Mental toughness

Options
ktfranke
ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
edited July 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
The mind can overcome weakness of the body! You are capable of pushing yourself farther then you realize. It has everything to do with your mindset, and how bad you want this! What are some of your fitness goals? Set the bar high for yourself!

Replies

• ktfranke
    Options
    4mo88d06tikm.jpeg
  • BeeQueen2016
    BeeQueen2016 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Well said. I'm just trying to get this message to be understood by my son. He is so scared that people will look and laugh at him so he doesn't want to try. Any ideas how to convince a 16-year-old if example hasn't worked so far?
  • ktfranke
    Options
    Well said. I'm just trying to get this message to be understood by my son. He is so scared that people will look and laugh at him so he doesn't want to try. Any ideas how to convince a 16-year-old if example hasn't worked so far?

16 is a hard age, because he's trying to become a man. And most of the time, as hard as this might be to hear, mom isn't going to be able to motivate him :/
    This is something that he has to want for himself.
    But you could always try giving him some incentive! Like rewards for trying new things!
    But it's important not to push him, just be an encourager!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I agree about how we are generally much stronger than we believe. BUT, there is a point. This post reads very much pro-ana to me and i just want to say that the internal motivation MUST come from a place of self love and not hatred/control/perfection.

One can only become the best and try the best THEY can be. When you start wanting to be THE best, it introduces these negative mindsets from which many mental illnesses can sprout.

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I learned a lot about myself in basic training. They push you to your breaking point, as they want to see if you'll quit when it matters. Pain is temporary. Push yourself, and you will get out what you put in.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I will chime in on my goals:-)
    - unassisted chin ups
    - 3RM squat @105lb
    - 3RM press @ 85lb
    - 3RM deadlift@ 200lb
  • ktfranke
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I agree about how we are generally much stronger than we believe. BUT, there is a point. This post reads very much pro-ana to me and i just want to say that the internal motivation MUST come from a place of self love and not hatred/control/perfection.

One can only become the best and try the best THEY can be. When you start wanting to be THE best, it introduces these negative mindsets from which many mental illnesses can sprout.

@rainbowbow
    I'm not saying that we should be unbelievably hard on ourselves to the point of self-distruction.
    But I do believe that we often let fear and doubt motivate the planning/outcome of our goals. We should strive to be our best, not THE best... And there's a big difference between those two!
    What I'm trying to encourage, is for people to believe in their inner strength and ability, not there inner demons.
  • ktfranke
    Options
    @rainbowbow I would also like to clarify that I am absolutely NOT pro-ana... I am an endurance runner, who has had to overcome a lot of mental obstacles in order to achieve my goals. And in order to run like I do, I have to consume 2,000-3,000 calories a day! I can see how someone could mis-interpret my original post, but my target audience is to those who are trying to achieve HEALTHY fitness and training goals.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    ktfranke wrote: »
    @rainbowbow I would also like to clarify that I am absolutely NOT pro-ana... I am an endurance runner, who has had to overcome a lot of mental obstacles in order to achieve my goals. And in order to run like I do, I have to consume 2,000-3,000 calories a day! I can see how someone could mis-interpret my original post, but my target audience is to those who are trying to achieve HEALTHY fitness and training goals.

Good! :)
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    @BeeQueen2016 Your example is likely working whether either of you realize it or not. It's embedded and intrinsic. He's 16. Everything for many/most 16 year olds is extrinsic. Intrinsic be damned and placed on hold. At some point he will likely move past what others think about him and when he gains that confidence, your lessons will kick in.
  • BeeQueen2016
    Options
    @BeeQueen2016 Your example is likely working whether either of you realize it or not. It's embedded and intrinsic. He's 16. Everything for many/most 16 year olds is extrinsic. Intrinsic be damned and placed on hold. At some point he will likely move past what others think about him and when he gains that confidence, your lessons will kick in.

Thanks for that. I will think about some extrinisic motivation that doesn't seem to come directly from me and see what happens. He really struggles to motivate himself I can see that and understand so well. That's why I try to help wherever I can.
  • BeeQueen2016
    Options

16 is a hard age, because he's trying to become a man. And most of the time, as hard as this might be to hear, mom isn't going to be able to motivate him :/
    This is something that he has to want for himself.
    But you could always try giving him some incentive! Like rewards for trying new things!
    But it's important not to push him, just be an encourager!

Great! Thanks for your idea! And yes, I keep forgetting that it's no longer me who can really motivate him. Just very new to me as we always have been very close. But some reward system might work...maybe through the back door? I'll come up with something, I'm creative.
  • ktfranke
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »
    I am a civilian in the Air Force and my goal is to pass the military fitness test. I don't have to but I feel I should. The active duty I work side by side with do, and their jobs depend on it. For me to pass I need to do 42 sit-ups and 27 push-ups timed (one minute), 1.5 mile run in 14 minutes and a 36 inch waist. Totally achievable...

That's an honorable goal! Good luck to you!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The mind can overcome weakness of the body! You are capable of pushing yourself farther then you realize. It has everything to do with your mindset, and how bad you want this! What are some of your fitness goals? Set the bar high for yourself!

I agree.

Racing has helped me discover my true limitations. It's much easier for me to back off the intensity or quit before I need to during a typical workout. But when the clock is ticking and results are at stake, I tend to push myself harder. Sometimes that's good, sometimes it's not, but it always teaches me something about myself.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    @jacksonpt - I feel the same. I just starting riding my bike 3 months ago and I find that I don't push myself as much when I give myself a goal. Since I am not on trails 1/2 the time usually it's silly things like racing a red light to get as far away as possible before cars start coming but stuff like that is helping me to progress.

I love this post! I am constantly playing a mental game with myself. People might look at me like I am crazy but I get in the zone and start yelling "PUSH" to myself! Such an awesome feeling of accomplishment.
  • ktfranke
    Options
    @jacksonpt - I feel the same. I just starting riding my bike 3 months ago and I find that I don't push myself as much when I give myself a goal. Since I am not on trails 1/2 the time usually it's silly things like racing a red light to get as far away as possible before cars start coming but stuff like that is helping me to progress.

I love this post! I am constantly playing a mental game with myself. People might look at me like I am crazy but I get in the zone and start yelling "PUSH" to myself! Such an awesome feeling of accomplishment.
    Haha! I'm always giving myself pep-talks!
    "You can do this girl! Keep going! Never give up!" People probably think I'm crazy! Lol! But you kinda have to be, to do what we do!

I'm running a 150K this September! I need all the mental toughness I can get!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    I finally learned this (as it applies to fitness goals; all other areas in my life I've always believed it's mind over matter) when I started working with a personal trainer. He'd tell me we were doing 12 reps but would always count to 15 (or more). He'd add weight every set. Every time I doubted myself but most times I completed the routines he had planned.

Now on my own I've stopped letting those mental blocks keep me from doing a few more reps or adding a few more pounds to my lifts. I can't do as much of course, without a spotter, but those training lessons were well worth the money for me!
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    @ktfranke - Dang! Get it girl! That's amazing!

I know the pep talks and fast paced music help push me through.
  • jinny1313
    jinny1313 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great words of encouragement! Love the positive attitude, inspiring!