So confused and in a rut

Options
I really need to lose weight but have been so confused about the best approach, worried and overeating big time. Half of what I read says diets don't work/are not sustainable, but now I see most ppl on here are doing so well. I guess I nees to focus on really wanting to lose and start tracking. I'm at home with my baby, have been feeling a bit down and just feel like I can't get started I guess.
Sorry to sound like a whinge fest. Thank you so much for reading x

Replies

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink this. It's really not hard to get started:
    - log everything you eat
    - aim to eat a good variety of foods to keep you healthy - things that you like, just not too much.
    - find fun things to do to get you moving more: take baby out for a walk in the pram, find a mums and bubs yoga or workout class, go swimming, dance around to make your baby giggle.

Once you've done this for a month or so you will get a better feel for what makes you feel good, and you can change things around if you need to.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I think many do well because many don't consider this a "diet". I don't deprive myself of foods, I just make sure it all fits in my calorie goal. I do like to choose healthier foods (chicken and fish, steamed veggies, etc), but if I want something sweet, I'll still treat myself to ice cream, chocolate. Those mini Magnum ice cream bars are great.
  • mom2rpkp
    mom2rpkp Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    What they said
  • glenorch
    glenorch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, so much is in the mindset hey. I really appreciate your responses!
  • Mardill
    Mardill Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I felt depressed & confused before starting MFP (MyFitnessPal). I think I had tried every diet over many years. Yes, I would lose weight but I would always regain it all plus more.

After starting MFP, I discovered that members who treated it as a healthy lifestyle change were the successful ones. So, I decided to commit to logging everything I ate, eating healthy foods, & getting more exercise. This has worked for me. I don't feel deprived & I have lost 37 lbs. I still have a lot more to lose but this time I am positive I will reach my goal & be able to keep it off.
    I will send you a friend request & we can encourage & support each other.
  • hunt_kellyjo
    hunt_kellyjo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am in this nastiness too! Having a hard time and it is summer, who knew! Maybe we could help each other.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Diets absolutely do work- anything creates a deficit works. A person may get fed up with them and stop, especially if they are over-complicated/ monotonous/ incompatible with everyday life etc. And if you go back to eating over your (new) maintenance level you will re-gain the weight.

As everyone here has said - its a lifestyle change.
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Satiety is a thing. Until I found foods that really made me feel full and satisfied it all felt like an exercise in futility. Experiment with that makes you feel full and satisfied within your deficit. Good luck!
  • jclark383
    jclark383 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always gotten. Is that what you want?
    I heard these words...i will never forget them. Sharing them now. I stopped alot of self destructive behavior and OWNED alot.
    My brother said this to me.
    I love my brother.
    He's smart.

• BAFCH
    BAFCH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the change is in the mind, and that will translate into what you eat. You have to believe in yourself, believe that you can make small changes and believe that you will get where you need to be if you really want it. We have all been at the beginning and it's hard, but it does get a lot easier once you find your feet. It is your journey, it won't be easy and you will have set backs and off days, but it will all be worth it in the end

Ease yourself in and start logging in everything you eat and target to stay within your calorie goal and most importantly, have confidence in what you're doing. You have made a huge decision to make a change, and that is a big step.

If you can, try and get walking with your babe and gradually ease yourself in to different activities as some have suggested above.

Good luck! :)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose, stall, gain a bit, and lose as a trend overall rather than in a linear fashion. Sometimes my body stalls to adjust to a drop. But instead of looking at it as a negative I use the stalls as "maintenance training". It has been easier to lose and KEEP IT OFF that way. So when you do get little periods of a week or two where you stall, stay on track, don't give up, and you will see a downward trend over time.
  • glenorch
    glenorch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I really needed to hear all this today and am determined to get started. Thank you for taking the time to give such helpful advice to a stranger, it's so awesome :)
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    glenorch wrote: »
    I really need to lose weight but have been so confused about the best approach, worried and overeating big time. Half of what I read says diets don't work/are not sustainable, but now I see most ppl on here are doing so well. I guess I need to focus on really wanting to lose and start tracking. I'm at home with my baby, have been feeling a bit down and just feel like I can't get started I guess.
    Sorry to sound like a whinge fest. Thank you so much for reading x

depending on YOUR definition of "diet", you can do very well. Many people I know say "diet" is simply what you eat, not a particular plan. What ONE small change can you make daily starting today that will get you to your reasonable goal? For me, no food or drink is off limits. I pay attention to my body and what it's telling me. So, if i want ice cream, i have a few bites. If i want the whole scoop, fine. I log it.