Cardio vs lifting while trying to lose weight

Options
Before you say it, I understand that a calorie deficit equals weightloss.
I hit my calorie goals on here everyday, so I wanted to see what the differences were going to be between doing cardio or weights. In the past I have stuck to cardio for like an hour. For the past 2 weeks I lift for 35-45 min and do cardio 15-20.
Just curious how they would effect me in the long haul.

Back ground info, I'm 23 and I need to lose around 30 lbs. I've lost 25 a while ago.

Replies

• drmohdnazari
    drmohdnazari Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cardio workout definitely for burn fat. For toning your body shape weightlifting or strengthening workout you should do.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Lifting, for sure. Don't wait until you lose weight to lift, lift now.
    Cardio if you want s few extra calories to eat, and of course, for cardiovascular health.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Cardio workout definitely for burn fat. For toning your body shape weightlifting or strengthening workout you should do.
    Cardio doesn't burn fat exclusively. It burn calories. Calories of fat burned by cardio isn't as much as many think it is.
    What burns the most fat is being in a calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    ^This!
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    In the past I have stuck to cardio for like an hour. For the past 2 weeks I lift for 35-45 min and do cardio 15-20.
    Just curious how they would effect me in the long haul.

What you are doing is a good mix. I do both weights and cardio, which is ideal. If you can only do one - lift. But both is better for sure.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You just have to realize you won't be burning as many calories when you lift. If you're using the MFP NEAT method, enter minimal amount of time spent lifting. If you're using TDEE, figure out the best way to add it in. I lift heavy, 4x per week, two hour sessions, and it fits nicely into my lightly active option. I've never added calories for it.

That said, you're going to look better for it. So just do it.
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I do both- look for app like 5x5 takes 25-30 minutes- you don't have to spend hours in gym- kettle bells do great cardio & strength- watch exercise video on utube- read strong lift for women- do a few days a week running too- I did see more change measurements when I added weight lifting- but less scale going down... Go by how you fit clothes rather than just scale
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    My argument against cardio for weight loss (and I LOVE cardio) is that you spend an hour or sometimes a lot more doing cardio in an effort to lose weight then reach goal weight and stop. Now you've just dropped your TDEE.

Lifting preserves muscle mass. Cardio has health benefits as well.

My POV has always been do what you enjoy, watch calories for weight loss, exercise for health. Do what you will continue to do after you've reached goal.
    Agree. Exercise should be for fitness and health and not just a means to try to lose weight. Weight loss/gain/maintenance starts first with how much you consume versus how much you burn.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do both. (Have a look on suppversity I found their reviews of the scientific evidence helpful - http://suppversity.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1 )

Having looked at this I think weights and interval training are the most beneficial for fat loss - I do cardio intervals in running and cycling. (I can run faster and further from mixing up with shorter intervals than consistent long slogs)

However there's no doubt in my mind that cardio is good for you, whether it burns calories or fat or not.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    I do both. (Have a look on suppversity I found their reviews of the scientific evidence helpful - http://suppversity.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1 )

Having looked at this I think weights and interval training are the most beneficial for fat loss - I do cardio intervals in running and cycling. (I can run faster and further from mixing up with shorter intervals than consistent long slogs)

However there's no doubt in my mind that cardio is good for you, whether it burns calories or fat or not.
    Weights and interval training are great for training muscle and improving fitness and conditioning, but again, it comes down to CICO. I can promise you that if you consume your TDEE or more, not much fat loss is going to happen even if you trained this way.
    Just a note if you didn't know: one burns the most fat calories at rest (100% fuel source). So rest and sleeping is where one will burn the majority fat and the most efficiently at that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Weights and interval training are great for training muscle and improving fitness and conditioning, but again, it comes down to CICO. I can promise you that if you consume your TDEE or more, not much fat loss is going to happen even if you trained this way.
    Just a note if you didn't know: one burns the most fat calories at rest (100% fuel source). So rest and sleeping is where one will burn the majority fat and the most efficiently at that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Sorry I was making an assumption on calorie deficit in addition to exercise! I know I can't lose weight purely through exercise - experience has taught me that!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

My POV has always been do what you enjoy, watch calories for weight loss, exercise for health. Do what you will continue to do after you've reached goal.

this!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Someone wise once said "losing weight makes you look good in clothes, lifting heavy makes you look good naked"

I see dozens of people a day in the weight room that totally refute that claim.

And I do mean REFUTE.

Totally.
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Someone wise once said "losing weight makes you look good in clothes, lifting heavy makes you look good naked"

And I do mean REFUTE.

Totally.

They may be new. Or haven't gotten to where they want to be yet. Or not so good at CICO.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    rickc74 wrote: »
    Azdak wrote: »

And I do mean REFUTE.

Totally.

They may be new. Or haven't gotten to where they want to be yet. Or not so good at CICO.

Or they're power lifters......

OP, my vote is for both but with the emphasis on the one that supports your long term goals.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    OP, (or to whom it may concern), you don't need to worry about getting bulky or too muscular on accident, no matter how you're training, especially if you're in a calorie deficit. It doesn't work like that. You will not get huge. I could go on... but just... no.
    To reiterate, CICO is # 1.
    Lifting while working toward fat loss can help to preserve lean muscle, which will make you look better when you hit your target weight. Look into some kind of programming if you haven't already.
    When calories are in check, cardio can give you a little more wiggle room, and also it's good for you! I find it relaxing to do a little after my lift.
  • jollyjeepers
    jollyjeepers Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The one thing that I don't think has been mentioned here (unless I missed it) is that while muscle does weigh more than fat, the more muscle you have the more fat it will burn with metabolism. It is important to have enough protein and water even 24 hours after using weights for your muscles to repair themselves. That's also why a rest day between is important. The comment about looking good naked is certainly a good one!

While I may not be any shining example, I have worked with and been coached on weights since I began in 1981. I like the way I feel. Weights also help to support you so it's a health benefit to you as well. Cardio can certainly burn calories and make your cardio system stronger and healthier. If you want to get more out of cardio, do intervals where you spend a certain amount of time going hell bent and then a more comfortable speed. You should be able to look up some good info on the internet about this.

Hope this helps.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    CICO is BS, I did it for 8 months, didn't work.

And now all the experts are going to tell me how I did it all wrong.

Do you have a metabolic disorder? No? Then you did it wrong....you either underestimated your caloric intake or overestimated your caloric expenditure (or a combination of the two) unless you're a special flower exempt from the laws of physics.

CICO works, it's worked in the past and it will work in the future. Individuals, with the exception of those with metabolic disorders or taking meds that imitate metabolic disorders, are remarkably homogeneous. We get fat by eating too much, we lose weight by eating at a deficit. It may take some fine tuning but if you're accurately tracking your intake and accurately estimating your expenditure it works ver the long run.