Pre-op RNY Surgery (Dieting to endure less pain)

Options
Hello...wondering if anyone else is debating/going through WLS? I have 3 more months of dieting before everything gets moved it to insurance...I have back & knee issues (since kid) so I can't exercise like normal people (I can only diet so much) so the only option for me as bariatric surgery. This app is awesome for keeping track of things for my dietitian & WL journey

Replies

841983 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm going for a gastric bypass surgery on June 1.
  • gymjunkie0204
    gymjunkie0204 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved last year, lost 110 lbs. so far. It was the best decision I've ever made. If you're interested there also support groups on facebook you could join for more support. Look up Gastric Sleeve and Bariatric Support. Good luck and I wish you the best :)
  • sarahpetzel2386
    sarahpetzel2386 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm preop, rny scheduled in December. I'm nervous but know it's the right things for me. I too have back and knee problems along with bad GERD and migraines. hoping it will help! 3 out of 6 months of dietician meetings but I don't think I'd be ready without them.
  • tammmers83
    tammmers83 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am a surgical technologist... I have assisted on dozens of these surgeries. Ive seen them go as planned. Ive spent hours talking with the surgeons. I've seen dozens of patients (which is like only 5-10%) come back with major complications including anorexia and malnutrition...necessitating a feeding tube and deathly ill patient. Basically what I have drawn from my experience is that weight loss surgery is a risky way to physically and surgically enforce a resricted diet that you are capable of enforcing yourself with the right and education. In my opinion you do not need this surgery... I believe it was designed to make $ off of people who believe they are out of options. You will lose weight.... It will work... But you CAN do it on your own!
  • debbiesue17
    debbiesue17 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago, and it was the BEST DECISION I have ever made. The anti-surgery folks are certainly entitled to their opinions, and the surgery is not without it's (big) risks. However, it is a safe and effective option for most people. I hate the belief that it is the "easy way out," or that "anyone can lose the weight with willpower." Weight loss (and gain) is a highly personal and complicated thing. Only you can decide for yourself what is right. It is not -- in any way, shape or form -- easy.

I lost 117 pounds. Gained back about 20 due to over-doing it on my morning lattes and extra snacking. Got back on my eating program and have lost most of that 20. It will always and forever require attention, focus and hard work -- no matter how you go about losing weight.

My knees, ankles and back no longer hurt (except on high-mileage running weeks :-)). I have completed 2 marathons, 4 triathlons, several half-marathons, 10 -milers, and more 5k's and 10k's than I can count. I'm starting to get into trail running and am looking at a 100 mile bike race in about a year. I plan to be a runner, biker and triathlete for as long as my body cooperates. I am loving my life and feel amazing (and my legs look pretty damned good for being in my mid-50's).

Just remember... no matter how you go about losing weight... it's work... and it's so very worth the effort.

Good luck!!!