Gym stares ?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Lots of good advice here.

IME men don't point and giggle, that's the provenance of little girls. But if they do, put on a smile at them, turn your music up and get on with it....make it clear you've seen them watching...maybe do a little shrug or whatever ....as soon as you make human contact, and are no longer an 'object' guys tend to chill

• DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    I felt the same way when I started. Just keep going and it will get better. You realise that no one is really that interested in other people, mostly just spacing out between sets.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    I mostly train at home with free weights. From time to time my husband and I will go to a commercial gym as an outing. When we're there, I like to use all the machines because it's kind of like going on all the rides at an amusement park because we don't have them at home. Many of them are a mystery to me and we do the same thing. We just don't care. The difference is that we have years of experience lifting that allows us that degree of comfort and lack of concern with what other people think. Once you've done it for a while, you'll likely feel the same.
  • bmb42
    bmb42 Posts: 19 Member
    To be honest, you're going to be uncomfortable. You're in a new element. People may or may not be looking at you, but who cares? You're there for the very same reason as they are - to better yourself. The only way you can become more comfortable is to keep going, and keep doing you. As many mentioned, put your headphones in and get to work. Congrats on losing weight already!! Keep it going. You've got this.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    when they stare - smile and wave B)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    edited July 2016
    I don't think I am being paranoid sometimes they point and giggle to their buddies. It's always the dudes . Maybe I should just buy a weight bar to use at home .

Ignore them. If they're so immature that they point and giggle you shouldn't value their opinion in the slightest. You need to make a decision as to what is more important.....the opinions of some little douchecanoes or your fitness.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
  • pompeyjosh1990
    pompeyjosh1990 Posts: 90 Member
    to be honest I don't think people mean too- I go to a really busy gym, so you can help look at something while your in the gym.....if they point then just stare back lol
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    I doubt people are pointing and laughing. And if they are, it says far more about their character than yours Put your headphones in, and get to work. Screw the rest.
  • modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    edited July 2016
    I'll tell you straight out that they're not looking at you. Gym rats are looking at themselves in the mirror (I'm just as guilty). If they are staring, don't give it any thought. You're there to get the work done. You gain nothing by shying away from your workout.

If you are really feeling that uncomfortable in the gym, hire a PT for a day to take you around the equipment. Doing that just once will make you feel like you own the place
  • gjw1911
    gjw1911 Posts: 31 Member
    Most likely & realistically no one is deliberately staring at you. Most of the people there are so absorbed in themselves (myself included) they are not paying attention to you. I was self-conscious when I started, just realize they don't know you, you don't know them, and and what they think doesn't matter.
    I'm sure in between my sets people might think I am staring, but in reality I staring blankly in to space counting to 30 or 60 to start my next set.
    Put your ear bubs in, turn the music up and pretend you are by yourself.
  • cnavarro002
    cnavarro002 Posts: 235 Member
    If they are treating you that way, grow thicker skin and remember you are there for YOU, not them. Don't let them get in your way of your goals.
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    When I used to go to a gym, I'd stare at people too. I wouldn't realize it though. I'd just be zoned out and then I'd realize I was staring at someone and check myself. I'm kinda awkward like Tina Belcher though.
  • eandasher
    eandasher Posts: 25 Member
    I would say from my experiences at the gym... its probably 35% checking themselves out in the mirror, 30% them checking the machine you are using out (to see if its free), 20% them just seeing how much you are lifting to compare themselves too, 20% them checking you out :wink: 5% people just zoning out. Just smile, and keep going for small victories at the gym. It takes time but within 1-2 years you'll be in your comfort zone, and you'll have so much more confidence. People check me out at the gym all the time. I've even had people snap pictures of me while I'm lifting :neutral: (Creepers) female creepers. I've done mostly what everyone else has suggested. Earbuds, focus more on my weight, look toward the ground or directly ahead, smile BIG SMILES for everyone :smiley: even while lifting. Make it a positive experience for you, I'll do little dances between sets and get in my zone now. The truth is 99.9% of these people you'll never see again in your life, even at the gym they are tourist give it 3,4,5,6,7 months they fall off and you'll still be there smiling :smile:
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Honestly, everyone you see at the gym was a beginner at one time in their journey, as well. If they've forgotten that enough to stare and judge you...that's obnoxious and insensitive. Do you. You're there trying to accomplish your goals. Ignore everything and everyone around you. If you see a friendly face, however, maybe ask if they can give you some tips. Doesn't hurt to make a lifting buddy. :smiley:
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Everyone has a learning curve.
    Just stick with it.
  • brigg9
    brigg9 Posts: 104 Member
    Usually I completely zone out and do my own thing in the gym. But on occasion when I see or acknowledge others, I'm usually thinking only positive thoughts - "Good for them!" or "He/She's new, good for them getting in here." You'd be surprised, most people are not judging you, yet alone cares what you're doing. You do you. Nobody will judge you for it.
  • LaMartian
    LaMartian Posts: 478 Member
    I make it a point to never make eye contact unless I am specifically trying to address someone (such as asking if a machine or bench is in use or if I would like to work in with them).