How many of you eat breakfast?

Options

Replies

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat breakfast, I feel binge-y around 10am and eat stupid stuff.
    If I eat a traditionally carb filled breakfast, I feel hungry around 10am and eat stupid stuff.
    If I have a cup of coffee and a small serving of protein/fat, I'm good for muchlonger and feel better.
    So I have a small serving of full-fat cottage cheese every morning. Not a big breakfast but enough to satisfy until later in the day.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    the "breakfast is the most important part of the day" is mostly mumbojumbo. Find what works for you.

Personally, I can not eat in the morning and feel fine, but once I start eating then I have to keep eating meals or else I feel hungry, so for myself I found postponing breakfast has really helped me stay happy and stick to my calorie goals. Don't ask me to eat a small dinner though, that's just not ok!

^^True.

IMHO Most important meal of the day is your next meal - it's the one you have the most control over.
  • Girese1988
    Girese1988 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do IF and skip breakfast every morning. Sometimes I eat breakfast foods for lunch though.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    I have never once in my life woken up in the middle of the night hungry or looking for food, is this a common thing?

Me either. I do eat breakfast on weekdays because it helps me not to get too hungry at work, but I usually don't have anything on the weekends except coffee until later in the day. I don't eat dinner particularly early and I'll often have a snack after dinner. Maybe the people who wake in the night hungry are the ones who think you shouldn't eat after 7 pm (or whatever time it is that your not supposed to eat after).
  • MissCaroline71
    MissCaroline71 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So far I've been managing to lose weight without breakfast but so many people bang on about how I should and how important it is. So my question is how many of you eat breakfast and how many of you have successfully lost weight without it?

Ive spent the last few years "forcing" myself to eat breakfast...... I stopped just before Christmas (when Intermittent Fasting got super popular, and many people started saying it didnt matter if you ate breakfast or not, as long as you stick within the nutritional guidelines (CICO etc). My weight finally started to lower at this time too.

For me personally, the following few items are why "not eating breakfast" is better for me.

- Im not usually hungry until 1pm
    - eating breakfast makes me ravenous throughout the day - once I start eating I cant stop....
    - I like to eat 2 satisfying meals a day - lunch around 300-400 cals, dinner around 900-1100
    - I tend to eat lunch between 1-3, and dinner between 8-10
    - Its made my overall calories easier to manage
    - Its sustainable, and suits ME..... It was the easiest change Ive made to my diet - with a huge impact to my weight.....its how I naturally eat, so Im extremely happy with the results.
    -
  • fitgoals23
    fitgoals23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on your body and your schedule, but I find breakfast is an important part of not making poor food choices later in the day. Having a small meal that is nutritious and filling keeps me from giving into cravings later than morning.

I am a morning exerciser, so before I work out I just have a little spoon of peanut butter and a cup of skim milk or protein powder mixed in water. This is just enough to avoid cutting my workout short because of hunger pains. Then after my workout, I usually have a fat-free greek yogurt (one with no added sugar!) or some scrambled egg whites and maybe a banana if I am particularly hungry. Also lots and lots of water.

Again, your choices should depend on your body and life, but for me, breakfast is important. It helps me get the most out of my workouts and avoid bad food choices throughout the day.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast if I have time. It depends. Sometimes I'll make myself a big breakfast while other times I'll make something small like cheese on toast just to tie me over until I can make "real" food :)
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    So far I've been managing to lose weight without breakfast but so many people bang on about how I should and how important it is. So my question is how many of you eat breakfast and how many of you have successfully lost weight without it?

For me personally, the following few items are why "not eating breakfast" is better for me.

- eating breakfast makes me ravenous throughout the day - once I start eating I cant stop....
    - I like to eat 2 satisfying meals a day - lunch around 300-400 cals, dinner around 900-1100
    - Its sustainable, and suits ME..... It was the easiest change Ive made to my diet - with a huge impact to my weight.....its how I naturally eat, so Im extremely happy with the results.
    -

This is me almost exactly and 90lbs later I'm doing just fine. No, it won't work for everyone, but it's perfect for me and that's what matters.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast because I am hungry in the morning. :)
  • markpapi412
    markpapi412 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a very hard time eating breakfast. I usually wait about 2 hours after waking up to eat but I def count my calories when I do eat my breakfast. The hard part is knowing what to eat and not having too many calories! I am open to suggestions on what to eat (nutritionally speaking). Feel free to add me as a friend too!
  • helen_demun
    helen_demun Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I always eat breakfast! But I'm also always hungry in the morning too. But I also find eating gives me energy for the day and my mood is 20x better if I eat breakfast.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat breakfast - only occasionally at the weekend or when I'm working from home. Unless you count coffee as breakfast - in which case I always have breakfast...
  • skmonak
    skmonak Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I also eat breakfast everyday. I am up early and my job does not set aside a lunch time. My breakfast is always less than 400 calories and is full of protein, fresh fruit and fiber. When I do get lunch it is less then 300 calories and again full of protein and fiber. I have 2 small snacks each day and a light super and I have trouble meeting my 1500 calories intake goal. I have lost 40 lbs. so far. So, it works for me.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have a very hard time eating breakfast. I usually wait about 2 hours after waking up to eat but I def count my calories when I do eat my breakfast. The hard part is knowing what to eat and not having too many calories! I am open to suggestions on what to eat (nutritionally speaking). Feel free to add me as a friend too!

I say eat what tastes good to you while delivering good nutrition. Personally, I like egg whites and sausage or yogurt. I pre-log the night before, but sometimes I wake up and change my mind if I have a hankering for something else. I just make it fit my cals and macros.
  • bbordner
    bbordner Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used to not eat breakfast, mostly because I would get a big one because I really like breakfast food then be falling into a food coma at around 9. When my doc got onto me about my cholesterol I started eating granola or oatmeal in the morning just to make sure I was consistently getting some fiber into my system. So, not so much because I thought breakfast was good for me, but to make sure I was doing what I needed to get my numbers down.

Now I mostly keep up the practice so I'm not starving by lunch and go overboard. I have a half cup of granola when I first get to work and going through the morning's messages. That amounts to 230 calories for the brand I like. Keeping it small like that and having about 500~600 calories for lunch seems to work for me, since I'm never really sure what's going to be for dinner and I like to have the buffer in what I have remaining for the day (my daily goal is 1690 calories and I'm usually under that). When I'm lucky, there's enough for a small dessert or a beer afterwards. Weekends, it depends on how I'm feeling when I get up, normally though I get started on something and don't think about eating until lunch time.

Like has been said, do what works for you and your body.
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options

-

This is me almost exactly and 90lbs later I'm doing just fine. No, it won't work for everyone, but it's perfect for me and that's what matters.

Me too. Almost exactly except dinner is more 6-8ish. I also don't really like most breakfast foods.
  • madguru7
    madguru7 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Toast. Oatmeal. It gives me wings.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the first meal you eat of the day, so technically everyone eats it. Even if it's at 5pm. Not to be a smartass.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the first meal you eat of the day, so technically everyone eats it. Even if it's at 5pm. Not to be a smartass.

You can only skip breakfast once ....
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I've been tempted to phase out breakfast, but I like my English muffin too much. Either way, I don't eat until one most days.