Maintaining in summer months....hardest time of the year?

Options
For the second year in a row this is proving to be the toughest time of the year to maintain as I'm up a couple lbs. More BBQ, ice cream, beer and family dinners/vacations. I know I'll get back on track once fall is here is over but really shows you can't out exercise a bad diet as I've been continuing lots of exercise.... But tough to keep up to the denser foods and numerous family events!

Anyone else find this time of year tough? Even though you keep up the fitness routine?

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    Nope, summer is easy with lighter foods and lost of fruit and veggies. Good time of the year to get hydrated too. I don't drink beer and ice cream is not something that I crave either so that helps.

On the other hand and to be very honest, I live in S.California, so we don't have harsh winters that can affect much the way we eat.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It's the exact opposite for me. Summer is full of lighter foods and options (fruits, salads, grilled meats, vegetables) and the fall/winter is full of heavier, richer foods that go with all the feasting holidays (Thanksgiving, Xmas, New Years, Superbowl parties, etc).

I started my "diet" last year a week before Thanksgiving. Trust me, summer is much easier...

Time of year doesn't matter. There's always "something": a party, vacation, holiday, distraction, family issue, crisis, work issue... something. Just have a plan and stay the course. If you get off track, just log it and move on. It happens. Don't let the time of year be a crutch or an excuse. We all make choices. Make yours count! It's about moderation, not deprivation.

Wow quite the opposite of my experience! Thanks for the input. We see family an do celebrations much more in summer vs typical fall/winter time. I agree with not making excuses. This time of year seems to be more temptations than the other 3 seasons.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling more now, but not because of summer events/food. It's the heat that is seeming to sap my energy somehow. Being in the a/c helps but I still feel lethargic when the humidity gets bad. It's surprising me because I thought I would have loads more energy but it's proving to be opposite.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    yea the heat makes me feel soooo tired and lazy but all the lighter foods are nice

i do eat a lot of ice cream though but i fit it into the day
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Time of year doesn't matter. There's always "something": a party, vacation, holiday, distraction, family issue, crisis, work issue... something. Just have a plan and stay the course. If you get off track, just log it and move on. It happens. Don't let the time of year be a crutch or an excuse. We all make choices. Make yours count! It's about moderation, not deprivation.

This is always true. It is always something, especially if you try to have any kind of social life. So what I try to do is remember it's only one DAY, or one MEAL, not a "season". So I'm below maintenance for the days before or after a big weekend or event, and it helps keep me on goal overall.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm also struggling. Half-heartedly struggling, that is. I'm very active - much more active - but I'm also way more relaxed and spontaneous with my food choices. Sticking to my planned calories is where my discipline is falling apart.

Work keeps me somewhat honest because I'm in a routine, pre-packing lunch and snacks. But Im finding myself getting happily talked into an afternoon treat - frozen yogurt, a little something here or there, a drink on a patio.

I've decided it's a "faux bulk." I'm eating slightly over maintenance (I think - hard to tell with water retention, which I always get in the summer), and killing it with my workouts. I'll focus on leaning out a few pounds in the fall.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    In the past I was fine in the summer. Now I suck.
  • AmyWebb2
    AmyWebb2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Oh, I understand about summer. I am a teacher and I'm trying so hard not to eat bad foods. I exercise too, but I find I am not as busy and food calls to me. I like the structure of teaching so I don't eat, but geez, I wish summer was easier.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    My weight tends to creep up in the summer. I am home more, tend to snack more. I also drink more in the evenings, since I don't have to go to work the next day.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I find visiting with family hard this time of year too. The eating habits are a huge contrast to mine so there are a lot of triggering and tempting foods around!

It's amazing how tough it is to keep on point when out of the usual environment/routine.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    It seems easier for me to lose weight or maintain in the summer because theres so many more opportunities to be active. For me, I still do my usual workout on the elliptical, but some days I also get an evening walk or bike ride in (evenings are best for temperature!)
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Yep, summer is hardest on me too. Barbecues, ice cream, vacation, fairs, festivals, etc.

In fall and winter is easy. I don't really celebrate the holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving) so those are just regular days for me. And there's nothing else to do around here when there's eight feet of snow on the ground anyway lol.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Spring and fall are the easiest - perfect temps for being active. Heat in the summer puts a damper on rigorous activity but hot also kills my appetite when I am active. Too many rich comfort foods are associated with winter and the snow, ice and cold slow things down.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Does hot weather make water retention worse?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    For me Summer is easiest to lose weight, lots of salad, fruit and water. Winter usually means more time spent inside with yummy comfort foods, and i drink way more milky cups of tea and coffee and hardly any water. I don't have a social life lol which does make things a lot easier :lol:
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    Does hot weather make water retention worse?

Yep. I have to wear my watch 2 holes looser when it's hot, and i get sock indent marks on my legs which i don't get in winter.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Summer is easier for me too because I can get out and do so much more.

It's light longer and warm in the evenings and on weekends, so my husband and I go for longer bicycle rides and walks and hikes and things.

We're more inclined to do casual "triathlon-like" things on weekends in the summer where we cycle somewhere, then swim or canoe, and then do a hike ... or something like that. We do long, long bicycle rides ... and long, long hikes. We'll spend entire days out exercising just because we like being out exercising in the fresh air. :)

As for events ... there is Christmas right in the middle of summer, so there are one or two events, but those are easily compensated for by getting out and being active. And there's usually lots of fresh fruit (cherries and mangoes!) and veggies to choose from at those events. I tend to lean toward a vegetarian diet at that time of year ... but not entirely, because I do like a bit of turkey. :grin:

As for the heat ... I love it! The heat energises me and I love being out in the sun. I'm actually having trouble with the summers where I currently live because they are just not long and hot enough.

The cold just drains me and makes me tired ... and makes me want to put on fuzzy pjs and curl up on the sofa.

• _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have to wear my watch 2 holes looser when it's hot, and i get sock indent marks on my legs which i don't get in winter.

I hate the indents! Sometimes I can get the seams of my yoga pants too.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't feel seasons make it more or less difficult to lose/maintain weight, but then my problem hasn't been the parties or even the party food in itself, but the a-social overeating of it, and I would gorge on ice cream etc. all year round.