Question For At Home "Worker-Outters"

Options
What at home workouts ACTUALLY work?? Help to lose weight and build muscle??

Replies

• lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    ganzelly wrote: »
    Anything you will stick to and enjoy can work. I haven't stepped foot in a gym in years but use all at home fitness programs and running. I do combos of weights and cardio. I can be more specific about what i do, but the main point is find something you enjoy. You don't even need equipment to get a good workout in.

Thanks!! It's good advice. And I totally get the concept of sticking to a routine and stuff. I just have a very hard time seeing results. I'm not making excuses, I swear. I have Lyme disease and a couple other issues that make it reeeeaallyyyy hard to lose weight. I did Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred for 6 weeks straight and lost no weight or inches. Yikes. It threw me into a 4 month downward spiral of depression and self sabotage! But I'm back and now I'm just trying to find some new ideas for at home!!
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender!!!
    They've saved me hundreds of dollars I used to spend at the gym and even though I used to go to the gym 6 days a week, I am MUCH more toned and fit now I only do FitnessBlender workouts...

Their programs are super cheap and for $15 you get six weeks of a workout plan that ensures you hit every muscle group in a balanced way. I used to overdo it on HIIT and cardio and then get worn out, but since following their workout programs I get my rest from HIIT and do weights instead on some days and basically can keep going and going and going for weeks!

I would rave about their workouts all day :) and yes, the results have been amazing. Now I just want to get rid of those last kilos so I can show of the rock hard abs I have underneath ;)))
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You might not have lost weight or inches, but did you have more energy? Did you get more restful sleep? Sometimes it's not about the scale at first. The scale/inches come later as you continue to build on the good habits.

Find something you enjoy doing, and stick with it. You're looking to make permanent lifestyle changes, so starting "small" is OK. :)
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I notice the people (on my newsfeed) who train and log consistently are passionate about what they are doing. So, as said above, find an activity you like. Then you can better define your training. Tennis, hike, bike, run, box, dance, crossfit, yoga...

A beginner strength training program helped me build a power base for my sport. And I like to add timed circuits to help with endurance and agility.

ETA: weighing food really puts things into perspective.
  • GettingFitSlim
    GettingFitSlim Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i do bikini body mommy on youtube! been doing it since middle of Feb and lost 25 pounds :blush:
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've lost the weight before and because of health reasons gained a lot of it back. I already know the whole "find something you like to do" thing. Just looking for some new at home workouts to try. That's all!
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I only workout at home. Things have morphed over time and now have a small home gym that includes: Concept2 Rowing Machine, Spinner Bike, Treadmill, wide range of dumbbells, medicine balls, weight bench, pull up/chin up bar, & resistance bands. I work with DVD's for Spinning. For resistance training I work with the Hammer & Chisel as well as the 21 Day Fix Extreme series from Beachbody (no - I don't use their shakeology or food plans). Probably going to go into Body Beast soon.

FitnessBlender worked well for a long while before I began Hammer & Chisel + 21DFX routines.

You can get out and run if you'd prefer to be outside (which I also do). Jump roping is something I've tried and would like to give more time to in the future.

Your gym - your call. Take it where you want to. So many options which will cater to your interests. Your original question was "what actually works". Obviously all of this will work, but only if you do it.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I do the Hacker Diet, using it as an at-home supplement to my karate dojo and running. While the other two have probably helped more with weight loss, the Hacker Diet is designed to improve athletic conditioning and practical strength. I haven't gotten a severe injury since starting it, and I've noticed major body compostion differences, especially in my upper body. It's fast and free. :)http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www/chapter1_2_5.html
  • CaraRahl
    CaraRahl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm going to put in another plug for FitnessBlender, seriously Kelli and Daniel are the nicest, most down to earth people I could have found to kick my butt every workout. They do videos for a bunch of different training styles (strength, HIIT, low-intensity cardio, pilates, yoga) and they've got over 500 videos so it's hard to get bored! Either you can do like I do and build your own program using their FREE videos, or you can pay to get a program that they set up that lasts 4 or 8 weeks (I haven't bought one myself, but they're pretty reasonably priced IMO), which you can re-use as many times as you like. As an added bonus you can find all sorts of little advice vlogs and recipes on their website. Their videos make up at least 95% of my exercise, so I always recommend them to everyone.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Try doing some HIIT sessions incorporating body weight exercises! Like squats, push ups, burpees etc. The Body Coach YouTube channel has some good little beginner ones, some low impact ones and ones that aren't to harsh on knees if you have any joint issues! There also advanced ones in there you can work up to :) smash them out 4-5 times a week and you'll definitely see a difference!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I lift at home. It works very well for me.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of videos on YouTube. Like fitness blender and even Jillian Michaels 30 day shred which is awesome. Right now I mainly go for walks and run as well do Jillian Michaels beginners shred. But there's lot of workouts you can do at home. Just be creative and whatever you pick make sure it's something you'll stick with. Good luck on your journey. :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Loosing weight and building muscle is achievable to some degree when eating a deficit. It takes a lot of discipline and a carefully laid out plan.

While muscle gainz while eating at a calorie deficit taper off fairly quickly, you can continue to use the strength training program of your choice to continue with weight loss, and maintain your current muscle mass while loosing more weight.

You need a small calorie deficit (not to aggressive of weight loss goal), a progressive overload strength training program and adequate protein. You should work this program for as long as it takes to reach your goals you created in the carefully laid out plan.

If you tend to lack patience during the process and give up because you do not see results as quickly as you would like, well this leads to derailing of your goals, so you need to choose a time frame that is suitable to reach your goals and stick to that plan come hell or high water!