Getting enough protein without too much fat?

Options

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, egg whites, and white fish are inexpensive and full of lean protein

Sirloin, shellfish, and pork loin are also helpful
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    Try tofu or seitan....all you're eating is animal protein which has fat.

Tofu and seitan aren't fat-free.

I didn't say they were fat-free. However, they have a lot less fat than meats, eggs and dairy. It would not hurt to incorporate them into a diet looking to reduce fat content while keeping protein high.

To be fair, they also have less bioavailable protein. The best choice aside from protein powder in terms of bioavailability, cost, and protein to fat ratio is likely egg whites
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    If I'm doing the math right, you're eating ~1600cals/day? Are you currently gaining/losing weight at 1600? Can't be sure, but it seems like you should be eating more if your goal is to build PLUS you're on the bike 12hrs/week. If you have more calories to work with, it'll be easier to get the 120g.

I'm eating about 2400 calories a day, but want to keep it down at 2000. Definitely getting enough calories as I've gained 15 pounds since starting this high-protein plan in January.

OK, but 120 g of protein is ~480 Cals. At 2000 Cals, that's 24%, not 30%. As such, that means your carb and/or fat is going to be over the prescribed percentage. In your case, it would seem that fat is over 20%.

If you're happy with your performance and weight, I wouldn't worry about it, TBH.

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

I didn't say they were fat-free. However, they have a lot less fat than meats, eggs and dairy. It would not hurt to incorporate them into a diet looking to reduce fat content while keeping protein high.

To be fair, they also have less bioavailable protein. The best choice aside from protein powder in terms of bioavailability, cost, and protein to fat ratio is likely egg whites

Sounds gross, but to each their own.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

"Gross" is pretty subjective, isn't it? I love some foods that others would consider gross. It's irrelevant. The OP indicated that she is already eating eggs, so apparently she doesn't find them gross.
  • sunnybeaches105
    edited July 2016
    Options

"Gross" is pretty subjective, isn't it? I love some foods that others would consider gross. It's irrelevant. The OP indicated that she is already eating eggs, so apparently she doesn't find them gross.

Agree, most of my fellow meat eaters feel the same about tofu and I love good tofu
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options

I'd like to eat seitan more. My stomach doesn't agree with soy in any more than an ounce or so a day. Tofu has fat, too. Still, I wish I could eat it more.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

I'd like to eat seitan more. My stomach doesn't agree with soy in any more than an ounce or so a day. Tofu has fat, too. Still, I wish I could eat it more.

You should be able to eat seitan since its soy-free. I like the tofurky brand sausages
  • amandaeve
    Options
    I made a summary of the suggestions in this thread, for anyone else who is trying to up their protein. Some of the items I am sick of, but I am excited to try new recipes. I am most excited about the 1/2 cottage cheese/yogurt combo, seitan, and sirloin steaks. I added "Think Thin" protein bars next to Builder's Bars cause they are tasty and I'm sick of eating Builder's Bars.

• Cottage cheese (70% less fat and 0% fat)
    • Fat free Greek yogurt
    • 1/2C cottage cheese, 1/2C Greek yogurt, 1 t lemon juice
    • Protein powder
    • Chicken breast
    • Shrimp
    • Tuna
    • Salmon
    • White fish
    • Turkey breast
    • Turkey bacon
    • Ground turkey
    • Pork loin
    • Petite sirloin steaks, marinated
    • Tri-tip beef roast
    • Tri-tip beef steak
    • Eggs
    • Builder’s bars
    • Tofu
    • Seitan
    • PB2
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

As noted above, it's gluten, not soy. I have not entirely acquired a taste for it yet (love tofu and tempeh, so luckily I'm good with soy). I personally want to like seitan because of the anti gluten trend. I'm a contrarian.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

As noted above, it's gluten, not soy. I have not entirely acquired a taste for it yet (love tofu and tempeh, so luckily I'm good with soy). I personally want to like seitan because of the anti gluten trend. I'm a contrarian.

Yeah, I enjoy seitan and would like to eat it more. I just haven't prepared it a whole lot myself and don't have an arsenal of recipes on hand- mostly just eaten it at restaurants. I ate a ton of tofu years back and developed an intolerance to it. Now I can eat a small amount of soy products, but still have digestive discomfort if I eat a meal's worth.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options

Seitan is actually wheat gluten. Stay away from tempeh, which is fermented soy, but you should be ok with seitan.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

Seitan is actually wheat gluten. Stay away from tempeh, which is fermented soy, but you should be ok with seitan.

what's wrong with fermented soy?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

what's wrong with fermented soy?

I think that comment is because the person they are addressing said they had issues eating more than an ounce of soy products per day.
  • mellyrunsfar
    mellyrunsfar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You mentioned a concern about salad dressing...

Here is a simple one I blend. 1 container of fat free cottage cheese, 2 Hidden Valley Ranch dip packets (the powdered seasoning) and a little bit of water (maybe 1 or 2 tablespoons depending on how thick you want it). Blend everything together and you've got a very flavorful dressing for salad or dip for veggies with no fat plus some protein.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    You mentioned a concern about salad dressing...

Here is a simple one I blend. 1 container of fat free cottage cheese, 2 Hidden Valley Ranch dip packets (the powdered seasoning) and a little bit of water (maybe 1 or 2 tablespoons depending on how thick you want it). Blend everything together and you've got a very flavorful dressing for salad or dip for veggies with no fat plus some protein.

Yum! So doing this, thanks!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    lean turkey or chicken breast ... I often eat a packet of water packed tuna with pickles and also eat a serving of turkey for lunch. I struggle trying to eat enough protein for my increased weight lifting workouts.

^this^ Chicken is the cheapest and best source of protein vs calories I've found. Boneless/Skinless chicken breasts have very little fat. Turkey is even higher in protein and lower in calories. Just buy the fresh stuff, you can find turkey in cutlets which is boneless and skinless and in ground versions with very little fat. They are great in a marinade and then grilled.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Beans?? I'm guessing you can't have too much edamame if you're sensitive to soy, but black beans and kidney beans will give you protein and carbs without the fat. Lentils are a good option too.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Skyr does it for me. I prefer it to protein powder.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Chicken gizzards are almost pure protein. I cook mine for a day (or two) in the slow cooker with chicken stock, they turn out very tender and you get a great broth from it, too.