Anyone else found MFP goals and lbs lost to be way off?

MFP seems to think I have a ridiculously low TDEE or something, because when I am eating 500 calories below my TDEE (calculated on another site) a day MFP seems to think I'll only lose 2lbs every 5 weeks. When actually I should be and do lose on average 1lb per week.

Anyone else had this probably with MFP? Have a problem with the goals as well, tell it I want to lose 1lb a week and it tells me how much to eat to lose 0.4lbs in 6 weeks. Doesn't work at all.

Love this site for the food logging as it's easy to use. But the rest of it has been nothing but hassle or completely wrong for me.

Replies

• nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Mfp goes by the NEAT method and so doesn't include exercise calories, you have to add them in manually
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Yup, MFP uses NEAT rather than TDEE. When I eat some, but not all, of my exercise calories, I lose as expected.
  • ninjachicken4000
    ninjachicken4000 Posts: 26 Member
    I'd never heard of NEAT before, if that basically basal metabolic rate? As in coma levels of calories? Because even at doing little to no exercise a day (except for basic daily activities such as showering, making food, walking 2 minutes to the bus stop etc) My calorific expenditure is still higher than what MFP is targeting (around 1600).
    Mfp goes by the NEAT method and so doesn't include exercise calories, you have to add them in manually

kshama2001 wrote: »
    Yup, MFP uses NEAT rather than TDEE. When I eat some, but not all, of my exercise calories, I lose as expected.
  • domgibson88
    domgibson88 Posts: 78 Member
    My MFP has been off lately.... The calculations are weird and don't add up..not sure what's going on
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    OP, read the stickies at the beginning of each forum.

For exercise calories, NEAT, EAT, TEF, TDEE, BMR, etc.. read this link.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • RoxieDawn
    edited July 2016
    Also OP, how tall are you? MFP will give you the bare minimum to loose weight. So if you put in 2 pounds, and it basically tells you that you will loose .5 or .6 pounds in five weeks, it is giving you the bare min recommended regardless if you chose 2, 1.5, or 1 pounds a week.

So to be clear if you want to loose 1 pounds and it still says .5 or .6 MFP will not allow you go under the 1200 recommended calories for woman, or 1500 calories for a man.

You can choose to use your own TDEE custom method and not use MFP NEAT setup if you choose.

The app is working as designed, if you have a particular issue with your account, all you have to do is log your issue with MFP Customer/Technical Support. They do respond to open support cases.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    you can also change your "activity level", which should help mfp be more accurate
  • ninjachicken4000
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    OP, read the stickies at the beginning of each forum.

For exercise calories, NEAT, EAT, TEF, TDEE, BMR, etc.. read this link.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

Thanks, I had not seen that. I'd always assumed MFP used TDEE.
  • ninjachicken4000
    Also OP, how tall are you? MFP will give you the bare minimum to loose weight. So if you put in 2 pounds, and it basically tells you that you will loose .5 or .6 pounds in five weeks, it is giving you the bare min recommended regardless if you chose 2, 1.5, or 1 pounds a week.

So to be clear if you want to loose 1 pounds and it still says .5 or .6 MFP will not allow you go under the 1200 recommended calories for woman, or 1500 calories for a man.

You can choose to use your own TDEE custom method and not use MFP NEAT setup if you choose.

The app is working as designed, if you have a particular issue with your account, all you have to do is log your issue with MFP Customer/Technical Support. They do respond to open support cases.

Thanks, it seems it not letting me choose 1lb per week because it uses NEAT and I'm not inputting exercise as I am sedentary. So basically NEAT is not a good system for me. But I don't mind so much, I was just wondering why this was happening. I'll still be using the food log as it's great.
  • RoxieDawn
    you can also change your "activity level", which should help mfp be more accurate

This is not entirely true, the activity level is still for calculating calories using NEAT. So for increasing the activity level, you would do this if you have a very active job, or very active outside of exercise. This activity level tells MFP that you work on your feet, highly active in general, etc.. but it still wants you enter exercise separately

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • RoxieDawn
    edited July 2016

Thanks, it seems it not letting me choose 1lb per week because it uses NEAT and I'm not inputting exercise as I am sedentary. So basically NEAT is not a good system for me. But I don't mind so much, I was just wondering why this was happening. I'll still be using the food log as it's great.

