Are there calorie-burning arm exercises you would recommend?

Options
Hello! I'm pretty new to exercising and am wondering if there are any effective calorie-burning exercises for the arms, because I don't want to overexert my legs by doing too much walking/elliptical action. Thanks!!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hello! I'm pretty new to exercising and am wondering if there are any effective calorie-burning exercises for the arms, because I don't want to overexert my legs by doing too much walking/elliptical action. Thanks!!

Hi and welcome

Your post doesn't make much sense.

Why don't you want to "over exert" your legs...what does that mean?

The most bang for buck on calorie burn is through cardio, and using the biggest muscles in your body ...arms have smaller muscles than legs, glutes etc so no

Also weight loss doesn't work like I think you think it does, you can't spot reduce or target a specific area. You eat fewer calories than you burn to lose scale weight; scale weight is made up of fat, water and lean mass; you can't choose where the fat comes off

That said arms and back are interconnected and there are a range of isolation exercises ..but possibly your best bet would be the humble push up and pull up
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options

As above ... why don't you want to "over exert" your legs? It takes a lot to over exert the legs ... they're built to take a lot of exercise.

However, if you want to work your upper body and burn calories, what about rowing?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    The best calorie burning "arm" exercises that I know of involve the use of battle ropes. You'll totally exhaust yourself doing waves, snakes, slams and other battle rope arm routines.

You can but don't have to use your legs to do anything other than stand upright while using battle ropes but there is still an isometric benefit to the legs and core that results in the process.

Your arms and shoulders will get stronger in a more contolled and predictable way by doing traditional arm and shoulder dumb bell and barebell exercises but you'll only burn a fraction of the calories in comparison with using battle ropes.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm looking for arm exercises too...I know we can't spot reduce but I want stronger arms!!! I tread water in pool with arms only but I sink quickly
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hi, good cross training exercises are swimming, kayaking and boxing and battle ropes (definitely the battle ropes). I don't agree with the rowing suggestion, I row, it is mainly a lower body power activity, all the power in the push should come from the legs not the arms, although it does work the total body your legs get quite taxed, major booty builder!
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are great. Hit YouTube for ideas. You get more of a full body workout, but you definitely exert your arms. But because you involve so many muscle groups, it really gets your heart rate up there.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for arm exercises too...I know we can't spot reduce but I want stronger arms!!! I tread water in pool with arms only but I sink quickly

For stronger arms: pull-ups and push-ups. Variations of those, in any case - such as lat pulldowns and wall/desk/chair pushups. I recommend those because those work other muscles, as well - more bang for your buck, so to speak.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to specifically work on arm "endurance", then battle ropes, boxing, and hand biking. Helps to get heart rate up if you can't work your legs (IE: leg injury or wheelchair bound).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    How would you overexert your legs walking? How much do you walk?

But for arm exercises/strengthening, weights, pushups, various things on the TRX, plus the things niner mentions. My gym has the hand bike (it's insanely boring, I tried it out of curiosity), and ropes are great, even if I personally hate them. Rowing is a good exercise that uses full body, so arms much more than most of the cardio machines, although you use legs some too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Swimming, also. Again, full body, but a lot more arm focus than a lot of cardio.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Had anyone mentioned shakeweight?

OP, you can do things like pushups, pull ups, etc. I'm not sure what your goal is though. Maybe describe a bit more about your reason for wanting to focus on your arms. Usually building overall strength is good.
  • PrairieChicken84
    PrairieChicken84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm following this thread, as I just dislocated my patella and am on full rest for 2 weeks. These are good suggestions.
  • csli0364
    csli0364 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Pull ups and pushup and weight lifting that focus on bicep and triceps and forearms will help those area be more firm especially for woman it's a part of the body that gets very saggy and loose after weight-loss.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yoga would be good too!