What type of training method is this??

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
Hi everyone

I am a swimmer with a new coach who has started me on dryland training. His method is different from what I've seen before and wondered if anyone is familiar with it.

Basically it involves one set of nine different exercises, broken down as follows:

3 reps
4 reps
5 reps
6 reps
7 reps

With a 5 second pause between each step if that makes sense. So it's almost doing 25 straight reps but with some brief pauses so you can use heavier weights.

I have to do this for an eight week cycle - it's my first one as only started with him a week ago, but am interested to see how it goes and what comes next!

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    So wait is the top your starting reps then the bottom your finishing? And you said that you increase the wait for each following set with greater rep counts and minimal rest?

The only thing I could see that being is an attempt at getting stronger while also working on endurance. It's almost like a reverse drop set.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Though I am not a swimmer, so I could be completely wrong. That's just my own opinion.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I am a swimmer with a new coach who has started me on dryland training. His method is different from what I've seen before and wondered if anyone is familiar with it.

Basically it involves one set of nine different exercises, broken down as follows:

3 reps
    4 reps
    5 reps
    6 reps
    7 reps

With a 5 second pause between each step if that makes sense. So it's almost doing 25 straight reps but with some brief pauses so you can use heavier weights.

I have to do this for an eight week cycle - it's my first one as only started with him a week ago, but am interested to see how it goes and what comes next!
    What are the exercises? I taught dryland so I'd like to know.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• emmab0902
    Options
    Exercises are
    Pullups
    Dips
    Bench press
    Bench pull
    Squats
    Power clean
    Pushups
    Standing pushdown
    Seated Triceps pushdown

The first two I do assisted at this stage

You do 3 reps, rest 5 seconds, then 4 reps, rest 5 seconds etc.
  • cutbackcoach
    cutbackcoach Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Protocols like that are variously called "rest-pause sets" or "cluster sets" - basically a time-efficient way to get more strength adaptations than you'd get with the lighter loads you'd be forced to use in a vanilla 1 x 25 "endurance" set, but with such short rests that you still also get significant endurance/work capacity stress as well. That's a thinking coach - he's not just having you do some generic 3x10 program, but trying to use limited time for the dryland stuff to make you faster on that oh-so-fun last length or two, when you are running on fumes and the water is getting thicker and thicker. ;-)
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty good circuit
  • emmab0902
    Options
    That's a thinking coach - he's not just having you do some generic 3x10 program, but trying to use limited time for the dryland stuff to make you faster on that oh-so-fun last length or two, when you are running on fumes and the water is getting thicker and thicker. ;-)

@cutbackcoach thanks for the great reply.
    He's one of the 3 New Zealand olympic team coaches and also does a small amount of remote coaching.

Yes it seems term efficient - all done in 25 minutes and I'm definitely sore today lol!

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Exercises are
    Pullups
    Dips
    Bench press
    Bench pull
    Squats
    Power clean
    Pushups
    Standing pushdown
    Seated Triceps pushdown

The first two I do assisted at this stage

You do 3 reps, rest 5 seconds, then 4 reps, rest 5 seconds etc.
    Progressive muscular endurance training with rest pause method. Designed for people who have to do long endurance with short bursts of explosive movements.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It's a deviation of ascending pyramid training. I use a reverse pyramid for deadlifts. It's designed to fatigue the muscle for faster growth and strength. It's very common with body builders
  • emmab0902
    Options
    It's a deviation of ascending pyramid training. I use a reverse pyramid for deadlifts. It's designed to fatigue the muscle for faster growth and strength. It's very common with body builders

Oh. I thought that pyramid training involved changing the resistance with the different reps?