I am assuming that you are getting the min 1200 or 1500 (i do not know your gender) calorie goal?

You can use the custom setting and run your stats using for example the IIFYM calculator to get your TDEE, etc.. and set it up that way. There are many folks here on MFP that do not like to use NEAT at all.
  • ninjachicken4000

I am assuming that you are getting the min 1200 or 1500 (i do not know your gender) calorie goal?

You can use the custom setting and run your stats using for example the IIFYM calculator to get your TDEE, etc.. and set it up that way. There are many folks here on MFP that do not like to use NEAT at all.

I actually eat 1100 (and yes this is totally fine for me and my doctor has OK'd it, I am a very small in height woman so don't need as much) to lose 1lb per week as TDEE is 1600. But even at 1200 it doesn't show me losing weight at the rate it should because of the whole using NEAT system (which I don't understand at all why MFP uses NEAT and not TDEE)

Yeah I use my own method anyway of how much I should eat anyway and keep track of my weight, it would just be nice if MFP would let you use TDEE so it could be altogether in one place. Oh well.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    I was confused how this site worked as well. I just use TDEE and eat 80% of my TDEE calories which factors in my activity level. If I track my calories accurately it's spot on. Much easier to me to do that, but everyone is different.

I like using MFP to log exercise activity and stay motivated, but I've never used the diary or calorie side of the site.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited July 2016

I actually eat 1100 (and yes this is totally fine for me and my doctor has OK'd it, I am a very small in height woman so don't need as much) to lose 1lb per week as TDEE is 1600. But even at 1200 it doesn't show me losing weight at the rate it should because of the whole using NEAT system (which I don't understand at all why MFP uses NEAT and not TDEE)

Yeah I use my own method anyway of how much I should eat anyway and keep track of my weight, it would just be nice if MFP would let you use TDEE so it could be altogether in one place. Oh well.

MFP is giving you the bare min it will allow you to setup which for female that is 1200. I too am a very short woman and have the same issues with MFP only giving me ounces to loose.

MFP will let you setup 1 pound or 2 pounds in the entry field when setting up your stats and goals, but what it will NOT do is allow you to go below 1200 calories. SO regardless if you enter 2, 1.5 or 1 pounds, this too many pounds to loose for your height, weight, and age that puts you in what MFP call unhealthy weight loss (too aggressive) and will only allow you 1200 calories a day, so this is going to put you at the 1200 REQUIRED min it will allow to you eat. This is setup by design.

So with doctor approval and supervision using the TDEE for setting up a 1100 calorie goal is certainly fine.

edited to add: MFP will allow you to use TDEE method, this why the custom entry is available to all users. This allows a user to customize their goals and plan accordingly.
  • ninjachicken4000

MFP is giving you the bare min it will allow you to setup which for female that is 1200. I too am a very short woman and have the same issues with MFP only giving me ounces to loose.

MFP will let you setup 1 pound or 2 pounds in the entry fields when setting up your stats and goals, what it will NOT do is allow you to go below 1200 calories. SO regardless if you enter 2, 1.5 or 1 that is too many pounds that put you under the 1200 REQUIRED min it will allow to you eat. This is setup by design.

So with doctor approval and supervision using the TDEE for setting up an 1100 calorie goal is certainly fine.

Like I said, even if I'm inputting 1200 calories it is still projecting the wrong weight loss goals because it is using NEAT (so it thinks I'm burning way below what I am). NEAT is system I have never used that just seems like a complete hassle to me. TDEE is much better as it's all inclusive and no fuss.

I've just changed my activity level to very active (even though I'm sedentary) on here to more accurately represent my actual TDEE. So at least I can see somewhat of a normal weight loss goal, even if not perfect.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited July 2016

MFP will let you setup 1 pound or 2 pounds in the entry fields when setting up your stats and goals, what it will NOT do is allow you to go below 1200 calories. SO regardless if you enter 2, 1.5 or 1 that is too many pounds that put you under the 1200 REQUIRED min it will allow to you eat. This is setup by design.

So with doctor approval and supervision using the TDEE for setting up an 1100 calorie goal is certainly fine.

