Do "normal walking around" calories not count?

Options
I read on another discussion thread that the calories you burn doing everyday things - grocery shopping, cooking, going up the stairs, etc - do not and should not count toward your overall calorie burn for the day. Is this true? I'm perplexed! I usually count those calories, as well as their steps, IN ADDITION to the ones I've burned doing cardio exercises. But now I'm concerned I've been inadvertently cheating! :/

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It counts but it is generally factored into your daily activity level.

How are you counting them? Do you have an activity monitor linked to MFP?
    If you are counting the steps, and you have the step counter linked to MFP, don't worry about it. It calculates it for you.
    If you are logging on your own, how are you logging it?
  • KatsMeow12
    KatsMeow12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I use Pacer on my phone. (Not linked to mfp)
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    KatsMeow12 wrote: »
    I use Pacer on my phone. (Not linked to mfp)

So when you "count" it, how are you logging it?

Is your MFP set to sedentary?
  • KatsMeow12
    Options
    MFP is set to "lightly active." Via Pacer, I average about 5,000 - 6,000 steps per day, with or without the cardio I do. Just to keep myself on my toes, on MFP I subtract 20 calories from the overall count that Pacer gives.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    MFP is set to "lightly active." Via Pacer, I average about 5,000 - 6,000 steps per day, with or without the cardio I do. Just to keep myself on my toes, on MFP I subtract 20 calories from the overall count that Pacer gives.

So how much are you adding on per day?
    What is your MFP calorie goal?
    Are you losing weight? (that's the biggest question, if you are losing, keep doing what you are doing until you aren't then readjust).
  • KatsMeow12
    Options
    Hm. I'm plateauing, so I guess perhaps I need to re-adjust.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Hm. I'm plateauing, so I guess perhaps I need to re-adjust.

In general, your MFP "lightly active" should count those 5000-6000 steps.
  • KatsMeow12
    Options
    Got it. I'll try syncing it again. Last time, as I recall, it was a pain in the butt for some reason but I'll try again.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering this as well. I have a Fitbit and I keep everything set to sedentary because I usually spend the day in my small apartment playing games or cleaning. But now I do a lot more grocery shopping, and I walk to 3 different stores all the time. Just today I walked over 14k steps, over 6 miles, and according to my Fitbit and MFP, I burned 500 calories.

Did I actually? Someone else told me that walking doesn't actually burn calories.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    MaiLinna wrote: »
    I'm wondering this as well. I have a Fitbit and I keep everything set to sedentary because I usually spend the day in my small apartment playing games or cleaning. But now I do a lot more grocery shopping, and I walk to 3 different stores all the time. Just today I walked over 14k steps, over 6 miles, and according to my Fitbit and MFP, I burned 500 calories.

Did I actually? Someone else told me that walking doesn't actually burn calories.

It counts. Every movement counts it just not be as many calories as you think.

If you have MFP set to sedentary and the Fitbit connected, it should take care of it for you. It will do the adjustment.

Keep in mind, it is an estimate and it may be a little off.

In OP's case, she didn't have the two linked so the answer is a little different.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options

6 miles would not be 500 cal unless you weighed 277 lbs......to get a realistic estimate of additional calories expended walking (assuming relatively flat terrain) multiply .30 x weight (in lbs) x distance (in miles) approx 30 cal per mile for every 100lbs of body weight.
  • ptipton520
    ptipton520 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My take on this is "if you are alive, you are burning calories" and to lose a pound you have to expend approximately 3500 calories. Doesn't matter whether those calories are from running or from setting at the computer.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Every activity burns calories. It just depends how you are counting. I would rather set mine to lightly active and then not count all the little calories throughout the day. But if it works better for you, you can always set yours to sedentary and then count everything. I think it really does about the same thing... it is just what is best for you
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options

6 miles would not be 500 cal unless you weighed 277 lbs......to get a realistic estimate of additional calories expended walking (assuming relatively flat terrain) multiply .30 x weight (in lbs) x distance (in miles) approx 30 cal per mile for every 100lbs of body weight.

It sure FEELS like I burned 500 calories when I run 6 miles, lol

• CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    If you are set to sedentary, count everything!
    If set to lightly active, I would not feel comfortable assuming whatever number MFP thinks I burned is accurate every day.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    A good way to look at it when it comes to including steps under MFP's categories: Sedentary - under 5000 steps taken in a day; Lightly active - 5000 - 10000; moderately active - 10000 - 15000, active - over 15000.

Back when I had a standard pedometer, the pamphlet that came with it had information along these lines. I'm not claiming it is an exact science, but a good guide to consider when determining activity level and whether to count exercise calories.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

How do I fix my Fitbit then?
    A good way to look at it when it comes to including steps under MFP's categories: Sedentary - under 5000 steps taken in a day; Lightly active - 5000 - 10000; moderately active - 10000 - 15000, active - over 15000.

Back when I had a standard pedometer, the pamphlet that came with it had information along these lines. I'm not claiming it is an exact science, but a good guide to consider when determining activity level and whether to count exercise calories.

On a normal day, I'll get around 2k steps. I have to make an effort to hit my 5k a day goal, and even then I don't always meet it.
    ziggy2006 wrote: »

Sorry, I've seen this statement on a couple of threads this morning. Does the statement that walking doesn't actually burn calories make sense to you? Our bodies burn calories breathing. Our bodies burn calories digesting food. Holy possum of slothlord, our bodies burn calories whilst lying comatose in a hospital bed.

Common sense should be enough to tell you that either you misunderstood what that person was actually trying to tell you, the person did not communicate the information they intended in a clear way, or that person is full of eucalyptus leaves. You have to think critically about everything that you read or hear from sources of information.

He's a nurse friend of mine, so he thinks he knows everything and won't let you tell him otherwise.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

It sure FEELS like I burned 500 calories when I run 6 miles, lol

Running burns more than walking. A 6 mile run likely would burn 500 calories. A 6 mile walk would not.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I read on another discussion thread that the calories you burn doing everyday things - grocery shopping, cooking, going up the stairs, etc - do not and should not count toward your overall calorie burn for the day. Is this true? I'm perplexed! I usually count those calories, as well as their steps, IN ADDITION to the ones I've burned doing cardio exercises. But now I'm concerned I've been inadvertently cheating! :/

There are several facets to calorie expenditure. Basal Metabolic Functions (metabolism), Non Exercise Activity Thermogensis (this is calories from activities not exercise relation, such as walking around, making food, walking to the mailbox, etc...), Thermal Effect of Food (calories burned and digestion), and Thermal effect of activity (calories you burn from exercise). All of those combined equals total daily energy expenditure (TDEE).

Depending on the method, will determine how you come up with a calorie goal. If you use a TDEE calculator, it will take all of those into consideration and give you a number. If you follow the MFP method, it will factor everything but exercise, and give you a number. Once you exercise, you eat back part or all of those calories; this should be about the same as the TDEE method.

In the end, all of these are estimates. So eat at a specific calorie range for 4-6 weeks and adjust based on results. Use a food scale for accuracy.