Help me with a diet plan, please?

Options
I've been a member of MFP for a couple years, but mainly start and stop the whole time. I currently haven't posted or logged anything in about 6 months or so. I want to start but don't know what diet plan I want or where to start. I'm getting WLS next year so would like to start out with high protein, low carb diet to follow along with the way of living after having it done. Does anyone have a plan that I could start out with? Maybe a daily meal plan that I could use as a base?

Replies

• tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would join the low carb high fat group on here. They are super helpful and that type of diet is what will be recommended for you post surgery.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    For any meal plan to work, you have to stick to it. You can only stick to an eating plan that fits and adapts to your changing needs and schedule, beliefs and preferences - and you are the only one that has intimate knowledge of all that. There is no "best" or "right" way of eating. But there are innumerable ways to get in all the nutrition you need, without getting too much of anything, which is all you have to do. You can lose weight without surgery. Set up MFP to the amount of calories that lets you lose 1% of your body weight per week. Log meticulously and consistently. Hit your calorie goal. Eat some food from every food group every day. You'll lose weight without starving or depriving yourself.

Be aware that WLS is big business, and a cynical one. And that all it does, is force you to eat less. You have a choice of going through with it or not. But you can also decide for yourself to eat less, and with an intact body.
  • Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Let's stick to the subject and not dwell on the fact that I'm having WLS, please.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
  • alucard2010
    alucard2010 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One thing is do not diet!! Its a lifestyle change that needs to be maintained over the long turn. Find out what your TDEE Here http://mytdee.com/ Lower your calorie consumption by 200 calories every 2 weeks if you do not see a change. track your foods with a scale. Make your goals modest .5 to 1 pound a week is just fine. Try some form of strength training which burns more calories with every pound of muscle you gain. Low carb, high carb, low fat,high fat, etc there is not clear answer except what works for you
  • Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    That's an interesting site. Thanks.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Doesn't WLS teams offer their patients a diet plan? If they do, why don't you follow that?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm doing the open to the public diary diet plan.
    I get so scared that someone could peek, that I avoid eating the doritos and dip.
    I really works. Open diary.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I get so scared that someone could peek, that I avoid eating the doritos and dip.

This doesn't really sound like a healthy relationship with food.
    Terri70 wrote: »
    Let's stick to the subject and not dwell on the fact that I'm having WLS, please.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Having WLS is huge piece of creating a sustainable plan for you though., if you insist on having it. Not something that should be ignored.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @Terri70 we're 5 months 12 days from next year. I myself have been using mfp to record the food I eat and learn about the nutrition I need for 5 months and about 19 days. In that time, I've lost over 60 lb. I suspect that if you take this only as seriously as I do, and I have days off the wagon and I have days of skipping exercise, you also will experience a similar weight loss before next year and you just might decide not to spend that money on the subject which you request we not discuss.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    OP, yep... I agree with @kommodevaran any plan will work if you stick to it. It doesn't have to be drastic and full or rules to be a good diet. I personally eat nutritious foods as well as foods that I like such as cookies, ice cream, pizza, and I have been losing weight, 90lbs.. Portion control, weighing foods and accurate logging has got me so much further than diets that cut foods and food groups out.

Why would anyone care if you have doritos and dip? If you want them, you can have them. Most of us here enjoy our favourites and have lost or are losing weight.
    I eat all sorts of foods, foods that care classed as good, and foods that are classed as 'bad', but to me, all food is food. I only stay away from foods that I don't like. Am I losing weight? Of course I am. All I do is weigh food and stick to my calories. Sometimes I slip up, but...oh well. I get back to it and that's all that matters.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options

Your diary has completely different headings across the top. Very difficult to compare.