14 months - 110lb lost.. How I've done it!

Options
AspenDan
AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey all, I just hit 110lbs lost, and I figured I'd give a run down of how I did it and my experience with MFP in the last 14 months.

Beginning of June 2015, I was 28, 6 foot 1 and 337lb. During a normal doctor visit my gp told me I had high blood pressure, and instead of going on medication, I refused and decided to lose weight, which she was pretty sure would solve the problem.

I looked online and found out about mfp, and started to log my food, while also researching what types of meals would make it easier for me to stay full and still lose weight. I also rode stationary bike about 2 hours a week but that was more for cardio health than for burning calories.

I elected to stop drinking anything with calories (I still love calorie free Mio, and diet sodas), and I started eating a lot more veggies, and baked chicken. Still those are a staple of my diet.

Pretty quickly I was losing weight, a few pounds a week typically and I started to realize I was only eating about 1200-1500 calories a day, when averaged throughout the week. After getting a ton of criticism while inquiring about this on the forums (which is a whole different topic I'm going to avoid here) I looked up a dietician and consulted with her. She was happy to allow me to continue doing whatever I as doing, as long as I paid attention to how I felt. If I got super hungry, she suggested i eat more, if I got lethargic or had sexual problems or had hair fall out, I needed to speak to her again...none of these issues happened, just fyi.

From summer to fall I lost about 60lb, and was super stoked about it all. People were noticing and my health stats, like blood pressure, all went back into basically normal states, which was one of the biggest accomplishments of my life.

As the holidays hit, I started to log less strictly, and eased up on the deficit...sometimes not logging for months at a time, but always using the skills and knowledge I'd gained through the last few months to keep my diet in check. Between October and April of this year I'd only lost about 25lb but I was very happy knowing that I can still lose weight (albeit slowly) while barely logging.

As of April I've been a little more diligent in logging, and I eat a lot more calories now than I did when I started...about 2000 a day averaged through the week. I still have days or weeks where I don't log, but with my deficit being much smaller now, I know that when I don't log, I'm probably not going to lose weight.

As of now, I'm 227lb, and extremely happy with my progress and accomplishments. However, I know that my route was not the easiest, or what some would consider the healthiest way. Still, my opinion is that losing weight is a very individual specific thing and what worked for me is simply that..not to be assumed it will work for anyone else.

I hope this is in some way helpful, or insightful, and might help motivate some of you to start your journey...feel free to message me if you'd like =)

Replies

• mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing and congrats on your accomplishment
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Very cool! I was pretty much the same, but an inch taller and I am not sure what my starting weight as as I was afraid to weigh myself. I broke a toe and weighed 320 a month before I began dieting and was 300 when I found this app.

I got tired of baked chicken and vegetables. I eat a lot of different stuff, not diet conscious foods. I just eat the amount I can and sacrifice the "full feeling" for taste. It won't work for everyone, but so far it's working for me.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Fantastic loss! Sustaining an average of 2lbs a week lost is a brilliant effort. Enjoy your good health and new body
  • jadecody
    jadecody Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    brilliant job
  • displaced1
    displaced1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What an accomplishment!
  • KatrinaDelRey
    KatrinaDelRey Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Awesome work! Congratulations :)
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Congrats on kicking *kitten*.

You basically just wrote my story with slightly different numbers. 280 to 190 for me.

People trip when I tell them how easy it really was.
  • AndyJBacon
    AndyJBacon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Great job! I bet you feel way different too. It's amazing how eating better and moving more (and losing weight) can improve your outlook so much. I also did 1200 - 1500 when starting, and also lost 2lbs/wk. I was only hungry right before meals, and could otherwise drown it in water until mealtime. Same approach too; find stuff that's healthy but makes you feel full.
    Continuing on, or goal met?
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    AndyJBacon wrote: »
    Continuing on, or goal met?
    30lb more to go, but I don't mind if it takes a couple years =P

Thanks everyone for the kind words, glad some of you liked hearing my story!
  • Tretop76
    Tretop76 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    chrisvwpw wrote: »
    Im right there with you. I went from 366 in june of 2015 to 211 as of this morning! Good job!

Wow congratulations!