Looking for easy, healthy meal ideas

Options
fmbarbuto
fmbarbuto Posts: 131 Member
Hello everyone! Looking to get any info (recipies, webites,etc) about easy, healthy meal ideas. I work full time and and while I do love to cook, I get stuck eating the same things over and over. Variety is the spice of life right? Any ideas are welcome! Oh and one more thing - any kid friendly, healthy ideas welcome as well!

Thanks for any input!! :smile:

Replies

• Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Stir fry

Try this... Get some stew meat. Marinate it with spices (i use pepper, garlic, ginger and crushed red pepper) and soy sauce for about 30 mintes.

Cook the meat on high and when its almost done, add in some sesamee seeds.

Put it to the side.

Put in fresh vegables into the wok, cook on high heat for about 15 minues. Add the meat back to it. Only 300 calories per serving and its SOOOO healthy! I eat it for breakfast and lunch :)
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    One of my favs to make with my kids is homemade chicken fajita pizza.

I buy whole wheat thin crust pizza crust, I use deli salsa (not the canned or jarred stuff) as the sauce with some guacamole, I roast some chicken and shred it (you can buy the already cooked chicken peices if you are pressed for time) and top with skim milk low fat mozza shredded cheese. it is fun and easy and tastes great. I even buy some fat free sour cream for dipping!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Butternut Squash and Lentil Casserole

Ok, this is one of my absolute favourites. It has a great balance of protein to carbs, and is low in fat and - even better - low in calories. I should add that I lost weight through a combination of educating myself about nutrition and the phenomenon of calorie counting. The way our body works is far too complicated to ignorantly assume that even accurate calorie counting is a sure-fire method of ensuring that we lose weight, but it is a fantastic guideline to ensure you are eating at a defecit.
    My daughter found this recipe on CC and it sounded crazy! Butternut squash, garlic and prunes!? But she was curious so had to try it. Sure enough, with a little tweaking, it was a taste-bud sensation!

Butternut Squash and Lentil Casserole
    Serves: 6
    500g Butternut Squash
    1 1/2 cups green lentils
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    3 cloves garlic
    3g thyme
    400g tomatoes, tinned
    100g dried cranberries/or prunes
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 onion
    1 chicken stock cube
    400 ml water

Boil the lentils in the chicken stock cube and water for 1 hour.
    Roast the squash in chunks in the oven for 30 mins.
    Warm the oil and add finely chopped garlic and coarsley chopped onion.
    Add the squash and any fluids which may have come off during roasting.
    Drain the lentils, reserving the stock and adding it to the pan.
    When the squash begings to break up a little, add the lentils and tin of tomatoes.
    Simmer for 20 mins then add cinnamon,nutmeg, thyme & cranberries.
    Mix well and leave to simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until the squash has almost completely broken down and the sauce has thickened.

227 calories per serving, 0.2g F, 0.0g SF, 44.2g C, 6.9g S, 10.1g Fb, 11.9g P

This freezes well and refridgerates for up to 3 days. I know the combination of flavours sounds crazy, I was skeptical too, but it really tastes delicious! I eat it on its own, its quite a large portion. Would perhaps go well with a small green salad, and maybe some bulgur wheat or brown rice if you fancy some starchy carbs/grains.
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    Stir fry

Try this... Get some stew meat. Marinate it with spices (i use pepper, garlic, ginger and crushed red pepper) and soy sauce for about 30 mintes.

Cook the meat on high and when its almost done, add in some sesamee seeds.

Put it to the side.

Put in fresh vegables into the wok, cook on high heat for about 15 minues. Add the meat back to it. Only 300 calories per serving and its SOOOO healthy! I eat it for breakfast and lunch :)

I am going to try this today! YUM!!
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I just found hungry-girl.com and there are some pretty good ones there. Below is probably my favorite crock pot meal, it's so simple and healthy and really does fill me up.

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/chicken/kickin-chicken-chili/
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump
  • allenlisa
    allenlisa Posts: 96
    Options
    fajitas, veggie tortilla lasagna, chix taco salad (bake your own chips) chix sand, veggie omlette
  • ceeceew
    ceeceew Posts: 21
    Options
    Check the boards at CookingLight.com. They're always helpful.
  • fmbarbuto
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas!!!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Bean burritoes are quick and healthy if you use fat-free canned refried beans, premade salsa (watch the sodium content), low carb wraps and low-fat cheese. And kids usually love them. Or make them with grilled chicken.

Fish tacos are usually a hit with kids too. Just choose a fish of your choice, I like any white fish (flounder, cod, orange roughy, etc.) season with a little low sodium taco seasoning and add toppings of your choice (salsa, tomatoes, lettuce or other leafy green, onion, etc.)

Actually kids usually like most wraps and they are quick and easy. Make them with hummus and grilled or fresh veggies, arugula or spinach and chicken breast, whatever you have on hand.

Agree about stir fry also. This is such a quick and healthy meal. To save time you can even buy the veggies prechopped in packages or off the salad bar if your grocery has one.

Spaghetti is another option most kids love. Barilla has some tasty whole grain pasta options (Barilla Plus or picolini). If your kids aren't big on veggies put them through the food processor and add to sauces.

Pasta salads are also easy. Just pasta and plenty of fresh veggies tossed with your favorite vinegrette dressing. Add beans or a little cheese for protein and you have a complete meal.

Omelets or fritatas are also good low cal healthy dinners when made with lots of healthy veggies and low fat cheese.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    download the menus and recipes from www.vegetariantimes.com/vegbootcamp

There are 28 days of breakfasts/lunches/dinners/snacks - easy and delicious. I make several of these dishes a week.
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    So many great ideas :) I have made some Hungry Girl and Biggest Loser recipes lately. I really enjoy them. I also made some mashed cauliflower that my kids scarfed down. Last week I made a Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf that was delicious.
  • fmbarbuto
    Options
    Thank you!!!
  • RealTanyah
    RealTanyah Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    TasteofHome.com I am actually making one of them tonight or tomorrow.... if it turns out good I will let you know
  • fmbarbuto
    Options
    TasteofHome.com I am actually making one of them tonight or tomorrow.... if it turns out good I will let you know

Love that site!!! :smile: