Why my weight is static after a few weight loss? Help!

Options
Constantly lost few kg in 7 days. All of sudden its become static. I can't do any heavy exercise due to my knee operation last year. Help please.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    weight loss isn't linear, just keep going and the scale will move again.
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Check if you don't eat too little? Are you on low calorie? Do you eat enough? Then how about you exercise? If you do, how about a change in exercise regime? Too little information. Priv if you need help.
  • ZaraFlora
    ZaraFlora Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    weight loss isn't linear, just keep going and the scale will move again.

Thank you
  • ZaraFlora
    Options
    mypi wrote: »
    Check if you don't eat too little? Are you on low calorie? Do you eat enough? Then how about you exercise? If you do, how about a change in exercise regime? Too little information. Priv if you need help.

Eating food in low calories effect weight loss?
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie goal? What's your activity level? Age weight height etc... are u logging everything accurately. It's that age old energy in V energy out. But also water retention, hormones, stress, sleep all effect the scales. So even if u don't lose after a week be patient. Body has to adjust. Needs to be monitored over period of weeks without change so u can see if what u are doing is effective rather than automatically depriving yourself of another 100 calories a day n be hungry.
    You don't have to eat all low calorie food you just have to not go over your calorie goal. That could be 100kg of lettuce or a large quarter pounder meal and a choc sunday.
    Say u sat round all day and did no exercise your limit might be 1400 calories. You can eat 1400 worth of salad n grilled chicken or 1400 of chocolate crisps and soda. Doesn't matter as long as u don't go over the 1400. However if u do go the chocolate etc u won't get much food n prob be hungry all day! And not very nutritious!
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    fzh_peace wrote: »

Yes it does. Before we even get into that subject double check your counting every calorie and not eating some food here and there. Secondly, the majority of the initial weight you lost was water weight *some fat too. Once that's out the way weight loss is less rapid, so don't expect to lose the same amount you lost in your first week through out the course of your weight loss journey. Thirdly, eating a ridiculously low calorie diet will work for a few weeks (it always does) then eventually you'll plateau. To break this plateau most people cut their calories further and up the exercise which IMO is the wrong way to go about weight loss. Because before you know it, your metabolism slows right down and you're gaining weight on those low calories while working out 6 days a week. That's not sustainable neither is it productive. My advice would be to use a reputable online calorie calculator to find out how many calories you should be eating (IIFYM.com) then plug that figure into MFP. You can alter the macro ratios as you see fit. Only you know how your body works. Then every 7 - 10 days eat at maintenance to avoid the plateau. That day of increased calories will signal to your body that you're not starving yourself and everything is good. This method will allow you to lose the weight without any issues. Good luck.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    No if you are eating too little you'd loss weight. That's not how "starvation mode" works at all.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Yes it does. Before we even get into that subject double check your counting every calorie and not eating some food here and there. Secondly, the majority of the initial weight you lost was water weight *some fat too. Once that's out the way weight loss is less rapid, so don't expect to lose the same amount you lost in your first week through out the course of your weight loss journey. Thirdly, eating a ridiculously low calorie diet will work for a few weeks (it always does) then eventually you'll plateau. To break this plateau most people cut their calories further and up the exercise which IMO is the wrong way to go about weight loss. Because before you know it, your metabolism slows right down and you're gaining weight on those low calories while working out 6 days a week. That's not sustainable neither is it productive. My advice would be to use a reputable online calorie calculator to find out how many calories you should be eating (IIFYM.com) then plug that figure into MFP. You can alter the macro ratios as you see fit. Only you know how your body works. Then every 7 - 10 days eat at maintenance to avoid the plateau. That day of increased calories will signal to your body that you're not starving yourself and everything is good. This method will allow you to lose the weight without any issues. Good luck.

OP this poster is simply posting misinformation to you regarding the third part of his paragraph. Starvation mode does NOT work like this poster is explaining to you.

Eating food low in calories is certainly fine. What the mfp'ers are trying to say is that eating a very low calorie diet (number of calories eating per day is low) not that the calories in the food you eat are low. You have not disclosed that you are eating below the recommended threshold to loose weight..
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    As has been said before various things affect scale weight - these factors can effect water retention and also 'waste retention ' (aka constipation) or the opposite- dehydration etc.

