Sprint Triathlon - Not prepared - Help

Options
This is what we know so far.

1. A sprint Triathlon is a 750m swim, a 20k cycle and a 5k run.
2. I've signed up to do a sprint triathlon.
3. I haven't been training for it.
4. I can do the swim, cycle and run ( slowly ) - that's not a problem.
5. I may struggle to carry them out one after the other.

The kicker - I have 16 days - Can I do anything to be even remotely prepared in such a condensed time scale?

And...GO.

Replies

• BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Cheers for that.
    I'm massively under prepared because I'm stepping in for a work colleague who's broken their leg and it's a charity thing.
    I suppose the fact that it's landed on me out of the blue could actually work in my favour. No time to over think or start worrying about times etc...
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    You're screwed....... :D

Pace yourself. None of the individual events are that arduous. As it's your first tri your only goal is to finish in a vertical position and with a smile on your face for the finish line photo. Relax and have fun.

^^ This is the bottom line, lol. No overthinking is needed.

As @BrianSharpe said, pacing is the key. Without much time to practice, if you overcook the swim and bike segments, you could be in for a LONG 5k slog. With that in mind and assuming you're reasonably fit, I'd say just have fun with it....and remember to smile for the photographer as you cross the finish line! Good luck.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    At least do one brick workout before the race, so you know what it feels like. I did my first duathalon this year. I could've survived without doing a brick workout, but it was nice to know what it feels like to do them back to back to back. Go slow, and have fun!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    16 days tho......

You gonna die
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Meh. I did my first tri overweight and pretty out of shape. I had just learned to swim properly in January. I survived. I can remember hitting the turn around on the bike and realizing I am going to finish. I knew I could finish the bike and I'd walk the run if I had to.
    I was doing about one bike, one run and one swim a week if that. And I don't even think I could run a whole 5k straight at that point.
    I finished. DFL (dead ********* last) - to be fair it was a very very small race. Less than 70 people.
    It won't be pretty but you can probably do it.

If you couldn't swim if be worried. That was my biggest concern.

My advice - if it's open water swim get yourself in the open water a couple times before hand. And do a brick like others suggested.

Good luck.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    train the transitions - get out of the pool and onto the bike, ride your bike then get off and run. This can be more difficult than you think, train these.

Go slow in the swim and on the bike so that you are able to run.

Good luck, vaya con dios. Have fun. If you are already a distance runner, and can swim well, you may be fine.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like a failure after reading this discussion. Thanks OP. :laugh:

Each single item isn't bad but together, you're gonna die.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    "you're screwed"
    "you're gonna die"

Well OP, at least you know we didn't sugar coat it, did we? ;)

Looking forward to reading your post race report. Go get 'em.

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Open water or pool swim? If open water is it a lake, river or ocean? Can you swim in open water?

Mainly my concern with first timers is the swimming (open water) aspect. Almost anyone can bike a little and run a little, but the swim is the place people run into trouble.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Open water or pool swim? If open water is it a lake, river or ocean? Can you swim in open water?

Mainly my concern with first timers is the swimming (open water) aspect. Almost anyone can bike a little and run a little, abut the swim is the place people run into trouble.

I agree.
    In Joe Friel's Your First Triathlon he recommends a pool swim for your first. I don't agree that is necessary. Where I am, there aren't any so everyone I know has started open water. But I do think it is absolutely imperative you get in the open water first.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Is it allowed to share the segments as part of a relay team?
  • hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just do the damn thing and take the next couple of days off to recover. LOL Good luck!
  • Djproulx
    Options

Mainly my concern with first timers is the swimming (open water) aspect. Almost anyone can bike a little and run a little, but the swim is the place people run into trouble.

OP, this is the "money" question. Since you've piqued our collective interest, could you share a bit about the swim course, and also your swimming background?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Agreed.

My first thought was open water swim. After that, practice your transitions a couple of times just so you know what to expect and are less apt to get flustered on race day.

It's a sprint distance so if you can bike a little and run a little then you should be fine with those. But swimming along side 100 other people gets a little frantic. Be prepared.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Only advice I have: Don't do anything too fast.

Over do it on anything before the run, and that run will be horrible.
    Over do it on the swim, the bike and the run will be torture.
  • kimrunsonplants
    kimrunsonplants Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    To potentially make it easier on your knee going from bike to run, keep the resistance low and cadence high (85-95 RPM) on the bike. That should also help reduce that jello-legs feeling going from bike to run as well. When you go from bike to run, you're going to feel as though you're moving really slowly because suddenly your lower body is weight bearing again. That feeling should pass after a while (I usually start to feel "normal" at around 2.5-3k into the run)

Smile, take it all in, and have fun--that's what really counts!
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys, much appreciated.