Like I said, even if I'm inputting 1200 calories it is still projecting the wrong weight loss goals because it is using NEAT (so it thinks I'm burning way below what I am). NEAT is system I have never used that just seems like a complete hassle to me. TDEE is much better as it's all inclusive and no fuss.

I've just changed my activity level to very active (even though I'm sedentary) on here to more accurately represent my actual TDEE. So at least I can see somewhat of a normal weight loss goal, even if not perfect.

OP, this is working as designed. I have tried to explain this and obviously failing miserably.. LOL

The weight loss goal it not wrong. It is correct. And MFP can use TDEE.. I am not sure what you wanting to have the software do that it already does. Weight loss is a numbers game, and MFP is not limiting the way you can figure the numbers for your goals.

The stickies at the very beginning of the forums gives you all the instructions on how to setup your account when you create your account.
  • ninjachicken4000
    edited July 2016

OP, this is working as designed. I have tried to explain this and obviously failing miserably.. LOL

The weight loss goal it not wrong. It is correct. And MFP can use TDEE.. I am not sure what you wanting to have the software do that it already does. Weight loss is a numbers game, and MFP is not limiting the way you can figure the numbers for your goals.

The stickies at the very beginning of the forums gives you all the instructions on how to setup your account when you create your account.

Yeah the software may be working as planned, but it is wrong for me because I don't use NEAT, never have. So it is not projecting my weight loss accurately, BECAUSE it is using NEAT and nothing else. Not sure how I can make that clearer? Not saying NEAT is wrong, saying I don't use it and so it is wrong for me as I'm not adding other calorie expenditure on top of NEAT because find that a ridiculous hassle and don't really get what I should be adding. Don't understand why TDEE is not the default, it is miles simpler than having to calculate 4 different things and add them all together

I've gone through all the setting and can't seem to find anything that will let me change it to TDEE rather than NEAT and can't find an explanation on the sticky's either.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    OP the reason MFP uses NEAT is so that an individual can calculate a calorie goal that would allow them to lose weight even if they do no exercise whatsoever. If a person does exercise, and they add those calories back in, the numbers should be similar to what you are calculating as a TDEE (which has exercise built in) minus a deficit.

You can set a custom goal which would be Your TDEE less 500 cals, and then if you log 1 calorie when you exercise, the estimates of weight loss should be similar.

Regardless, all of these are just estimates, no matter which one you choose, and the weight loss prediction is an estimate as well. The best solution is to just pick one method and stick with it, log your calories in as accurately as possible, track your calories out if you can, and then monitor the results over a period of time.
  • ninjachicken4000
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP the reason MFP uses NEAT is so that an individual can calculate a calorie goal that would allow them to lose weight even if they do no exercise whatsoever. If a person does exercise, and they add those calories back in, the numbers should be similar to what you are calculating as a TDEE (which has exercise built in) minus a deficit.

You can set a custom goal which would be Your TDEE less 500 cals, and then if you log 1 calorie when you exercise, the estimates of weight loss should be similar.

Regardless, all of these are just estimates, no matter which one you choose, and the weight loss prediction is an estimate as well. The best solution is to just pick one method and stick with it, log your calories in as accurately as possible, track your calories out if you can, and then monitor the results over a period of time.

That's the thing though. I do no exercise whatsoever yet my TDEE is still 1600 whereas my NEAT is apparently 1250 ish. And I know my TDEE is right because I lose weight at a steady 1lb a week by eating 500 less than it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited July 2016
    WinoGelato wrote: »

That's the thing though. I do no exercise whatsoever yet my TDEE is still 1600 whereas my NEAT is apparently 1250 ish. And I know my TDEE is right because I lose weight at a steady 1lb a week by eating 500 less than it.

Did you try putting in a goal in MFP of "maintain my current weight" with a sedentary activity level? What number does that give you? Because if you do zero exercise, then your NEAT and your TDEE would be very similar.

The 1250 that MFP is giving you is your calorie target at a deficit goal of 1 lb/week, right? If that's the case, MFP estimates your non exercise maintenance cals to be 1750. If you truly do no exercise, that means MFP thinks your TDEE is 1750 and higher than what you've calculated.