Food weight inside you ( once you have eaten it) will never remain the same as some things weigh heavier than others e.g 300 calories of carrots will weigh heavier than 300 calories of chocolate. That food is inside you till... Its not. (ahem). It makes mo difference to body fat as its not body weight just food weight. What the scales show will reflect what you have eaten that day (s).

Its not an exact science - if you can accept that youll be fine.
  • ZaraFlora
    Options
    Neanbean13 wrote: »
    What's your calorie goal? What's your activity level? Age weight height etc... are u logging everything accurately. It's that age old energy in V energy out. But also water retention, hormones, stress, sleep all effect the scales. So even if u don't lose after a week be patient. Body has to adjust. Needs to be monitored over period of weeks without change so u can see if what u are doing is effective rather than automatically depriving yourself of another 100 calories a day n be hungry.
    You don't have to eat all low calorie food you just have to not go over your calorie goal. That could be 100kg of lettuce or a large quarter pounder meal and a choc sunday.
    Say u sat round all day and did no exercise your limit might be 1400 calories. You can eat 1400 worth of salad n grilled chicken or 1400 of chocolate crisps and soda. Doesn't matter as long as u don't go over the 1400. However if u do go the chocolate etc u won't get much food n prob be hungry all day! And not very nutritious!

I see. As long it's not over the calories goal everything fine eh? Thank you. I believe i maybe eaten a bit lower than recommend before.
  • ZaraFlora
    Options

Noted. Will recheck how many recommended calories i should take after this. Agree. I believe i lost water for the first week.
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

OP this poster is simply posting misinformation to you regarding the third part of his paragraph. Starvation mode does NOT work like this poster is explaining to you.

Eating food low in calories is certainly fine. What the mfp'ers are trying to say is that eating a very low calorie diet (number of calories eating per day is low) not that the calories in the food you eat are low. You have not disclosed that you are eating below the recommended threshold to loose weight..

I read the OP's question as "Does low calorie diets effect weight loss" my mistake. However, how do you think plateau's works? Other than being in a caloric deficit for an extended period of time causing the body to forcefully slow the rate of weight loss down.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    A plateau can be caused by lowering your bodyweight ( though cico) so that what was a defecit amount is now maintenance amount.

Its not lowering your metabolism unnaturally - the lighter you weigh the less calories you need (barring exercise etc.)

That's why its useful to rerun the calculations for every 10lbs lost.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Huh? Not accurate. ;)

You don't lose weight from not eating enough.

It could be natural fluctuations or water retention from any number of things. It could even be that she's eating too much.
    Constantly lost few kg in 7 days. All of sudden its become static. I can't do any heavy exercise due to my knee operation last year. Help please.

Do you weigh your food and log everything you eat? Do you exercise and count/eat back exercise calories? If so, where do you get those burn numbers from? The only exercise calories that should be eaten back are from steady state cardio, anything else is part of your activity level.

Also, what are your stats? How much are you trying to lose?
  • ZaraFlora
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I get that. Thank you for pointing it out. Must be not very accurate in calories counter for a moment. Perhaps i mistakenly calculate.
  • ZaraFlora
    Options
    As has been said before various things affect scale weight - these factors can effect water retention and also 'waste retention ' (aka constipation) or the opposite- dehydration etc.

Food weight inside you ( once you have eaten it) will never remain the same as some things weigh heavier than others e.g 300 calories of carrots will weigh heavier than 300 calories of chocolate. That food is inside you till... Its not. (ahem). It makes mo difference to body fat as its not body weight just food weight. What the scales show will reflect what you have eaten that day (s).

Its not an exact science - if you can accept that youll be fine.

Haha. Noted. Thank you
  • ZaraFlora
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Huh? Not accurate. ;)

You don't lose weight from not eating enough.

It could be natural fluctuations or water retention from any number of things. It could even be that she's eating too much.

Do you weigh your food and log everything you eat? Do you exercise and count/eat back exercise calories? If so, where do you get those burn numbers from? The only exercise calories that should be eaten back are from steady state cardio, anything else is part of your activity level.

Also, what are your stats? How much are you trying to lose?

I see. Ahhh yes. i count everything. even tiny little grapes. I'm started to do abs exercise for a moment. Many advice simple exercise as plank will do if my knee can't do anything right. I'm trying to lose approximately another 15 kg to get my ideals weight.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Go back to your doctor and ask them why your knee is preventing you from lifting weights cause that makes no sense. You can do everything but legs as heavy as all hell with a knee problem.