Starting over after a 5 year hiatus

Options
Hi everyone. I am starting my weight loss journey over again. Five years ago, I lost almost 60 pounds in about 10 months. I was on a very strict diet and the only exercise I did was walk around my neighborhood. Then things started going wrong in my life and I gave up on the weight loss journey. I gained all but about 10 pounds of it back over the years.

I am ready to start over. This time I am going about it differently. First, I don't want to diet. I want to approach this as a lifestyle change. I don't want to deprive myself of different types of foods. I want to learn how to eat healthy by including carbs, fat and sugar in moderation. I need to learn portion control and have a balanced daily meal plan.

Second, I joined a gym. It is a full service fitness center that is NOT geared toward the pretty models or the star athletes. The gym just opened up in May and the clientele is your everyday normal people looking for a better lifestyle. The owner of the gym spent an hour with me going over my medical history and my weight loss goals. In that hour, he spent time showing me the strength training machines. He showed me how to use them and how they should be set for my individual needs. All of this information was put in my personal chart, and an exercise regimen was created for me. Needless to say, I am VERY comfortable with this fitness center and I am not at all embarrassed to work out in front of other people here.

Right now, I am extremely motivated. However, I am worried that I will lose that motivation or that something will go wrong in my life again, and I will derail my progress all over again. In a nutshell, I am my own worst enemy! I am looking for supportive people on here to help kick me in the behind when I need it. In return, I will do the same for you if/when you need it. It doesn't matter to me if you are just starting out with your own weight loss journey, if you have been at it for years and are now maintaining, or if you are somewhere in between on your journey. Thanks for reading and good luck on your weight loss goals!

Replies

• djones209
    djones209 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on climbing back on the wagon! I lost over fifty pounds TWO different times with Weight Watchers. Both times, I thought I would do whatever I wanted when I lost the weight. Of course, we all know how that turned out! :/ I then lost over sixty pounds on MFP. This time, I believed I would keep it off because I had worked on it for over a year. Until.....I started eating junk food again. So....here I am again as of about three weeks ago. This time, I know I can lose the weight, and I know that, for me personally, I am going to need help in keeping it off. Weight loss is a journey. It is never ending. When we say we are on a diet, we tend to think of it in a more temporary way. Good luck to you, and also to me! :)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs, then gained it back. Now I have to lose it again. I have made alot of changes, and hopefully I will stick to them now.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Start with some introspection and find out WHY you are doing this. If you have a strong and motivating reason, it'll help you develop consistency and make this a life change. The birth of my son was what it took for me to jump on board this journey permanently.

For sure, the top priority is developing consistency in nutrition and exercise. Please listen to this podcast on flexible dieting and why I/the fitness professionals in the podcast believe it's the most sustainable and effective method for long-term weight loss and healthy eating. Let me know if you have questions about it too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_yzbp82pCM

Allan
  • Emelade
    Emelade Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be supportive as well as supported. I know exactly how it is losing that weight then gaining it! Before I got married I lost 50lbs. Then we put our house up for sale, sold it and moved. In that time I gained 30lbs back. Then I got pregnant and I'm now 80 lbs from where I want to be.
    I'm at the point where not only do I want to get my fitness level up to where it used to be, I HAVE to. I recently changed my job to daycare so I have multiple kiddos I have to keep up with.
    So far changing my diet I've noticed I have a lot more energy. I'm no longer dead to the world come noon anymore. I love it. And it's helping me keep my motivation to keep it up!!!
    I'll add you as a friend. :)
    I plan on going on walks every morning with the kiddos! I'm lucky I get to do that. ^_^
  • Letsplayoutside
    Letsplayoutside Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That is great news that you're continuing your journey now. And not "restarting" as you put it - because you understand so much more about yourself than you did 5 years ago. For example- you KNOW that you can do it - if you can reasonably manage your circumstances.
    Good for you!!!
  • ptipton520
    ptipton520 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Dear wrubsie - The important thing is you are back at it! I'm a firm believer in living in the present. I've often wondered why I could quit smoking cold turkey but I can't eat according to plan consistently! It is more than willpower. I think it is a combination of circumstances and personal mindfulness that will make this time the right time for me and for you. My hiatus was only a year and I'm fortunate that when I started back I hadn't lost any ground. But I had to be in the right place emotionally, physically, and spiritually to journey on. I wish you great success. You have a good plan, just work the plan and keep your attitude about making this a lifestyle not a program with a beginning and an end date.
  • heidibb13
    heidibb13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love that you're back at it!! Like most others have said, the MOST IMPORTANT thing is to start with your WHY. Why do you want to lose the weight/get healthier?? If you don't connect to that, you may lose, but it won't stick. It's not easy, but it has to be more than the number on the scale. Focus on clean(er) eating and getting rid of process foods that are DESIGNED to make us over-eat. That was huge for me. Once I cut out sugar and processed foods, I felt so much better!! You can do this!!

OH.. and if you have a bad day, just take the best and forget the rest. Pick up, move forward and don't let a bad meal or day derail your entire journey!!

You've got this!!
  • JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You're focusing it right. It's a lifestyle change... and I won't deny good attitude and motivation are very, very important. But I've found that it's more important, even more than motivation (because motivation fails from time to time), to have discipline and consistency. Be disciplined and intentional toward your goals, develop consistency, and you will get there, and you will love it.
  • b12arr0
    b12arr0 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm also on a weight loss restart journey. I've sent you a friend request. Good luck to both of us on keeping motivated and getting it right this time.