Exercising regularly and HUNGRY AS A MOFO!

Options
I have now been exercising consistently for about an hour a day for two months. I can tell that I am slimming down and toning up but dayum I am ALWAYS hungry now. How do I deal with the hunger? I guess it is good that my metabolism is speeding up, but I am eating too many calories each day.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for exercise, and how much? Are you eating back the calories you burn?
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Vegetables lol. I'm serious, I'm a volume eater so I'm adding extra veggies like crazy. That's how I stretch my meals as far as I can for the fewest calories.

I have a hyoooooge bowl of zoodles with garlic & cheese every day, add veggie medleys to meat/sauces, shove as much lettuce & tomatoes I can in sandwiches & wraps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough to support that activity?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    1) how long have you been hungry for? are you PMSing?
    2) do you eat enough calories?
    3) do you eat enough protein, fat, and fiber?

I wish veggies filled me up but they really don't anymore... I do better if I add a bit of beans/potatoes than if I only have a lot of veggies now.
  • esedwards60854
    esedwards60854 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Water helps
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You're likely not eating enough and/or you're not hitting one or more of your macros. Too many carbs and sugars should be taken in to consideration as well.
  • Francl27
    Options
    You're likely not eating enough and/or you're not hitting one or more of your macros. Too many carbs and sugars should be taken in to consideration as well.

Yeah. Sadly as I got leaner and started exercising more, I stopped being able to get away with 20% calories of 'junk'. More than 200 calories of non filling foods and I will be hungry 90% of the time. It sucks. But it really depends a lot on the time of the month too.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What did you eat today ?
  • lmjannin
    lmjannin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for exercise, and how much? Are you eating back the calories you burn?

I am exercising on the elliptical machine for an hour and basically eating back what I burn.
  • lmjannin
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    What did you eat today ?

So far: 1 spinach smoothie, Greek Yogurt, 2 boneless pork chops.
  • lmjannin
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I wish veggies filled me up but they really don't anymore... I do better if I add a bit of beans/potatoes than if I only have a lot of veggies now.

1) Yes, definitely PMS-ey -- have been hungry like this for weeks
    2) More than enough -- usually ends up around 2200
    3) I am definitely carb-heavy on the diet
  • chey365
    chey365 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Any steady state cardio makes me hungry. I used to run a lot until I had problems with my feet. I'd run for an hour to hour and a half per day. I would be ravenous. Now I do kettle bell swings, body weight exercises, and some cardio on the elliptical (never over 30 minutes). Although cardio is great for weight loss, the constant hunger negates the calorie deficit if you give in and eat.
  • Francl27
    Options
    lmjannin wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

1) Yes, definitely PMS-ey -- have been hungry like this for weeks
    2) More than enough -- usually ends up around 2200
    3) I am definitely carb-heavy on the diet

Ok well PMS shouldn't last weeks. Hmm.

I'd say it's probably because you eat too many carbs. If I have too much bread/rice/sugar I always end up hungry. Seriously can't eat more than 2 servings a day of all those things or I will just be too hungry. And it's definitely worse if I have bread or quick oats for breakfast... even if I have protein and fat with them.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I was hungry all the time too, until I started eating more fat. 100 cals of fat satiates me more that 350 cals of fruit or veggies. It keeps the dizzy, light-headed feeling away.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

I am exercising on the elliptical machine for an hour and basically eating back what I burn.

How intense is your elliptical workout?

I find that moderate cardio suppresses my appetite but really intense cardio makes me hungry ("runger") for a while, it starts maybe an hour after I finish and it's with me all the next day. The line for me seems to be going over about 75 to 80 % of my max heart rate for a while.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have now been exercising consistently for about an hour a day for two months. I can tell that I am slimming down and toning up but dayum I am ALWAYS hungry now. How do I deal with the hunger? I guess it is good that my metabolism is speeding up, but I am eating too many calories each day.

It sounds like your intake is fine and from what you mentioned for today's meals it doesn't sound like a volume issue. If you previously ate a lot on a regular basis, that might be a contributing factor. When I first started I was hungry quite often until my stomach finally started to shrink. Another thing that could be at play is addictive elements like sodium and sugar. I've noticed I'm substantially hungrier when I've been consuming more of either of them and it takes a few days for my appetite to get back to normal.

Do you drink coffee at all? There have been a number of studies that suggest the caffeine acts as an appetite suppressant, and anecdotally I find 8oz of coffee with a little cream and sugar has eliminated my afternoon snack cravings.
  • Marss86
    Marss86 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well if you are losing the weight and toning how you want... Is it such a bad thing? Just don't let that allow you to eat even more down the road.

I noticed when I first started really working out hard several months ago, but appetite was through the roof. My body wasn't use to all the exercise and was telling me to eat eat eat ! After a couple months of working out , it finally slowed down and I feel like I eat the appropriate amount now.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

About 3 weeks ago, I started doing 45-60 on my elliptical 5 days a week. Before this, I alternated on You Tube videos (i.e. pilates with weights, walk away the pounds, and maybe 20 minutes occasionally on my elliptical).

Today, I am very hungry. Saturday, I did 85 minutes and Sunday 65 minutes. This morning was 45 minutes. I've already eaten all my snacks that I brought for the day. Yikes :(

I generally eat most of my calories later in the day and have a few bars and some almonds throughout the day and lunch and dinner in the evenings. It generally works fine, but today I'm hungry. I'll be okay though. I just wanted to comment on this thread since I am doing a similar routine.