Weight loss struggle on Lexapro.

Options
Maybe posted about this before, but putting the question out there again anyway. I've been on Lexapro since last fall. My weight has gone up by at least 10 pounds. I've been very good about going to the gym, increased from going 3 days a week to 5 days a week and watching my calories. I can not lose a pound! Not even losing inches. This is getting so frustrating. Wondering if anybody else out there is on this type of medication and has had success with losing weight. My anxiety level has decreased so much by taking this medication, I just really don't want to try and switch to something else.

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Do you have a food scale? Are you logging every single bite? What are your total daily calories (goal).
    If you don't have a food scale, run to walmart or target and go get one for about $18.
    I opened my diary and people helped me. Ex: I needed more protein and more fiber (they really help me keep full). Plus, by having the diary open to the public, it kind of holds me accountable (really works).
    Opinion: 90% of weight loss is eating right and staying in calories. Exercise for health.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Taking vitamin D really helped me. Everyone is different. Has your doctor tested you? If not, ask your doctor.
    I take 1,000 iu during the most months of the year along with my daily multivitamin.
    https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/health-conditions/depression/
    My level was a measly 20. I don't know what it is now, because insurance won't pay unless it is medically necessary (now I'm ok). Back then, I told my regular doctor I felt depressed and insurance paid for it along with cholesterol test, etc.
  • Charlottegetfit2
    Charlottegetfit2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I take that position because this is the second time I've been on this medication in the last 15 years and both times I gained between 10 and 15 pounds. Did not increase my calorie intake and have always exercised. I know a couple of other people who have been on this medication and the same thing happened to them. But, it helps my anxiety tremendously so I do not want to switch to something else.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @rockyniki I have been on Lexapro for 5+ years now and have lost 30lbs since October and a total of 50+lbs since 2012. I will also add that I have hypothyroidism and PCOS, and have been able to achieve these results. The medication ITSELF does NOT cause weight gain. I have experienced both weight loss AND gain during my years on Lexapro, but never once blamed my medication or thought it was a result of taking my medication. You need to be very conscientious of your eating (weighing and logging accurately) as well as activity - if you are, then maybe there is another reason you are not losing (i.e. thyroid) that you should explore with your doctor.
  • Charlottegetfit2
    Options
    Everybody is different. Medications affect people differently. I am not the only one that has gained weight on this medication. I am very diligent about watching what I eat and working out 4-5 times per week.
  • shoofly435
    shoofly435 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    OP - antidepressant medication is known to have weight gain as a side effect. Do your research. I was prescribed a low dose AD for chronic pain and gained about 50 lbs after being the same normal weight my entire life.

It causes weight gain by increasing appetite and cravings, and slowing down metabolism.

The Dr. offered to prescribe Topimax to counter the weight gain. Maybe you could look into that. It seems like a miracle weight loss drug but the potential side effects are a bit scary. I just decided to go cold turkey and lost the weight in no time.

I maintained the loss no problem until I was prescribed something else in the same classification (stupid me I didn't Google). Well the same thing happened weight wise, and so I stopped it. Only this time it's not coming off so fast - that's why I'm here and have lost 15 lbs in 41days, not trying too hard. On that AD I was a gym rat and food weighing Nazi and only gained weight never lost.

The weight gain side effect is not completely understood by science, but it's real, esp the metabolism slowing part. There's a lot of research out there. I ultimately found something that is weight neutral, but it's old - from the 1950s probably most doctors haven't heard of it. It's called Trifloroperazine. In low doses it was originally prescribed for anxiety - it also works for pain. In high doses it's used to treat schizophrenia. Go figure. Hope this helps.
  • Charlottegetfit2
    Options
    @shoofly435. Thank you so much for this information and undestanding and AGREEING that these meds CAN cause weight gain. There are many Web sites that state issues with weight gain on these types of medications. Everybody is different and everybody reacts differently to medications. I just have to keep fighting this to the best of my ability for now.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I also take a low dose of lexapro, and I haven't noticed it influencing my weight in either direction. If I gain or maintain, it's because I'm being sloppy with calories, and doesn't seem to have any correlation to the meds. If you think you are having that side effect, I would contact your doctor and discuss it.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    It is well known that certain chemicals effect people differently. It is human nature to draw our conclusions based upon what we see and experience but our perception could be very different from someone elses. Maybe the meds do cause her to gain weight. Depression/anxiety meds are typically only a bandaid on the symptoms. Many of the hormones that control or are involved with metabolism are anti depressants or anti anxiety by nature. Maybe you should visit your doc and have proper hormone testing done.
  • Charlottegetfit2
    Options
    I do have my yearly apt In a couple months so I will definitely talk to her at that time and in the meantime, I will keep up the good fight:)
  • hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've been on Lexapro for a few years and have both lost and gained weight while on it. It may make it slightly more difficult to lose weight, but it's certainly possible. I've lost 17lbs just in the last month. (Before anyone freaks out, I've got a lot of weight to lose so 17lbs in a month is perfectly normal) I'd rather have to work a little harder to lose weight than be a nervous wreck all the time by going off it. Good luck!
  • spiritlevel9
    spiritlevel9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am inclined to agree with PeachyPlum that the anxiety may have caused weight to stay off or you to lose easily. With the anxiety in check perhaps you need to lower your daily intake to get the same results. I always lose weight during very stressful periods. Even when eating the same amount probably due to being twitchy and fidgety.

I once started to take Pizotifen to prevent migraine and the weight piled on. It was stated as a side effect due to increased appetite. I was eating more and didn't really care (also a side effect) I now take propanolol and I don't think it causes weight gain but it probably keeps my stress levels in check and I do find it a bit harder to lose than I used to. i make sure I log when I am tackling a few pounds gain as estimating never seems to get results. I also weigh everything and if I don't lose for a couple of weeks, I lower my daily intake if it is within the recommended amount.
  • Charlottegetfit2
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    rockyniki wrote: »
    Everybody is different. Medications affect people differently. I am not the only one that has gained weight on this medication. I am very diligent about watching what I eat and working out 4-5 times per week.

you are clearly adamant about that so then why are you asking for advice? maybe you should speak to your doctor instead of an internet forum.

It's not that I was asking for "advice". My question was if anyone else was experiencing problems trying to lose wait on this medication!!!
  • Haught2015
    Haught2015 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I take Lexapro for Anxiety and I have lost 18 pounds so far. I think it depends on the person and how they react to the med. Good Luck :)
  • Charlottegetfit2
    Options
    @susieq52082 Thank you. I just know the effects it has on my body, but I'm going to continue to fight it tooth and nail:)