First time trying 3 miles. 27 1/2 minutes

Options
golferd
golferd Posts: 400 Member
so, I just started running within the past couple of weeks. I did p90x and currently doing a second round, but I am running on non lift days. So, the other day did two miles and felt good about it. Today I pushed and did 3 miles in 27 1/2 minutes. I am excited because I hear sub 30 min is great. Considering I had 2 1/2 minutes to spare on only my second week of running I think that is very good. I wish I could lose weight; running has to be faster without this extra weight. My weight has not changed since march:(

Next challenge I guess is to break 25 minutes.

Replies

• ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Ummmm, that's pretty much amazing! Good job! Yeah, I can run a sub-30 5k (3.1mi) but it's not a cakewalk for me...short legs >.<

My weight hasn't moved (+/- 2lbs) for the last 2 months. I feeeeeel where you're coming from. But even if you can't see or measure change, it's happening regardless. Your body is getting stronger. Just look at your run time. :-)
  • RatBoyGL
    RatBoyGL Posts: 100
    Options
    Well, your run time was good enough to pass the Marine Corps' running test.

So I would be proud of that.

(3 miles, 28 minute max to pass.)
  • travishein
    travishein Posts: 78
    Options
    holly crap. thats amazing time. i've been running for 2 years now and have only achieved the 10 minute mile.

nice work.!!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Dude, that's great!

I've started running again (training for a half marathon in August) and I love it.

Some advice - take it easy. Now that we've lost weight, there's a tendency to run around like a teenager with his first…well, you know! Get a copy of a training program over at runnersworld.com, for example, and make sure you build up your distance slowly. Everything I read talks about no more increasing distance no more than 10% per week.

I also snagged a book from Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1594867437

I bought a used copy so it was only $5 and was delivered to my door since I use Amazon Prime. Great learning resource.

Congrats on the run!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    way to go!
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • AmyS618
    AmyS618 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I noticed I finally started losing weight from running when I started increasing distance, rather than speed.
  • abeautifulvoice
    Options
    Amazing!!
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've recently started running, and just have started hitting 3 miles (5K) in 40 minutes. So yeah, you're 10 minutes ahead!!! grrr :wink:
  • silvafan
    silvafan Posts: 147
    Options
    That is an excellent time! Congrats!
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Great accomplishment!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!