Sugar addict needs to go thru detox

Options
Any helpful advice how to cut back on sugar would be helpful. Has eliminating sugar helped a lot with your weight loss?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Sugar has calories, so ya, I cut back on calories but did not cut back on sugar. Sugar is in all sorts of really yummy foods. i just learned how to moderate all foods.

Typo
  • ReachYourGoalsWithFerny
    Options
    It sure does help a lot! I can help you reach your goal! Feel free to add me!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    It sure does help a lot! I can help you reach your goal! Feel free to add me!

How does this work now?
  • Lac091100
    Lac091100 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How do you add people on here? This is the first time I've used the community feature.
  • roddernation
    roddernation Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    "whole30" is a great way to reset your body and break the sugar habi. Google it and check it out.
  • fitnessum
    fitnessum Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think the best way to kill sugar cravings is by going cold turkey. Its going to be a rough couple of days but it will get easier. Make sure to eliminate any potential items out of your sight to eliminate temptations.
  • fitnessum
    fitnessum Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also, to add someone to your friends list - click on "Community" and then "Find members". There you can search and find someone by their user name and then add them as a friend.
  • Katealy08
    Katealy08 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm having this same issue. I had no idea how addicted to sugar I was until I tried to eluminate it! Even though I stay under my calorie goal, it never fails that I have a terrible treat attack craving almost daily. It's horrible! From what I'm seeing here, if I can get through a few days without, I will crave them less. Is that correct?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Katealy08 wrote: »
    I'm having this same issue. I had no idea how addicted to sugar I was until I tried to eluminate it! Even though I stay under my calorie goal, it never fails that I have a terrible treat attack craving almost daily. It's horrible! From what I'm seeing here, if I can get through a few days without, I will crave them less. Is that correct?
    Perhaps for some people.

I plan for treats within my calories. I don't have to fight cravings because I eat what I want in moderate amounts. That's much more sustainable in the long term for me.
  • earthakin66
    earthakin66 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes, cold turkey on the sugar is the way to go. Some people say that sugar is just empty calories, but science proves that it more than that, and much worse for our bodies. I'm talking about refined, added sugars. An interesting book regarding sugar consumption and hunger- "Always Hungry". People who want to eat sugar, go ahead. For people who feel they need to give it up, go cold turkey. After about 3 days (those days can be rough) you will feel better.
    Kat
  • earthakin66
    earthakin66 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for motivation you could watch Sugar: The Bitter truth
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • beverlyjlarson
    beverlyjlarson Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm a sugar addict as well. I will go cold turkey for a few weeks and still crave it. Ultimately I will end up gorging myself on chocolate bars or????
    I have decided this time that I will allow myself small treats and see if that works better for me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sugar is not addictive, and you do not need to detox from it.

If you want to lose weight in a calorie deficit, get adequate nutrition, enjoy the foods you like, hit macros, and find some form of exercise that you enoy
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Yes, cold turkey on the sugar is the way to go. Some people say that sugar is just empty calories, but science proves that it more than that, and much worse for our bodies. I'm talking about refined, added sugars. An interesting book regarding sugar consumption and hunger- "Always Hungry". People who want to eat sugar, go ahead. For people who feel they need to give it up, go cold turkey. After about 3 days (those days can be rough) you will feel better.
    Kat

please show us studies with human trials showing that sugar is addictive..

• ndj1979
    Options
    Oh, and for motivation you could watch Sugar: The Bitter truth
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

if you want myth, woo woo, and pseudoscience then go ahead....
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Elimination diets are great for weight loss.

Elimination diets are terrible for weight maintenance.

Do you want to succeed at both? Find something you can change for a lifetime.
  • JeffreyBurkhalter
    JeffreyBurkhalter Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    First, you gotta get the cookies, cake, ice cream, etc out of the house. It just makes it easy to fail if you open the pantry and there is a giant box of chocolates staring back at you.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    fitnessum wrote: »
    I think the best way to kill sugar cravings is by going cold turkey. Its going to be a rough couple of days but it will get easier. Make sure to eliminate any potential items out of your sight to eliminate temptations.

so no fruit, vegetables, bread, etc?
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Cut back on sugar gradually by swapping out your sugar laden foods for those less sugarfull. That does not mean to never eat those foods again, just to make it a habit to be selective about when, how much, how often ,,, and fit the food item into your calorie allowance instead of letting them be add-on's.