app on your phone and allow it to sync with your watch. The. You can sync that app with MFP.

Yes, THIS.
    I guess it actually also depends what type of FitBit you have?

You CAN track an actual specific activity, such as running, walking, biking, etc, on your Fitbit.
    For my ChargeHR: As you start your workout, press the button on the side; it will signal a "start" to your activity by showing a small timer and buzz. Once exercise is completed, simply press and hold this button again and it will literally show a "finish" flag and run through your stats (HR, distance, steps, time, calories burned, etc., whatever you have it programmed for).

Once you sync with your phone app, or on the computer, you can see your activity has been recorded. Personally it is a nice way for me to track exercise days and activity calories vs daily steps. On the app you can refer to the Exercise tab and see the frequency of these recorded activities, calories burned from recorded activities and so on.

And yes, there is a difference in the calorie count, if your HR is high enough. Calories burned during activity will be substantially higher than non-exercises periods (obviously).

good luck!
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Fitbit will log all step based exercise although I find the distance traveled to be way off. I ran 6 miles by GPS and it credited me for 5.2, so I had to go in and manually add a start time and distance and end time.