Work out time??

Options
jrodriguez865
jrodriguez865 Posts: 9 Member
edited July 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
When do you work out? Started going to gym just not sure if it's best early or after work?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Do it whenever you prefer. Picking the time(s) when you're most apt to stick with it is the important thing.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    The important thing is incorporating activity that you enjoy into your lifestyle.

After that, it is all details that are a matter of personal preference and/or how to best meet your individual goals. It can be confusing because the media publishes conflicting information that they say is based on scientific research, but many times they are preliminary studies, the results are insignificant to the average person, and/or the headlines are misleading.

There may be a very few situations where the timing of exercise makes some small difference. For most of us, it matters mostly that we do exercise, and very little when that exercise takes place.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I am generally a morning person - and have worked out in the morning for years and years - especially when I was in the military. I am pretty sure there is a correlation. If I had to drag my sorry derriere out of bed every morning just to get in a work out it just wouldn't happen. Pick the time that suits your personal biorhythm and take it as it comes. Good luck!!
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I used to workout during the day when I could find time around everyones schedules. That didn't work for me because it would be 9pm and I'm yawning as I am trying to get ready for a workout.

Now I workout every morning between 5 and 6. I run every other day and do a full body strength workout with weights on alternate days If I get up tired and feeling crappy sometimes I skip a day but not often. On a side note my wife bought me a fitbit and you can see the improvement in my sleep after I started this plan about 6 weeks ago.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I do it first thing in the morning before work. About 6-6:30. I have too many excuses to not want to do it after work, but once I'm awake, nothing is open and gym is the only thing to do lol. Plus going in the morning almost always guarantees an open bench, which are always full after work.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    When will you get it done? That's the best time for you to do it.

Plus, I work a lot of evenings and my gym closes earlier. If I trained at night after work, I'd have to find a new space which either would be an insane commute or I'd be relearning how to behave at a commercial gym
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a morning person, and going before work would only give me an hour between gym opening to when I would need to leave to get to work on time. If I lift and do cardio, that's really pushing my time. I prefer to go after work when I usually have more time and don't feel rushed. I also make an effort to go on Saturdays and Sundays because then I can really be flexible with my time, and there's usually not a crowd.

Find a time that you will commit to and stick with it! If you can't decide between AM or PM, try each a few days. Lots of people do prefer AM because there are usually less people.
  • kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I go before work because I like to exercise on an empty stomach, and I also like to have the evenings free to socialize or whatever. Do whatever works for you! Some people don't have the self control to get out of bed at 5:30am, but if they go in the afternoon, then that's fine!
  • bionicdiver
    bionicdiver Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    3:50 am every morning during the week. Weekends, around 9 am. The gym is virtually empty early in the morning and I don't have to wait on equipment or put up with the socialites who occupy equipment for extended periods of time. Makes workouts more pleasant! :)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I used to do it in the morning, before work. But, since I joined a semi-private gym a month or so ago that doesn't have showers, I go after work.
  • fattynomore78
    fattynomore78 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I get up at 6am and head out Walking at 6:15am and return around 7:30-7:45 to get ready for work I'm finding it that I'm not tired during the day and sleep better at night time
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    It's all personal preference/convenience. I do it when I can..doesn't matter when..just that I get it done.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    New York Times article on a study of workout time and weight loss

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2015/01/23/ask-well-the-best-time-of-day-to-exercise/?referer=
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    When do you work out? Started going to gym just not sure if it's best early or after work?

It's largely personal preference...the best time is when you can and will do it because doing it is the most important part.

• errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I've recently started doing it first thing in the morning. Feels great to get it out of the way and have accomplished it, instead of having it hanging over my head all day. Why not try both and see what you like?
  • cntrlswthart
    cntrlswthart Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm awake here in Wisconsin at 3am to head to the gym. Unfortunately I got downstairs and my neighbors car was blocking the driveway. They're new so I don't want to start anything between us.
  • jrodriguez865
    jrodriguez865 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies I appreciate your comments and article. I agree earlier in the day is ideal, however as long as we workout!
  • smkirkpatrick15
    smkirkpatrick15 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been working out late- between 8 and 10:30 pm! I like ending my day by showering off the sweat from the gym and climbing into bed. I am a teacher, so I am not having to wake up super early right now, so it works for me.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It simply does not matter when you work out. Do it when you can.
  • cutbackcoach
    cutbackcoach Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    People differ for reasons no one completely understands. Experiment with morning, midday, and late afternoon or evening training. For strength and muscular development goals, you absolutely should try to find a way to workout at the time at which you personally are strongest. The heavier the weight, the better the adaptations. It is that simple. (I personally am at least 10% weaker in the early morning than late afternoon - and I know others, including some world champions who have trained at my facility, who are at their best at hours so early that I have barely woken up - its a distinctly individual and subjective pheomenon - just go with what works best for you and your life's schedule.) The most important thing is that you accomplish the best workouts possible consistently over several years - that's when the dramatic transformations manifest.