Best Weight Loss Advice You Have Been Given

Options
So recently I was lucky enough to attend a weight loss seminar and I learned a lot of things...but the things that hit home with me are these three simple things.

1. You can't change the past. Don't waste precious energy feeling guilty over it. Instead use the energy to start again.

2. Live in the moment. Deal with the things that are happening right now, don't worry about what will happen or what has happened.

3. If the moment you are living in is a tough moment, focus on the things that you can control in that moment.

This has helped me so much during this last holiday weekend, that I thought I would share...

What is the best weight loss advice has anyone ever given you?

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I use the ask yourself one question method.

Are you hungry or are you bored? If you're not hungry then food is not the answer.

When it comes to workouts, which will you regret more? Going or not going? If you will regret not going tomorrow then go and do it now.

Also this is not a diet it's a lifestyle, that means nothing is off limits I just have had to learn my limits.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cut out your favorite foods completely; it's all about moderation.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    do what works best for you. we all work different and so does are bodies
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Don't give up.

( I had a plateau that lasted many, many months).
  • getnfitn2011
    Options
    Time is gonna pass and there is NOTHING we can do to hinder that by a second....I can however decide what I am going to do with the present moment given to me. This jouney is all these moments strung together.Make a good choice for this one moment take a breath then repeat! =)
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cut out your favorite foods completely; it's all about moderation.

Ditto!!
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Make it a lifestyle change, not a diet, if you want the weight to stay gone.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more!
    It's so simple, yet so hard...
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    1. eat to live, don't live to eat.
    2. nothing tastes as good as how skinny feels.
    3. A boiled dinner will make you thinner, but run and hide from one that's fried
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    My wonderful husband just the other day told me, "Just do it! Forget about the goals, forget about the weigh in's, just do it!" and as much as I didn't want to hear it, he's right. Now personally, I can't forget about goals or weigh in's because seeing progress is what keeps me going, but he's right in the fact that I've been making excuse after excuse and I need to be like Nike and "Just Do It!"
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Best advice is actually things I learned:

Not everything works for everyone. Don't be afraid to tweak things until you figure out what works for YOUR body!

Everything in moderation. It's a lifestyle change NOT a diet.

Be honest with yourself. You didn't gain 20lbs overnight, you can't lose 20lbs overnight.
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Being a mom, the best advice I have gotten, given and use daily is - "noone will be saved from starvation by the scraps of food left on your child's plate." One bite of mac and cheese, the crust from a slice of pizza, one chip - it all adds up and doesn't taste so great anyway. Leave it, let the kids scrape it into the trash or give it to the dogs.
  • McghanK
    McghanK Posts: 120
    Options
    1. You didn't take a pill to get fat, what makes you think your gonna loose it and keep it off that way.

2. Is about moderation and listeneing to your body.

3. There is a big difference between being skinny and being healthy.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Never eat in anticipation of hunger - wait until you are actually hungry - or it is your regular eating time....

You can easily sit at home for 2 hours and not snack - so you do not need snacks when you go to the movies, or go on a 2/3 hour road trip......break the habits
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Being a mom, the best advice I have gotten, given and use daily is - "noone will be saved from starvation by the scraps of food left on your child's plate." One bite of mac and cheese, the crust from a slice of pizza, one chip - it all adds up and doesn't taste so great anyway. Leave it, let the kids scrape it into the trash or give it to the dogs.

So true - my mother always said you are not your child's trash can...
  • kopykitty
    kopykitty Posts: 12
    Options
    Such good advise! My best advise was/is if you feel that you failed with the food- drink LOTs of water and wait a day or two before you step on the scale.
  • kopykitty
    kopykitty Posts: 12
    Options
    2 2 cute........thanks
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Never eat in anticipation of hunger - wait until you are actually hungry - or it is your regular eating time....

You can easily sit at home for 2 hours and not snack - so you do not need snacks when you go to the movies, or go on a 2/3 hour road trip......break the habits

LOL, I am conditioned to eat at the movies. So now I bring my own air popped popcorn and buy a bottle of water, sometimes a pickle. But you are right. Its a habit.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    It was probably "don't drink alcohol". I might know for sure once I actually listen!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You will never lose weight until it bothers you. When it bothers you enough..then you will do something about it..otherwise...the weight will just be there..the eating habits will be there...its all about lifestyle change....