okay can I have some input please

Options
erinleigh76 burned 370 calories doing 70 minutes of "Stair-treadmill ergometer, general"
1 hour ago ·(I made it 370)

here's the "question"

when I typed in the minutes (in MFP) it told me I had burned over 1000 but my treadmill and another app I have said 350 and 351 so I just added 20 to what those two said...should I do that or just leave what MFP tells me?

the other app is Cardio Trainer on Facebook in-case some of you were wondering. I use it to double check calories burned :)

Replies

• Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    i found that my treadmill was too low andMFP was too high. If you truly want accuracy, buy a HRM.
  • fergalizcious
    Options
    That depends. Your treadmill accounts for the intensity of your exercise, but MFP accounts for your weight. If you treadmill accounts for your weight, I would use that number. If not, it still probably isn't a big enough difference to triple your calories lost. My guess is that you treadmill number is closer than MFP because it accounts for your intensity.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'd google it and see what a couple of other sites say. Then take the average.
  • TanajaP
    TanajaP Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    none are going to be accurate unless its based off your heart rate while doing the exercise. sometimes it can get close but i'd suggest getting a hrm for more accuracy
  • suzicooper
    suzicooper Posts: 15
    Options
    do your other apps include your weight etc or jus done on a 'normal weight', i have an app on my blackberry for running and that always gives me less cals burned than mfp but i cant add my weight etc onto my blackberry app so its based on a average weight person
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    I use my hrt rate monitor. what they have listed on this site is way too high.
  • nickinorthern
    Options
    I have found MFP's cal burn to be extremely generous. I talked to my fitness trainer who concurred. I would go with the treadmill IF you entered in your details, NOT if you did quick start. :)
  • erinleigh76
    Options
    thanks so much. it was just a quick start on the treadmill and the Cardio trainer does use weight to calculate calories burned. Think I will look into a HRM for accurate readings
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    thanks so much. it was just a quick start on the treadmill and the Cardio trainer does use weight to calculate calories burned. Think I will look into a HRM for accurate readings

If you are just walking, a treadmill that allows for entry of your weight will be as accurate (sometimes more accurate) than an HRM. HRM can be good for monitoring your workouts, but I wouldn't buy one just thinking it is the "most accurate" way to estimate calories.