Walking for Weight Loss

Options
Recently moved to a new community where I can actually finally go for walks pretty much whenever I want and I'm loving it. I've been walking the dog two or three times a day, taking the kids to the park, exploring my new neighborhood, doing some hills and jogging intervals too (when the mood strikes).

Anyway, I'm down 10lbs in a 3 week span - which I know is a little too fast to be realistic, its just the initial water weight dropping off - and I'm feeling awesome. Hoping to keep up this momentum and drop another 40lbs this year.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Good work! I think walking is great exercise for people of all fitness levels. For beginners, it can be a gateway exercise, getting you up and more mobile and eventually to the point where you want to add other fitness activities.

Good luck working toward your goal :)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Was there a question about weightloss or just sharing your success?
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I want so much to walk. Daily. But dogs used to bite me, and I worry about dogs while walking. I actually lost count of how many times I was bitten from age 8.2 until 17. Admittedly, the last time I was bitten was 50 years ago, but the fear is still exasperating. My husband says I can carry his dog spray, but where's the guarantee that the wind won't blow it back in my face instead?

I finally did walk a mile a couple weeks ago, but it was disastrous, as far as any peace while doing it. Right now, I can't drive to a park or to the waterfront (cataracts; operation sometime in Sept-Oct).

Any suggestions, other than, "Oh, get over it!"
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I want so much to walk. Daily. But dogs used to bite me, and I worry about dogs while walking. I actually lost count of how many times I was bitten from age 8.2 until 17. Admittedly, the last time I was bitten was 50 years ago, but the fear is still exasperating. My husband says I can carry his dog spray, but where's the guarantee that the wind won't blow it back in my face instead?

I finally did walk a mile a couple weeks ago, but it was disastrous, as far as any peace while doing it. Right now, I can't drive to a park or to the waterfront (cataracts; operation sometime in Sept-Oct).

I would look into finding a therapy dog that you can visit to help you get over your (very rational) fears. Maybe a cuddly old Golden Retriever who you can visit (and even take for walks eventually) would boost your confidence levels.

Start small, maybe drive (let someone else drive, that is) around your neighborhood and find out who has dogs, who leaves their dogs out in the yard and try to map out a walking route to avoid crossing too close to them.

Walk with a friend or family member who can help take your mind off of it and will let dog walkers know to give you some space.

Find an indoor walking/running track where you can go any time, no dogs allowed.

That's all I got, hope it helps.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Hi! Walking is what I do...I have a 7 month old I push in the stroller and we hit the road every night for 2-2.5 miles.

I am trying to overcome some plantar faciitis at the moment - I hope to be able to go further once that is resolved.

I also LOVEEEE to hike! It's the only time I can get my older three kids not to fight while we are out and about. I will pop the baby in his front carrier and off we go :)
  • TheRootofGroot
    TheRootofGroot Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Walking is my answer to cheat meals.
    I'll binge big, then walk home which is about 10 miles (15km).
  • RainaProske
    Options
    Codilee87 wrote: »
    I would look into finding a therapy dog that you can visit to help you get over your (very rational) fears. Maybe a cuddly old Golden Retriever who you can visit (and even take for walks eventually) would boost your confidence levels.

Start small, maybe drive (let someone else drive, that is) around your neighborhood and find out who has dogs, who leaves their dogs out in the yard and try to map out a walking route to avoid crossing too close to them.

Walk with a friend or family member who can help take your mind off of it and will let dog walkers know to give you some space.

Find an indoor walking/running track where you can go any time, no dogs allowed.

Thank you, @Codilee87 ! Great suggestions!

Both my daughter and son have dogs, but they don't freak me out, until they jump on me. They very rarely do that anymore, but I am still always on guard with them, not even petting them. And admittedly, too, I freak out when they get near the human food.

My husband does walk with me when we go to a park or into the mountains. It's just that sometimes, I want to break out alone, just to stretch my wings re dealing with dogs. I probably should just be content with walking with him, until I get my cataract surgery. That's the problem, too with indoor walking: I need a ride.

Thank you. You are making me think! That's appreciated!
  • KarenEH162
    KarenEH162 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I walk every morning around 6am for 1-1:30 about 4-6 miles. Jump starts the day and burns a lot of calories too. Eat something high in protien before I go so I'm not hungry take my water and music with me and time flies by real fast. It's like a natural antidepressant. Try it out, it's great!!
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Great effort codilee, I'm on the build up to actually walking again after an accident, cannot wait to finally be able to say "went hiking today" lol, not all that 10lbs will be water weight, believe me you'll be burning calories, I'm 27lbs down now, really pleased with it but very slow when I can't get out for a run/walk, good luck and keep pushing it
  • RainaProske
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You people are so encouraging. I'm getting an "I can do this" attitude.

I did buy a step monitor that measures distance.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I used to run while in the military. Don't do that anymore. Walking is my salvation. Have enjoyed a walking commute of +6kms for the last three years. My colleagues think I am nuts but it has been a key to my weightloss.
  • 5K85
    5K85 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Walking is nice to doing in the morning and evening with a can do attitude
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    KareninLux wrote: »
    Walking is my salvation. Have enjoyed a walking commute of +6kms for the last three years. My colleagues think I am nuts but it has been a key to my weightloss.
    Same here. On the upside when I take a different route (due to Pokemon hide outs for instance) colleagues that I meet along the way ask did I walk, or was I away for work :)
    Love that part of the social aspect.
    It has also changed the way I look at going into town or anywhere else. We now tend to walk to the in-laws which is about a 45 min walk. Much better than taking the car
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options

Codilee87 had great ideas! I love walking/hiking outside (so peaceful, depending on where), but Leslie Sansone's "Walk Away the Pounds" DVDs are a nice indoor alternative. I know that wasn't what you were asking, but if exercising/moving more is a goal, these can be very helpful. :)
  • RainaProske
    Options
    ^^^Thank you!
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya on the walking, it's the only exercise I do, and if you walk enough you can burn quite a few calories. I try and aim for 20-25,000 steps a day which equals around 15kms.

That's a great goal for me to work up to :smile: Right now though, both of my kids are way too small to keep up for even a 1k walk and my dog has a hip injury so she doesn't like walking too long either. Whenever I get the chance to go solo though I always wind up doing at least 4-6k
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Codilee87 wrote: »

Thank you, @Codilee87 ! Great suggestions!

Both my daughter and son have dogs, but they don't freak me out, until they jump on me. They very rarely do that anymore, but I am still always on guard with them, not even petting them. And admittedly, too, I freak out when they get near the human food.

My husband does walk with me when we go to a park or into the mountains. It's just that sometimes, I want to break out alone, just to stretch my wings re dealing with dogs. I probably should just be content with walking with him, until I get my cataract surgery. That's the problem, too with indoor walking: I need a ride.

Thank you. You are making me think! That's appreciated!

Don't forget animals can smell fear :wink: If there's 10 people and a 1 dog in the room, i bet the dog would single out the one person who's scared of him.
  • RainaProske
    edited July 2016
    Options

Don't forget animals can smell fear :wink: If there's 10 people and a 1 dog in the room, i bet the dog would single out the one person who's scared of him.

They do! They do! And while some have decided to punish me by biting, others of them seem intent on MAKING ME like them!!

I watch Animal Planet A LOT in order to make me like dogs more productively -- especially that show, Pit Bulls and Paroles. This helps.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

They do! They do! And while some have decided to punish me by biting, others of them seem intent on MAKING ME like them!!

LOL so true :lol: I WILL make you love me human!!