For those who have lost a lot of weight....

Options
Hi Everyone. I need some one to tell me this is normal. That it will be ok. I started this journey in January and I am 40 lbs down but over the last month or so I have really been struggling to keep losing. I was actually 47 lbs down but have gained 7 back. I take one step forward and then 2 steps back. Many a stressful day, cookouts, a work trip where the meals were decided and provided for me and my birthday (a lot of cake and booze a couple of times) are things that have contributed to this.
Don't get me wrong. I HAVE NOT GIVEN UP. However, I've had too many days recently where I've had the F*it today attitude. Pardon my french. I'll do good for a few days and then mess up. I'm really starting to freak out that I'm not going to start losing again. However, I recently saw a girl on a weight loss motivation Instagram account and it too her 4 years to lose 100 lbs and it had me wondering if maybe it's because she dealt with what I am and it took longer. Is this how weight loss is? Is it normal to struggle this much? I want to get until 200 lbs because I haven't been in 17 years and it's so close but feels so far away. Can anyone shed light on this for me? Any feedback will be really appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• shandy4487
    shandy4487 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think this is totally normal. I started my journey in January 2015, and it's taken me till now to lose about 70 lbs. The weight came off fairly quickly at first and then slowed down. I have taken diet breaks, just like the above poster mentioned. They do wonders for me, lol! I don't go crazy and eat everything in sight, but it's more like a break from the mindset of obsessing over every bite of food. But then I go back to logging consistently and I start losing again. Birthdays happen, cookouts happen. They are good things, and you can't avoid them, nor should you. I think it's better to lose weight at a bit slower pace, while still enjoying life and its events. I hope you don't get discouraged. You can do this! It's overwhelming but totally worth it :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Normal to me.

Thinking of things in a different way might help. Instead of "I fell off the wagon eating bad food", what about "It's my bday and having cake and booze is okay as long as it's reasonable"? I'm maintaining now after losing 173# in 4 years. I can gain 3-5# on my IDGAF days and yes, I freak out about it, but I've measured and logged what I ate, enjoyed myself, and I know what to do to lose it if it really is weight gain (instead of water retention from sodium bomb and having eating 3# worth of food).

Looking at things long-term helps me see that what I'm doing is on target.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    It took me 3 years to lose 100 lbs. Then another 2 to gain it all back. I stopped doing what I was doing to lose the weight. I've learned what my triggers are and am better about portion control and temptation. It's hard, but very possible to lose weight and keep it off. The only people that fail are the ones that don't pick themselves back up after they fall down.
  • PamelaW41
    PamelaW41 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I think it's normal and you have to find what works and is a manageable way of life for you. lost 80 pounds in 5 months. I was totally committed to losing the weight. Then its taken me a year to lose the next 26. I'm more committed to the over all lifestyle change than I am to losing weight today. I'm not as worried about it as I was at first. Now I know if I stay the coarse there will be ups and downs nutritionally speaking with holidays and vacays, etc.. I just try to eat sensibly 90% of the time and exercise daily, even if it's just a short walk.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    First wipe out the idea that you 'Messed Up' and the 'F* Days' I can say for myself I have had times when I just could not get motivated and wanted to eat what I wanted to just because. Not a whole day but maybe a meal or two. You can control what you eat and if your morning starts bad or afternoon or at whatever point it goes bad maybe you can get in a great snack or good meal and gain that control back, sometimes it is just a mind game we play with ourselves. I went some weeks/months without losing anything and while it is very frustrating it will pass. Sometimes we have to realize all the things our body is going through in the process of losing weight.

If Summer is a time when you have a lot going on and you know eating will be a real challenge you have to find a way to manage that, if it means eating very light at breakfast so you can indulge in the other meals you have to work out a way to beat this because this will more than likely happen every year, maybe get in a some activity those days. I think most of us have our weak times, it could be the holidays or Spring when the fruit is plenty and one loves pies, etc. . . . I tend to lose weight at the end of the year because for me it is just too much food all around! I think we all have periods of temptation.

I gave myself 2 years to lose 100lbs, never made it because at 92lbs down I didn't look very well but two years later I could have weighed more or been the same . . .
  • tbullucks2006
    tbullucks2006 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. What I have taken away from this is that even though I know this a marathon and not a sprint, you only fall if you stop trying. I haven't stopped trying and I'm still down 40 lbs. I just need to try a little harder because lately I've been falling down too much.