Is my calorie intake too low?

Hello MFP members! I believe that I am not eating enough and have been researching the signs of under eating. For the past few months I have tried to keep my daily intake to 1200 calories of healthy, non-processed, whole foods. I have a sedentary job but workout 6 days a week and burn an average of 300-400 calories per workout. However, I have hit a plateau and have been advised to increase my intake to achieve weight loss again. So, I tried this for a few weeks slowly creeping up to 1400 calories but did not like my results. I do not like the way my body looks after doing this and I feel "puggy." These past two weeks I have dropped back down to 1200 and feel very tired, lack energy, and am unable to tighten back up.

Any advice?!

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Opinion: 1,200 is too low especially if you exercise.
    You might not be eating the right foods. Go to settings and open your diary to the public. People really helped me. I was not getting enough protein or fiber. Too many chips with little nutrition.
  • kaet_nicole93
    kaet_nicole93 Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2016
    I have opened it to the public. Thank you for the advice! I hope when people see it they take in consideration that I also like to have a few cheats but stay within my calorie intake if possible. :wink: I definitely try to eat clean 80% or more of the time.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Take vitamins. Raising your calories means you will gain weight.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Pretty amazing diary. The only possible thing I can think of is you don't have a food scale.
    With one, this place rocks. Walmart for around $18. Otherwise, I'm stumped.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Take vitamins. Raising your calories means you will gain weight.

Raising calories does not always equal weight gain... If a person were in a 500 calorie deficit and they started eating 200 calories more a day, they are still in a deficit and will still lose weight.
  • kaet_nicole93
    I would be lost without my food scale! Sadly, that is not the issue because I use it just about 3-4 times a day to make sure I am accurate with logging the foods. Thank you for taking a look at the diary!
  • not_a_runner
    A few things that I haven't seen mentioned- Who advised you to increase your calories? How long has it been since you have seen a change on the scale? Have you noticed your clothes fitting better or measurements have changed?
    How close are you to your goal weight?
    There are many things that can go into making the scale appear that you have plateaued. Increasing calories, high sodium, TOM for women, change on bowel movements- can all mess with your scale weight but are only temporary.
  • kaet_nicole93
    A few things that I haven't seen mentioned- Who advised you to increase your calories? How long has it been since you have seen a change on the scale? Have you noticed your clothes fitting better or measurements have changed?
    How close are you to your goal weight?
    There are many things that can go into making the scale appear that you have plateaued. Increasing calories, high sodium, TOM for women, change on bowel movements- can all mess with your scale weight but are only temporary.

A nutritionist advised me to increase my daily calories to 1600 a day. I started to slowly make my way up from 1200 to 1400 by adding 50-100 calories per week. I did not notice the scale changing which I thought was good at first since I wasn't increasing weight with the added calories. However, I felt my body did not look as tight/tone as it had before starting and my clothes felt tighter than normal.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    Hello MFP members! I believe that I am not eating enough and have been researching the signs of under eating. For the past few months I have tried to keep my daily intake to 1200 calories of healthy, non-processed, whole foods. I have a sedentary job but workout 6 days a week and burn an average of 300-400 calories per workout. However, I have hit a plateau and have been advised to increase my intake to achieve weight loss again. So, I tried this for a few weeks slowly creeping up to 1400 calories but did not like my results. I do not like the way my body looks after doing this and I feel "puggy." These past two weeks I have dropped back down to 1200 and feel very tired, lack energy, and am unable to tighten back up.

Any advice?!

What are your stats?

Age, height, weight...
  • kaet_nicole93
    J72FIT wrote: »

Any advice?!

What are your stats?

Age, height, weight...

Age - 23 Height - 63 inches Weight - 140 lbs

Like I mentioned above, I work a sedentary job and exercise 6 days a week burning an average of 300-400 calories through cycling and resistance training.
  • not_a_runner
    How long has it been since your weight has changed?
  • lujako
    lujako Posts: 87 Member
    One thing i have started doing after reading a few of the "cups" vs "grams" posts here on MFP is to weigh everything. You listed "Canteloupe - Canteloupe, 1 cup" as 68 cals. Last night I weight "Cantalope - Fresh Cantalope, 200 gr" which I would bet is more than 1 cup but only logged 60 cals for that weight. I wonder if your not quite getting the calories you intend because of these type of differences.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    We're the same exact height and you have almost the same exact starting weight I did. I went from 139 pounds to 108 pounds. I can tell you right now that looking at your diary that you're most likely eating much more than you think. You say you have a food scale, but your diary really isn't reflecting that at all. Using your food scale 3 or 4 times a day isn't going to give you accuracy. I see a lot of measurements in cups or 1 egg, 1 slice, 1 bar, 1 medium apple, etc. On top of that, some of the entries are flat out off calorie wise.

For example, the "chicken :)" entry; 4 ounces of chicken is not 110 calories. Are you weighing your meat raw or cooked? Are you logging any oil or cooking spray you may be using to cook it? Protein bars are not always going to be the same gram weight as the package states and can be off by 30+ calories easily. When your gala apples are in gram weight, it's always 154 grams; that is highly unlikely. Do you weigh your peanut butter? It's easy to underestimate a tablespoon of peanut butter.

With your stats, you don't have a lot of room for error. A deficit can easily be wiped out. All of this is contingent upon how long it has been since you last lost weight. If it's been more than a few weeks, it's definitely the logging.
  • J72FIT

Any advice?!

What are your stats?

Age, height, weight...

Age - 23 Height - 63 inches Weight - 140 lbs

Like I mentioned above, I work a sedentary job and exercise 6 days a week burning an average of 300-400 calories through cycling and resistance training.

Forgot to ask, what's your goal weight?
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Something's not adding up. At your height and weight and activity level, your maintenance calories should be somewhere north of 1,500.
  • J72FIT
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Something's not adding up. At your height and weight and activity level, your maintenance calories should be somewhere north of 1,500.

That's what I'm getting too. I have her at about 1650 calories...
  • kaet_nicole93

So does this mean I would be maintaining at 1650 calories daily?
  • kaet_nicole93
    edited July 2016
    synacious wrote: »
    We're the same exact height and you have almost the same exact starting weight I did. I went from 139 pounds to 108 pounds. I can tell you right now that looking at your diary that you're most likely eating much more than you think. You say you have a food scale, but your diary really isn't reflecting that at all. Using your food scale 3 or 4 times a day isn't going to give you accuracy. I see a lot of measurements in cups or 1 egg, 1 slice, 1 bar, 1 medium apple, etc. On top of that, some of the entries are flat out off calorie wise.

For example, the "chicken :)" entry; 4 ounces of chicken is not 110 calories. Are you weighing your meat raw or cooked? Are you logging any oil or cooking spray you may be using to cook it? Protein bars are not always going to be the same gram weight as the package states and can be off by 30+ calories easily. When your gala apples are in gram weight, it's always 154 grams; that is highly unlikely. Do you weigh your peanut butter? It's easy to underestimate a tablespoon of peanut butter.

With your stats, you don't have a lot of room for error. A deficit can easily be wiped out. All of this is contingent upon how long it has been since you last lost weight. If it's been more than a few weeks, it's definitely the logging.

I will definitely do a better job at logging my food to see if that helps make a difference! I know everyone is different but do you mind sharing what has worked best for you?
  • J72FIT

What is your goal weight?
  • kaet_nicole93

What is your goal weight?

I would like to be down to 125 and then maintain from there.