NSV - Severe Lower Back Pain But I'm 6lbs down :)

Options
Gallen88
Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member
I totally have to share this victory. It may not seem like much to most but i have been STRUGGLING since MARCH to reach my weight loss goals. 210 is the biggest i have ever been in my adult life.

Recently, I have been having extremely bad lower back pain and it's been very trying to say the least. I have always had back problems because I'm top heavy but lately it's been worst than it's ever been.

One morning I woke up and I could not get out of the bed my back was hurting so bad. 2 days later I had to go to the doctor and get some muscle relaxers and naproxen. Once i ran out I just started taking aleve

So what have I been doing?

-Walking on an incline on the treadmill at the gym with a weighted vest on. I do incline intervals
- Squatting on the squat rack and working on the machines

I never go without my back brace and I if i have it on my i put my corset on as well. I take an aleve and then I go at it at the gym

I figured the least I could do was walk. Before my back started troubling me like this I had gotten down to 205. Few weeks later, I stepped back on the scale and I'm back up to 209

Today? I step on the scale and im 202.

I said all this to say that EVERYTIME i start to get into my workout, something with my body goes wrong. Running, I started to develop plantar fasciitis, weight lifting, i sprang a muscle in my arm, living life and minding my own business? My back gives out on me because I'm too top heavy and NOT exercising makes it worse.

I said all of this to say that I am pushing through a time in my life where usually I would just lay down and eat cookie but i told myself "You can at least walk because you have a back brace"

This is what a small step has done for me. I fully plan to make it out of the 200 club by July!

Replies

• timmybitey
    timmybitey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I got a breast reduction about 3 years ago! U should too! Helps back big time!
  • Gallen88
    Options
    timmybitey wrote: »
    I got a breast reduction about 3 years ago! U should too! Helps back big time!

It's def in the plan but in the meantime I'm just managing it
  • liberalchick
    liberalchick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor and have tests done. The fact that you need a brace or corset all the time is an indicator of disc problems. I've had two surgeries myself and learned the hard way to only take advice from doctors. People mean well but when it comes down to it trainers, therapists, and friends have not been to medical school and are not qualified to help you.

Being top heavy is not causing this kind of lower back pain. There is nothing wrong with just walking for exercise if that is all you can do without hurting yourself right now.

Most likely a doctor will send you for MRI's to get started and get a look at what is going on. You may need physical therapy for a while. Be sure to let your doctors office know what the therapist has you do. I have permanent damage because of a therapist who decided to try a different plan than I needed because she thought she could reverse my problem.

• Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I love the fight in you @Gallen88. With mindsets like this and flames so bright, things are possible!

Shine on you diamond <3
  • ShellyakaLady
    ShellyakaLady Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    @ Gallen88, 1st allow me to Congratulate you for being so Determined and Ready for Change!!! You are making it happen for you and that you should be very proud of. I have lower back pains myself but it comes from me sitting all day @ work. I've come to find out that crunches, sit-ups, planks and (everything that consist of building the core really helps me). I pray God will continue to see you thru and trust your change for a better life is real and it will be here before you know. Continue to move, pray and keep God 1st - everything else will fall into place.
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking plenty of water. Your kidneys can cause back pain.
  • Gallen88
    Options
    jswigart wrote: »
    Are you drinking plenty of water. Your kidneys can cause back pain.

Yes plenty water. It's really all I drink even with meals
  • Gallen88
    Options
    You need to see a doctor and have tests done. The fact that you need a brace or corset all the time is an indicator of disc problems. I've had two surgeries myself and learned the hard way to only take advice from doctors. People mean well but when it comes down to it trainers, therapists, and friends have not been to medical school and are not qualified to help you.

Being top heavy is not causing this kind of lower back pain. There is nothing wrong with just walking for exercise if that is all you can do without hurting yourself right now.

Most likely a doctor will send you for MRI's to get started and get a look at what is going on. You may need physical therapy for a while. Be sure to let your doctors office know what the therapist has you do. I have permanent damage because of a therapist who decided to try a different plan than I needed because she thought she could reverse my problem.

I def appreciate your advice but it's def because I'm top heavy. I have always had this issue but gaining weight as made it worse. Tons of heavy chest women suffer with jt
  • Cereal_Snacker
    Cereal_Snacker Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yoga has really helped relieve my back pain and improve my posture.
  • Mansuklal
    Mansuklal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issue. But I got relieve naturally using dynamic stretching. If you are still suffering you can try here http://www.backfocus.com.au/

Hope this help you anyways.
  • dcraven16
    dcraven16 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Back pain was actually what started me on my fitness journey! Have you thought about a chiropractor? Mine has literately changed my life, and my story sounds very similar. Also, stretching has been very helpful for me as well. Great job on your weight loss so far!
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    dcraven16 wrote: »
    Back pain was actually what started me on my fitness journey! Have you thought about a chiropractor? Mine has literately changed my life, and my story sounds very similar. Also, stretching has been very helpful for me as well. Great job on your weight loss so far!

This x100
    I was skeptical but went to a good chiropractor and it changed my life. I have no aches or pains anywhere anymore. Also large busted with 32H
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    OP - I was where you were last year. At my heaviest. Chronic back pain. Turns out after two CT scans I had to prolapsed discs.
    After physio and weight lost (+/- 48 lbs) back pain has disappeared. You can do this!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!