For those who have lost a lot of weight.......

Options
tbullucks2006
tbullucks2006 Posts: 105 Member
Hi Everyone. I need some one to tell me this is normal. That it will be ok. I started this journey in January and I am 40 lbs down but over the last month or so I have really been struggling to keep losing. I was actually 47 lbs down but have gained 7 back. I take one step forward and then 2 steps back. Many a stressful day, cookouts, a work trip where the meals were decided and provided for me and my birthday (a lot of cake and booze a couple of times) are things that have contributed to this.
Don't get me wrong. I HAVE NOT GIVEN UP. However, I've had too many days recently where I've had the F*it today attitude. Pardon my french. I'll do good for a few days and then mess up. I'm really starting to freak out that I'm not going to start losing again. However, I recently saw a girl on a weight loss motivation Instagram account and it too her 4 years to lose 100 lbs and it had me wondering if maybe it's because she dealt with what I am and it took longer. Is this how weight loss is? Is it normal to struggle this much? I want to get until 200 lbs because I haven't been in 17 years and it's so close but feels so far away. Can anyone shed light on this for me? Any feedback will be really appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    What you have to remember is this process takes a while and you're going to have your ups and downs. You didn't gain the weight all at once and you're not going to lose it all at once. It's just a matter of going back and looking at your food logs and seeing what you did when you were successful and reestablishing that pattern. If you already established the successful pattern it's just a matter of getting back to that pattern

My other suggestion to you is you have to find a why. This why has to be totally selfish it can't be about your significant other it can't be about the kids. It has to be totally about you. By it being totally about you it will take care of all your other whys and it will get you through rough times.

You have to set a long-term goal and that goal is what's going to carry you. Yes I have my f it days but I have made a personal commitment to myself that I will succeed and I did succeed.
  • LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! 2 steps forward, one step back. But you know what?? That's still one step forward!
    I'm living my life while on this journey. I may not do the greatest everyday but I get right back at it and keep moving forward.
    Monday through Thursday is very easy due to work, it's very scheduled and no surprises. Weekends are hard! I usually move my goal down to 1 or even .5 pound per week on the weekends just to allow a little extra. Then move it right back up to 2 on Monday morning. When I'm able to at least maintain on weekends I feel that is a score for me!!
    The biggest part is just don't give up. Even if you have bad weekends, parties, etc.. If you give up, what then?? You'll go right back where you were to begin with. I don't want to start all over, do you?
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    A few years ago, I lost 42 pounds. And then I got stuck. I plateaued for 6 months with no change. Seriously, no change for 6 months, no inches lost, no clothing size lost, no difference in pictures, etc. And, the whole time I was logging every bite in MFP, exercising almost daily, and trying different combinations of higher calories and lower calories with nothing to show for it. I got so frustrated, I developed the Eff it attitude you describe. And, I decided to take 2 weeks off of logging, exercising, etc. Guess what. 2 weeks turned into 2 years, and a regain of about 30 of those 42 pounds.

My biggest regret is that I let my frustration get the best of me. Because, even if I had stayed the same weight for the next 2 or 3 years, it would still have been better than regaining it and starting over like I have now. My take away from that experience is to never give up, no matter how useless my efforts might seem in the moment. I know that is easier said than done when you get to feeling like all your hard work is for naught, or that a few days of not logging will be a nice "mental health break". But, just keep in mind that there is a worse scenario, ending up back where you started or even heavier.

ETA: I also lost those first 42 pounds in about 6 months. Maybe that was why it was so frustrating to me to then not lose anything for the next 6.
  • tbullucks2006
    Options
    [quote=Correction: you took 47 steps forward and 7 steps back. You are now 40 steps ahead and that's a huge deal! Yes it's going to take longer than you think but that's no excuse to ignore all the hard work you did.[/quote]
    OMG I love this outlook!!!
  • tbullucks2006
    Options
    [quote=Correction: you took 47 steps forward and 7 steps back. You are now 40 steps ahead and that's a huge deal! Yes it's going to take longer than you think but that's no excuse to ignore all the hard work you did. OMG I love this outlook!!!

• Anita_jane
    Anita_jane Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow you are an inspirational lot!
    I am just starting out and was devastated to have only lost 2lbs in 5 weeks, but you are all correct, slow and steady wins the race, just keep on- it may take me a long time to lose my 100lbs but that is much better than the alternative if I just caved and gave up.
    Btw any friend to journey with would be very welcome
  • huntersmom2016
    huntersmom2016 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Notaphase wrote: »
    I was actually 47 lbs down but have gained 7 back. I take one step forward and then 2 steps back.
    Correction: you took 47 steps forward and 7 steps back. You are now 40 steps ahead and that's a huge deal! Yes it's going to take longer than you think but that's no excuse to ignore all the hard work you did.

