MapMyFitness

I use MapMyFitness to track all of my bike rides walking and other activity with the GPS feature. Does anyone else use this app? I need some friends on there!! Please add me! Same username (abitofbliss)

Also, anyone using MapMyFitness - Are you able to sync your workouts to MFP? I've tried and I cannot seem to get it to work. There is a huge difference in the amount of calories burned between apps. It's such a large difference I am not sure which to reference.

For instance yesterday:
Biked 86 total minutes
Walked 129 total minutes (Had to walk 5 miles after getting a flat on my bike)

MFP: 1339 calories burned
MMF: 1888 calories burned
549 calorie difference

Replies

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    MFP uses a different logirythem than Map My Fill_In_The_Blank That is why you're getting two different readings.

Personally I found all of the MMF apps [MapMyWalk, MapMyRun, MapMyRide. MapMyFitness] to grossly over estimate my calories burned.

If you're wanting to stay in the MFP world I would recommend Endomondo. It's a nice, clean, polished app.

And if you don't mind venturing out of the MFP world I would recommend Strava. It's probably the most popular among endurance sports enthusiast.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Thank you! @CincyNeid for the tips. I've looked at Strava and was a little intimidated by the athletes on there. I'm the definition of a beginner.

Thanks again!
  • CincyNeid
    We all start out as beginners. Don't let that scare you. You're doing it against yourself. Not them..... ;)
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Thank you! @CincyNeid for the tips. I've looked at Strava and was a little intimidated by the athletes on there. I'm the definition of a beginner.

Thanks again!

Strava can be whatever you want it to be. It's a great app for all levels. Good luck!

BTW, it also can sync with MFP.
  • abitofbliss
    Thank you! @singletrackmtbr

Do you think Strava's calories burned is more accurate? I'd really like to sync my fitness app with MFP then enter it. I tend to under log my exercise in MFP. For instance, I take three 15min walks a day on my breaks.. 45 mins but I only log it as 30mins. I don't really have a specific reason why.. I guess just to give myself some hidden victory?

I'm thinking I need to just break up with MapMyFitness and move onto bigger and better apps! Haha
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I use MMF for all my workouts and activity along with my tracker.

I have MMF sync'd to my tracker but not here....
    My tracker is sync'd here.

I do find MMF a bit higher than I expected....for example if I do a 14min mile I burn 102-105 calories. If I do a 16min mile I do 100 calories so for 3 miles walking it's about 308 calories....seems high to me.

But my tracker gave me 368...(that includes regular burns too)

so I leave it.

I will see if I can find you on mmf.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    invite sent
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member

Do you think Strava's calories burned is more accurate? I'd really like to sync my fitness app with MFP then enter it. I tend to under log my exercise in MFP. For instance, I take three 15min walks a day on my breaks.. 45 mins but I only log it as 30mins. I don't really have a specific reason why.. I guess just to give myself some hidden victory?

I'm thinking I need to just break up with MapMyFitness and move onto bigger and better apps! Haha

I personally don't think strava is more accurate than using a HRM, if that's your question. I personally don't sync Strava with MFP, as I let my Garmin do all the work.
  • abitofbliss
    @SezxyStef Thanks for the add!

@singletrackmtbr - Thanks for the info. I dont have a HRM. I did get the Fitbit charge but returned it quickly just because I couldn't really afford it and I find the whole idea of "steps" to be phony.
  • CincyNeid

I do think Strava is more accurate that MMF. Yes. But I'm in the Same boat as @singletrackmtbr, I do not have my Strava connected to my MFP account. I let Garmin Connect do all the work.

Personally I have my Garmin push my data to Strava, Under Armour Record, Training Peaks, Endomondo and Ride With GPS. [I have friends who use each and I like to see what everyone is doing and let them see what I'm doing]

Coming from the Cycling world. Strava, GC,TP, RwG all link up and are in the same ball park. UAR is way out in left field, and not even sure there is a game going on. Endomondo is somewhere in right field chasing Butterflies .....

As far as tracking HR w/ Strava that will require a subscription to their premium service. And if you're wanting an inexpensive but really nice HRM look at the Wahoo Tickr line. It's pretty much on point. I have the Tickr Run and love it.
  • abitofbliss
    Awesome information! Thanks!
  • firmgirl
    firmgirl Posts: 6 Member
    I just started using MapMyFitness yesterday and today (riding bike), and syncing it to MyFitnessPal. Thanks for the post about how far off the calories may be. I went online to bicycling.com where they have a cycling calculator, to see if I could get a more accurate estimate (not sure how good that is either!). I also went and set my bike tire size in MMF...so I'll try tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. ...Also downloaded Endomondo and Strava, thanks for the tips!
  • abitofbliss
    @firmgirl - Thanks for the add! Looks like you and I can be biking buddies!
  • CincyNeid
    If you're looking to add friends on Strava my link is https://www.strava.com/athletes/6130227