Fish

Options
What is the healthiest fish to eat, normally I eat salmon fillets but I'm not sure how healthy it is for me

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    All of them. Eat a variety of foods, not too much of anything, to get a good mix of nutrients. It tastes better too.

My favorites are salmon, trout, tuna, herring, mackerel; I can also eat cod if prepared right and in a good meal.
  • shortygirl1987
    shortygirl1987 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I mostly eAt salmon and tuna
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    All of them. Eat a variety of foods, not too much of anything, to get a good mix of nutrients. It tastes better too.

this

i usually eat salmon on days we have fish, that or cod.

• BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If it's in it's natural form, meaning nothing has been added to it prior to you cooking it then all of them. And that's not to say adding bread crumbs or flour to fish is unhealthy, however without bread crumbs/flour would be the less caloric option. Personally I love tilapia, red bream and whiting. Yum.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Eating top feeding fish, farm raised (depending on how they do the fish farming) is not recommended. Things like shark, swordfish, tuna, etc. are high in mercury. There are also sites out the that give you warnings on the mercury amount in current fresh water fish.

Wild pacific salmon is usually safe and renewable. Tuna is over fished and has higher amounts of mercury.

There are alot of sites that talk about fish safety. Here is just one.

The 5 Fish That Are Most Contaminated—And 5 You Should Eat Instead
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/most-contaminated-fish
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I love Mahi Mahi!!

I don't know if it's the healthiest, but it's my favorite :)
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Swordfish is excellent on the grill. Not a flaky fish, meaty.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Swordfish is excellent on the grill. Not a flaky fish, meaty.

Mmmmmmmm.... love swordfish <3
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    These days, I mostly go with Herring, Mackarel, Salmon, and Sardines. Oily fish is life.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There is no "healthiest" anything. Eating a variety is good. Trying to pinpoint the best whatever and only eating that is a bad approach.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    What is the healthiest fish to eat, normally I eat salmon fillets but I'm not sure how healthy it is for me

I like Cod, Salmon and Talipa.

Not a huge fan of Bassa always turns out like crap but I always buy it from forzen.

• jollyjeepers
    jollyjeepers Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Some great advice here. If you do eat tuna more than 2-3 times a week, you should be careful of mercury overload. You can be tested for it, but the advice to vary and this were both good.
    cee134 wrote: »
    Eating top feeding fish, farm raised (depending on how they do the fish farming) is not recommended. Things like shark, swordfish, tuna, etc. are high in mercury. There are also sites out the that give you warnings on the mercury amount in current fresh water fish.

Wild pacific salmon is usually safe and renewable. Tuna is over fished and has higher amounts of mercury.

There are alot of sites that talk about fish safety. Here is just one.

The 5 Fish That Are Most Contaminated—And 5 You Should Eat Instead
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/most-contaminated-fish

• gjw1911
    gjw1911 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Most all fish is good for you (as long as its not battered and fried), but my favorites are Tilapia, salmon, tuna, & catfish.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Fish is the only meat I eat, salmon, prawns, tuna, mackerel, sardines all good.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Choose wild caught.
    Not farmed from China. Always read the package, carefully.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why would you assume fish comes in a "package"?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Prepared properly, I can't think of one that not healthy, but salmon give a lot of bang for the calories.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    salmon is very healthy for you. I like fish cooked with olive oil, salt and pepper and you can also use soyaki sauce which is soy sauce and teriyaki. You can also cook fish stovetop and add a little lemon.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Why would you assume fish comes in a "package"?

All the fish I buy comes in a package.
    I'm guessing @MelaniaTrump means if it comes in a package read the label especially tinned fish as there can be salt etc added.