That's an AWESOME way to look at it!!!! Love it!!
  • Timmyswifey30
    Timmyswifey30 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm an overweight health nut and have done A LOT of research on this because I HATE regaining what I've lost!! It's called a plateau and sometimes it can start to reverse the changes you've been seeing!! Change workout and diet plan, for example start doing more cardio rather than strength training or vis versa. And you've probably been sticking to a strict diet and then fall off the wagon every few days, change that by adding a "cheat" snack, like 10 Doritos, don't do the suggested serving size because that's where more calories and fat come in, but try doing a half or quarter serving size. Then you feel like your still getting the desired effect of eating what you want without feeling guilty. Oh and at this cookouts, bday parties, etc. Choose the healthier option ie one hot dog without the bun and a table spoon sized portion of potato salad!
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I started at 222lbs about 10 years ago. Weighed in at 170.2 this morning. I haven't always been trying to lose weight but I have been making healthier choices. EVERYTHING has changed: food, drink, friends, family, jobs, hobbies... even what I consider relaxing is different (horseback riding instead of watching TV). These changes are HUGE. I have a long ways to go still but I'm no longer drinking a 3-4 beers every night. Give yourself credit and take whatever time you need to get where you want to be.
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone. I need some one to tell me this is normal. That it will be ok. I started this journey in January and I am 40 lbs down but over the last month or so I have really been struggling to keep losing. I was actually 47 lbs down but have gained 7 back. I take one step forward and then 2 steps back. Many a stressful day, cookouts, a work trip where the meals were decided and provided for me and my birthday (a lot of cake and booze a couple of times) are things that have contributed to this.
    Don't get me wrong. I HAVE NOT GIVEN UP. However, I've had too many days recently where I've had the F*it today attitude. Pardon my french. I'll do good for a few days and then mess up. I'm really starting to freak out that I'm not going to start losing again. However, I recently saw a girl on a weight loss motivation Instagram account and it too her 4 years to lose 100 lbs and it had me wondering if maybe it's because she dealt with what I am and it took longer. Is this how weight loss is? Is it normal to struggle this much? I want to get until 200 lbs because I haven't been in 17 years and it's so close but feels so far away. Can anyone shed light on this for me? Any feedback will be really appreciated. Thank you!

I think it is just raw determination that gets people there. Last summer, I lost around 21 lbs and worked all year to keep it off. The summer is when I have lots of time due to my job being over in June each year and I am trying to exercise about two hours a day. I have already budged about 7 pounds and hope to maybe get to the 20 mark by the end of August and then just maintain.

Just keep it up. The thinner you get, the more you will be able to do and the more motivated you will be to get out and do things.
  • fbcallicoat
    fbcallicoat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First, congrats! You're changing yourself and your life.

I understand the frustration -- we've all plateaued at some point. I was 262 lbs. last Halloween and ended up in the hospital for stress related infection due to diabetes. When I got out, I started daily exercise and a ketogenic diet. I eat very few carbs and lots of fat and some protein.

Today I weighed in at 167.6 lbs which is great, but for the past month or so I've been bouncing between about 167 and 174 lbs. Right now I seem to be on the downward swing, but I try not to put too much stock into a day or two and take a longer view.

During these past 9 months I've genuinely changed my lifestyle and my diet to the point that I don't even think of it as depriving myself or "being on a diet" -- it's just part of me. I don't eat too many carbs and I am an exercise fanatic.

So although I get a little discouraged at not hitting the 160-165 milestone, I try to put that out of my head and just keep going, knowing that I am SO much better off than I ever could have imagined on 10/31/15.

Today, for example, I stopped in at a clothing store and spent about an hour trying on new clothes. I could never have imagined having a size 30-32 waist in a million years. (I was a size 44 waist this time last year.) I didn't buy anything, but it gave me such a boost just to see how much progress I've made.

Guess I'm saying: don't pay too much attention to the scale. Just keep doing the things that have gotten you this far and don't worry -- the rest will come off in time.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

It's been normal for me to struggle like that, but I am a compulsive eater so I might do well for a while then go off the rails and have to deal with the fallout. You can look at my weight loss graphs in this post to see what I mean.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!