Growing Up Black...Eating

Options

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    @RoseTheWarrior nailed it on the head. We are almost universally far less active than we once we're as a society, yet our family traditions support the manual labor lifestyle of previous generations.

My dad and his dad and all his brothers dug ditches. My mom grew up on a family farm.. All of my great grandparents were farmers. Their parents were farmers and peasant laborers. They all worked very long hard hours and required a lot of calories. The social adjustment regarding food was harder for my generation than the actual lifestyle change to less manual labor.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    1. They had a program on Howard University TV about southern cooking and how it is going to kill you. Not only are people eating nutrition-less food, they are eating way too much of it. I've eaten right this month (meat, veggies, fruit and no grains, sugar, flour, potatoes, oil) and lost 5 pounds. It's like watching the weight fall of my pear shaped hips and thighs. 2. You have to decide if you want your health or someone's approval. Go for health! 3. Before I go to a family fest or Thanksgiving type dinner, I posted what I was going to eat to see how much that "pecan pie" cost me in carbs. It was worth it because I only eat it once a year. Also, because I'm the only one who eats it I get it at the church bazaar where I can purchase one piece and don't have to eat the whole pie. You have to be smart about these things.
  • caroldavison332
    Options
    HUTV "Is there hope for soul food junkies?" and "Is soul food a sacrament or a sin?"
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    NOW I'M CRAVING BISCUITS AND GRAVY DAMNIT.
  • caroldavison332
    Options
    what happened to my posts about Howard TV's show on soul food?
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    what happened to my posts about Howard TV's show on soul food?

It's there, I can see it.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Maintaining now and not much has changed for me in that area. I still eat my meats and cornbread/biscuit. The side just happens to be salad, greens, potato versus mac & cheese and all the other high calorie stuff. I have to have my cornbread/biscuit though if not 2 or 3 :)
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    This post reminds me of when I used to visit my sister in law, who is black. Holidays and birthdays especially - SO MUCH FOOD. However, she is fit and trim - although the family on her side is quite heavy. She seems to have escaped it, which I attribute to her being a fitness freak :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Shana67 wrote: »
    This post reminds me of when I used to visit my sister in law, who is black. Holidays and birthdays especially - SO MUCH FOOD. However, she is fit and trim - although the family on her side is quite heavy. She seems to have escaped it, which I attribute to her being a fitness freak :)

Sounds like my family and I. I used to be among them in the fatty department, but now I stick out like a sore thumb.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Definitely a southern way of eating. My parents are both from Louisiana. I remember visiting family friends who were white and ate the same. We ate this exact way when I was growing up. I didn't gain the unwanted weight until after having kids and weight was never an issue in my family. I do know this is why I rarely eat good ol southern or cajun/creole food. Had more than my share growing up. When the craving kicks in I can get down in the kitchen on the menu tho lol.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    My family cooked a lot too. And was adamant about cleaning our plates! About carbs though, it's not about the carbs: http://www.forksoverknives.com/obesity-its-not-about-the-carbs/
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Definitely a southern way of eating. My parents are both from Louisiana. I remember visiting family friends who were white and ate the same. We ate this exact way when I was growing up. I didn't gain the unwanted weight until after having kids and weight was never an issue in my family. I do know this is why I rarely eat good ol southern or cajun/creole food. Had more than my share growing up. When the craving kicks in I can get down in the kitchen on the menu tho lol.

Dammit, now I want some Gumbo. Gonna have to try it over cauliflower rice.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    You and me both @Gallowmere1984
  • fitgirldc
    fitgirldc Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating "soul food" in NJ but then I grew up and prepared more balanced meals for my children. DH was born and raised in the south, and has a difficult time letting go of bad habits (all of his immediate family is overweight/obese). I didn't realize how uneducated he is about food. Of course I have tried to teach him how to read and understand labels and such. But, he loves to eat comfort food and hates to exercise. I even try to prepare a healthier version I find online and he hates it before he eats it so, he eats what he eats and I eat what I eat.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    fitgirldc wrote: »
    I grew up eating "soul food" in NJ but then I grew up and prepared more balanced meals for my children. DH was born and raised in the south, and has a difficult time letting go of bad habits (all of his immediate family is overweight/obese). I didn't realize how uneducated he is about food. Of course I have tried to teach him how to read and understand labels and such. But, he loves to eat comfort food and hates to exercise. I even try to prepare a healthier version I find online and he hates it before he eats it so, he eats what he eats and I eat what I eat.

Here's a hint: don't tell him what's in it before he eats it. I've gotten friends of mine eating some interesting stuff, just by letting them assume it's their normal type of food.
  • fitgirldc
    fitgirldc Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    fitgirldc wrote: »

Here's a hint: don't tell him what's in it before he eats it. I've gotten friends of mine eating some interesting stuff, just by letting them assume it's their normal type of food.

Thanks! I will have to try it but the first thing he says is, " oh hell naw you got that off the internet didn't you?" LOL!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Just pick a random cookbook that you know he'd be cool with, and tell him you found it in there. You could always print it out and cut it to fit the book, so you're not technically lying. ;)