Overwhelmed!!! Help!

Options
Hello, everyone! My name is Enid, and I'm new-ish here! I'm looking for some support and encouragement. I started eating right and running using the 5K app about 8 weeks ago. I've lost 6 lbs and feel good, BUT I noticed a persistent pinching pain on the outside of my left ankle (threatening tendinitis) and decided I needed to take a break from running. BOO! I was loving it! I decided to try spinning class twice a week instead. I thought it was fun and it kicked my butt! However, I read that it really isn't that great of a workout??? I also thought I would like to add some body weight strengthening exercises on the days I don't do cardio. I'm absolutely confused by all the choices and don't know where to start! Plus, if I can't run, what can I do for impact? UGH! I REALLY wanted this to be simple -- follow the 5K app and continue eating healthy. I guess I'm just overwhelmed and need some wise words. Thank you to you all, and looking forward to discussing fitness with you! :)

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Cycling is fine as long as you enjoy it and supports your goals.

For strength exercises, I would follow a structure program as it will maximize results. There are several BW programs in the below link, as well as many beginner dumbbell and barbell programs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Go do a spinning class with a good instructor and you won't ever say it's not a good workout.....
  • Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've worn a heart rate monitor while doing a hour long spinning class and it's said I burned over 600 calories. I'd say that's a pretty good workout.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    From the perspective of cardiovascular health, walking fast is just as effective as running and may be less stressful on your ankles. In the end whatever exercise you will do and enjoy is the best exercise for you!
  • StuffNThings
    StuffNThings Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you, all! That really does help me a lot! I feel so much better about what I am doing. I'll stick with the spinning class. It sure FELT like a great workout! I had also started The Nerd Fitness Beginner Body Weight Workout so I'll keep up with it on the days I don't spin or run, etc. ;)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you can do the 5K ap on an elliptical for lower impact. And spinning is a great cardio workout.
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Whoever told you that spinning wasn't a good workout needs their head examined.
  • BrowniesMommy
    BrowniesMommy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A great beginner strength training is Jamie Eason's routine. You can find it on bodybuilding.com or they're app.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else is saying, spinning is a great workout. But even if it wasn't, the best workout for you is the one that you enjoy and will keep doing. Finding what you like and what you want to do is WAY more important than finding the "most effective" workout (which doesn't exist, btw).

Secondly, weight loss is mostly a function of diet, whereas exercise is more for overall health and other health-related goals. If you want to lose weight, you can do that just through your diet. My point is that you shouldn't worry so much about your exercise program. Get your caloric intake where it should be, and you'll lose weight.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I can't answer all your questions, but whoever told you spinning class isn't a good workout should never be relied upon for information about anything, ever again.

^^ This times a million.

I spin 2-3x per week.. If you enjoy it, do it with a good instructor/class, do it safely (proper form), it's not only a blast but an amazing cardio workout. Will also help to strengthen certain leg muscles over time.

If you are going to 'get into' spinning more, you may want to look into cycling shoes to make the most of your time. Check with your instructor to see what kind of cleats are on the pedals of the bike you have access to - SPD or LOOK.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Spinning is a fantastic cardio workout. Esp if you have a good, high energy, instructor who focuses on intervals. I can ride 50-60 miles easy but honestly.... a good spin class kicks my butt.

And just keep in mind you said taking a break from running. You'll be back to it soon enough.
  • jbendetti
    jbendetti Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    oops, posted in error!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Lots of good tips provided. It really is pretty simple. A combination of healthy food choices(within calorie target) plus regular exercise (spin/run/weights, whatever) over a period of time will bring results that will have you feeling GREAT in a very short time. Then your next challenge will be deciding what else you'll want to do with all your excess energy! Best of luck.
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm a running hater, and struggled to find cardio that I liked. Spinning filled that void. I always look forward to my weekly class, absolutely LOVE my instructor (everyone check out Kristie LaTray on insta