Air Fryers - Healthier or a rip off?

Options
Girese1988
Girese1988 Posts: 7 Member
My friend got an Air Fryer recently and she loves it. They are supposed to cook fried foods with less fat than a regular deep fryer. I'm thinking like chicken wings without skin, sweet potato fries, etc.

I searched google and found a bunch here: https://airfryguy.com/air-fryer-reviews/ but after reading that it looks like I can use my convection oven.

Anyone have one of these, and if you do, are they worth it?

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I love mine - the fries are nice and crispy with only a little oil...Not exactly like deep fried fries, but yummy. Very good for vegetables too....
  • SwissHausfrau
    SwissHausfrau Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I bought one and used it a few times for chips (UK version not the US version) and they are significantly better that the ones I had previously been doing in the oven and with less oil. I haven't moved on to cooking anything else yet as I don't eat a lot of friend food anyway.... I just have a real weakness for proper potato chips (not re constituted frozen ones) and my Actifry makes really good ones :)
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, they work quite well, though don't give you quite the same result as a deep fryer. As you say, it has also been my understanding that they are basically tiny convection ovens, so I'm not sure how the result would differ.
  • Girese1988
    Girese1988 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    madammags wrote: »
    From what I understand, they work quite well, though don't give you quite the same result as a deep fryer. As you say, it has also been my understanding that they are basically tiny convection ovens, so I'm not sure how the result would differ.

Do you know how the results differ? Are the results not quite as crispy? I could imagine them having a different flavor.
  • SwissHausfrau
    SwissHausfrau Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The tefal actifry constantly turns the chips so they are cooked evenly on all sides...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I think the air fryers are awesome! If they didn't take up so much space i would buy one myself.

I can tell you that the texture is SOOO much better than anything that's not just full-fat deep fried. I think it's to do with the rotation/coating of oil so evenly and high heat.
  • lessplusmore
    lessplusmore Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've cut way down on fried foods but sometimes.....Love fried breaded okra, how does it do in an air fryer?
  • Mokikki
    Mokikki Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I find using oil in a mister is great to coat the breading. It's faster than my convection oven as well.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i have the Actifry 2 in 1 and i love it. I use it all the time. It make fries quite crispy. i have roasted chickpeas and edamame and made yummy crunchy snacks with them. I've made bacon, perogies, hashbrowns, chicken, fish etc. I love it for reheating leftover food, like breaded fish or chicken. Its not soggy at all. I recommend them!
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have one and love it. I'll cut up a potato (or sweet potato), spray it with olive oil cooking spray and add some spices...really good alternative to traditional French fries. Works great on chicken breasts, pork chops, wings, etc. Not like deep fried, but some things I like better than their fried counterparts. As stated above, great for re-heating things that normally get mushy and soggy when re-heated in a microwave.
  • DeniseKeaskin73
    DeniseKeaskin73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There brill,defo a lot healthier
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If by "healthier" you meant "fewer calories", then oven baking would be the clear winner at my house.

I use less oil when oven baking vs. using the Actifry. But the Actifry is novel in I can turn it on and walk away for 30 minutes versus having to tend to an oven or turn anything by hand. Plus using electricity versus propane oven in the house in the summer makes the Actifry the clear preference at the height of french fry season. And since I use a fry cutter for Actifry fries, they are actual french fries. Such a dice doesn't lend itself as well to oven baking.

Oh, and sweet potato fries fall apart into sweet potato hash in the Actifry in my hands so I stick to oven baking for those.

• KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    They do really nice fries...and when it's hot in the summer it's great to not have to turn on your oven (I usually make oven fries). They are good for other recipes too...just do a search online :)
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    A friend of mine has an XL air fryer and loves it! She even makes steak in it and says it's so good. I have been checking online for the best rated and have decided on the larger 5.5 qt. I believe the best rated was a GO USA brand. Definitely check reviews.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of roast vegetables in my air fryer, more convenient than the oven and in summer less extra heat
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a cross between a convection oven, dehydrator and an automatic popcorn popper. Sounds good to me. I'm sure you could make do with the other options, but it would probably take longer to cook.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    How does fish come out in an air fryer? I get cravings for fish and chips (really just the fried fish) but fried battered fish macros are terrible. If I just lightly flour a piece of fish, would it come out crispy?
  • mybabys_3
    mybabys_3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do have an air fryer. I like it. But, to cook large amounts for my family it ends up taking for ever. Other than that it works well.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I'd love one, but they're not safe to have around parrots due to the fumes.
  • tammierlewis
    tammierlewis Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have the XL and love it. I have cooked everything in it. Crispy fried chicken or fish, shrimp, calamari is great. We do lots of vegetables too. Reheating is much better than the microwave. Blackened fish is good to.