Not a veggie eater...

Options
I know, I know, I should love vegetables however I do not. I have a very difficult time with the texture when trying to eat. It literally will induce a gag reflex. I can do green beans and peas however beyond that, I have difficulty. I am trying to eat healthier and I know that eating more vegetables is the way to go. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    When I started my weight loss journey at 200 lbs, I was not a veggie eater, I hated veggies. I was known to be an extremely picky eater. Throughout my whole time of losing the weight, the only veggies I would eat were potatoes in any variety and corn. But I knew I had to make changes. I introduced a new vegetable every now and then throughout the weight loss. I started with green beans. I hated them at first, but threw a bunch of salt and pepper on them and ate them anyway. After I lost all of the weight, I really got into wanting to eat healthier foods, and foods that keep me satisfied for longer and focused on macros more, too. Lets just say fat me would absolutely despise skinny me. It seems that my taste for food has changed. Now I eat a variety of different veggies. My favorite vegetable is broccoli, I can never get enough of it!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Suggestion 1 is to reduce the sodium intake of your current diet. I've found that when i'm used to eating salty foods i don't have as much an appreciation for the actual flavor of vegetables.

Second, you should try veggies in various methods of preperation. Even if you don't like raw, maybe you'll like baked, roasted, stir fried, boiled, mashed, etc.

Third, gather a list of veggies you THINK you might want to try. Then try them one by one with different preperations, spices, and flavor profiles.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    - Try baby carrots raw, crunchy and delicious.
    - Celery w fat free cream cheese, cool, crunchy and refreshing.
    - baby seedless cucumbers w lime juice and salt
    - Fresh tomatoes w balsamic vinegar, salt and fresh basil
    - Frozen sweet corn w a tad of butter and salt and pepper
    - Crisp red pepper slices dipped in ranch
    - Try and try again you may be suprised at what you will like!
  • ann_kristen
    ann_kristen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My husband and step son hate veggies as well! But I found if I mix them up in spaghetti and chilli they dont even notice. I put zuchinni, mushrooms, turnips, rutabagas, squash, etc. I just dice them up real small. One time my step son was in the kitchen when I was cooking and it said, "I didn't know you put all those in there! " and he still ate it. I think the trick is to find spices/seasoning you like and season up your veggies! (No salt :) )
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Invest in a vitamix or a food processor. I hate textures of certain vegetables, but blended up and mixed with something else works great.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    There are no "shoulds." Eat what is going to fit with your goals. :)
    You might like some of them grilled or roasted. I have a Foreman grill that makes green beans delicious.
    Another way to eat veggies might be to make a chili and blend some vegetables like yellow squash into the tomato sauce -- you will not even know that they are there.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    You could just have a v8?
    * Make it a low sodium v8 and don't even think of adding vodka.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    So don't eat them. All that matters is you stick to your calorie goal. Eventually macros and sugars will play an important role in your weight loss journey. If you can try to ease yourself in to making the transition to eating less sugars and less carbs. It will help prepare you when it comes time to follow macros more strictly.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    Invest in a vitamix or a food processor. I hate textures of certain vegetables, but blended up and mixed with something else works great.

Yes^Perhaps try disguising those greens into other recipes - You wouldn't even notice them.
    https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/great-recipes.asp?food=deceptively+delicious
    (not that you are a child but you get the idea lol!)

Also, if you like fruit smoothies - you can add veggies to these things too.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't eat near enough veggies either, I'm more of a salad lover. There are plenty of greens powders out there to try that may help fill in the gaps. I'm thinking of trying a product called vital greens, but can't help being suspicious of these supplement powders, as in the quality and if there is even enough of each ingredient to make any difference. .
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Keep trying different veggies, cooked in different ways. There are practically endless variations.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Honestly the best veggies dishes: bacon and brussel sprouts...and caramelized onions and baby carrots! WORTH A TRY!!! So good!
  • loseitin_2016
    loseitin_2016 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    You might like some of them grilled or roasted. I have a Foreman grill that makes green beans delicious.
    Another way to eat veggies might be to make a chili and blend some vegetables like yellow squash into the tomato sauce -- you will not even know that they are there.

How do you make green beans in a Foreman grill?I really want to try roasted veggies but my oven doesn't work.Do you add any seasonings that are lower in sodium.Also do you use fresh,canned or frozen?I'm not a veggie lover either but want to be able to sustain my weight loss.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

How do you make green beans in a Foreman grill?I really want to try roasted veggies but my oven doesn't work.Do you add any seasonings that are lower in sodium.Also do you use fresh,canned or frozen?I'm not a veggie lover either but want to be able to sustain my weight loss.

Just wanted to answer the fresh/frozen question. Do not use canned or frozen veggies, they just don't turn out half as nice as fresh, and if you're not a veggie lover stay away from mushy canned veggies, yuck!
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Do you like beans (kidney bean type beans) and lentils? Usually high in fibre.

You don't have to like vegetables and you certainly don't have to like all vegetables!

Things I think are like peas and green beans - mange tout, sugar snap peas, asparagus, tender stem broccoli, Sweetcorn (canned Sweetcorn normally isn't too mushy).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Keep trying different veggies, cooked in different ways. There are practically endless variations.

This^

There are so many veggies & so many ways to cook them. I don't get "it's a texture thing." All veggies: raw, fresh & cooked, or frozen & cooked..........do not have the same texture. The texture of cucumber is nothing like cauliflower.

There are going to be differences with individual veggies. Example: fresh cooked carrots....yum. Canned or frozen cooked carrots....blech. But some veggies will hold up to freezing pretty well. Pretty much canned anything is gross (oh, except beets).

Work on adding some new ones to your diet.....you don't have to like all vegetables.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    What kind are you getting and how are you preparing them? I was never a big veggie eater because I grew up eating frozen or canned veggies that were boiled to a state mushy, bitter sadness. The texture of frozen or canned veggie is different than the texture of fresh. And even frozen veg is pretty good if you're careful not to overcook and learn to season properly. Play around and find what you like. Taste and season as you go to find out how long you like your green beans stir fried or how much difference a half teaspoon of butter and a pinch of salt can make on some boring frozen veg. Sometimes just 30 seconds less steaming for fresh broccoli can mean the difference between mush and yumminess. I resisted roasting veggies for ages because I was afraid they'd be mushy and bitter like the veggies in an overcooked pot roast. But they are wonderful - even the kids love them!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

@losingit_2016
    Use fresh beans. For some veggies, I add a touch of salt, but usually not with green beans.
    You could also try other veggies. Depending on the veggie, I brush with little oil.
  • daisygirl2017
    daisygirl2017 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I make a Crock-Pot chicken with bag of cabbage and covered with bbq sauce can't even taste it. Bacon wrapped beans, twice baked cauliflower is like really good potato, carrots potatoes & onions in roast. Vegetable soup, red pepper gouda soup, broccoli cheddar soup, eggplant parmesan, zucchini fritters. These might not be the healthiest but it can get you started

• daisygirl2017
    daisygirl2017 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Roast corn on cob!